Re: Election Results

No kidding?  :smiley:

Still re-affirms my predictions though…  :smiley:

I predict that It’ll be a close race for Mayor and that it will rain on Sunday.

I predict Jack will keep his mustache after the election, and The Scott will grow one.

It goes to show that it is hard to un-seat incumbents.  2 schools close (not that I disagree with some of the reasons) and the electorate seems to either be ok with that or uninformed.  Same goes for the municipal race.  The only thing that will keep an incumbent from being re-elected is retiring or getting drunk and biting some guy and even that’s not a guarantee.

You gotta like the Lanny MacDonald 'stache although it must be hard to keep clean.

wish like hell i never even voted… eeer

Perhaps people wanted to inject some new blood into counsel but decided it was too risky to replace everyone. Frankly that’s how I voted. With a new mayor coming in (experienced or not) I didn’t want to vote for an entirely new city counsel.

Apparently nanaimo’s voter turnout was less than 25%  Sick!

Jack’s lead over Scott is increasing.  Must have been those fiscally irresponsible signs.  :smile:

Yeah Jack should take it…  sorry Erika :frowning:  was hoping you’d get in there…
Lots of same old reruns… 

Interesting but wish there were more changes

Well its final (unofficial)

Mayor
Jack Mussallem

Council
Anna Ashley
Kathy Bedard
Gina Garon
Sheila Gordon-Payne
Nelson Kinney
Joy  Thorkelson

Looks like voters said they want some change, but not a wholesale change of Council.  Interestingly, and I think probably highly unique in all of BC is the fact that this community elected an overwhelming majority of women to represent them - a whopping 5/6th of Council.

Interesting Times 

A gay man :smile: and the rest all women…

Jack will have his hands full now… LOL 

Sorry Erika :frowning: was hoping for ya to assist Joy…

Posting here and on the other section of the site, with the numbers and trustee outcome.

At 12:05 a.m. on Sunday morning, the City of Prince Rupert released the unofficial results of the 2008 municipal election.

In the race for Mayor, Jack Mussallem defeated Don Scott by a tally of 1,838 to 1,646.

bclocalnews.com/bc_north/the … 41484.html

It would be interesting to see the age breakdown of those 41 percent that voted, considering Nelson’s huge vote tally and the fact that Ms. Bedard still managed to get in again, I would think that it was mainly an older voting group tonight…

Really thought there would be a tad more change, ie: I figured Erika would squeak in to take the sixth spot, totally misread the loyalty that the folks have to Bedard… guess they don’t mind a councillor that doesn’t make it to as many meetings as the rest.

Not surprised by the bulk of the results though, figured the two advocates for change and transparency and such would get in, though it will be interesting now to see if there is any change and transperency in the end or if the system just builds its own firewalls regardless of anyones original thoughts.

The vote total really dropped off after sixth and seventh place, after Tony Briglio’s seventh place finish, the numbers spread by some 400 votes

the Mayoralty was close but not as close as I thought it was going to be, I figured a 3 per cent gap it was closer to six percent

School board went almost the way I figured it would, though Alexcee captured more of the vote than I thought, or actually more to the point Johnson didn’t get as much as I thought.

Interesting though should be a fun time for Jack, maybe he can take some estrogen shots on Monday night to keep his perspective on it all :smiley:

Any idea why the civicinfo.bc.ca site would have Sheila Gordon-Payne not one of the elected councillors despite having more than enough votes?? 

HOT RESULTS FROM THE FORT
53% of the residents of a dying town don’t give a flying fuck who runs it
20% are so stunned they voted for a guy who withdrew

65% voted for someone who never mentioned their platform, policies or qualifications in their all-candidate speech or newspaper interview.

DEMOCRACY IS ALIVE AND WELL

well she has a strong following and for goodness sake whats the big deal that she lives in Port Ed… ???

I enjoyed your commentary

It quite is. People have the right to choose whether or not to vote in a democracy, and many people exercised that right. Indifference is by no means a good thing, but it is democracy in action.

It sure is a great thing and a blessing to live in a country where you can choose not to vote and have no fear.