Re: Daily News troubles

No Monday or Tuesday paper.

And, according to ThePodunkian, no news about Dan Veniez being fired or about his replacement being appointed.  Awesome!  High-5!

They did have a Tuesday paper, it was just dated to say Wednesday July 1.

Proofreading apparently not a major concern it seems.  Or they are just very patriotic little news people…

Sitting around the bar Sunday night, the PRDN team had a discussion and decided that we have nothing but contempt for the people of Prince Rupert. So we decided  to fake a technical glitch in the computers, pretending that our printing press would not work.

But this was not enough.

After a few more beers and intoxicating deliberation, and I really have to take credit for this, I said to the defacto editor “My good man, contempt and deceit is not enough for these swine of the North Coast. This Veniez business is none of ours. We need to be smart… we need to ignore the biggest news story of the year… no, of our lifetime… we must pretend it didn’t happen at all. We’ll make it un-news.”

Everyone but one nodded their heads in agreement.

That one, a collator with adorable little dimples, said in a rather mousy tone, “Isn’t that kind of Orwellian?”

“No!” I responded viciously, towering above her, my mouth frothing at the corners, "1984 was already 25 years ago and since then the world has seen so much deceit that our little blue orb is nothing more than the ring for the human race’s professional wrestling show. These people – no these pigs of Prince Rupert - deserve none of our pretense towards ethical journalism.

“Plus, who asked you? You just marry newspapers and flyers in one little bundle.”

To this we all laughed (except the collator, who ran back into her little hole) and then we were high fiving each other all the way home (because we all live in a four bedroom home on India).

Man that was a great Sunday night and so far an awesome week. I think we’ll do this more often.

I hope this clears all cloudy thoughts about the little paper that didn’t.

Dan Veniez wasn’t nearly as big of news as the Topes! (Mind you, our awesomeness was spread out over 2 pages!?)

… He was going to get fired anyways.

I hope Dan Veniez runs for mayor.

I got a Tuesday and a Wednesday paper.  Dan Veniz being relieved of his duties was on the front page of the Tuesday edition.

Hey BakerWriter, so we’ll all know what to expect, what bar will you be visiting this Sunday?  LOL…  

I hope that you take it as an insult that I consider this the best piece of writing I’ve ever seen you produce.

Hmm, that miracle of newsgathering never seemed to make it to my end of town, now I have to spend Canada Day visiting news stands seeking out a Tuesday edition that may actually exist and may actually say Tuesday, instead of the Wednesday edition that I picked up on Tuesday…

Tis a confusing bit of time travel there…

At least I’m relieved to hear (all be it by unsubstantiated claims) that they did feature the top news story of the weekend… So by Friday we may hear more about the Secretary Treasurer of the School Board quitting I guess?

The news is much simpler if it’s delivered with the date and to all the folks that normally get it. 

Lol, you guys are so mean.

Can’t even have a rough couple days, and already there’s flack. Sheesh.

With a parent who works for the DN, I know how stressfull it was that day…

Computers are evil.

I thought your Dad thrived on stress … lol

I suggest though that most of the computer errors are human ones.

I know I know, it’s only doing it what you tell it to do…

haha.

If only they used PC instead of those dreaded little macs. lol

Is it true they use 15-year old computers?

I don’t konw about the age of their computers, but is it true that they hire high school students to punch out those data cards from the seventies to run the beast?

That’s the best part of our plan… we use computers that are so outdated that when they “break down” – they mother f’n melt.

Are they apple computers that are monogrammed by Steve Wozniak?  :evil:

We tried to call “The Wizard of Woz” but our aluminum can strings were on the fritz.
Regardless, I was informed that we can’t afford help from smart people of Polish decent and so went back to sleep until the next HTMF thread update.

They’re using G4’s for the main stuff, minimacs for editorial and classifieds I think and old imacs for the sales crew. I think the image setter that gave them the problem is actually a PC. I just wanted to ruffle some feathers of mac lovers for a minute or two.

It would seem judging by the hole in the front window of the Daily news, that not everyone shares that universal spreading of love towards the paper… :smiley:

Or perhaps one of the employees tried to get out quick… :imp:

Shame on you BakerWriter…Shame… :smiley:  :smiley:  :smiley: