Re: City Hall Vandellism

But does the word or action Vandellism mean anything as far as our community goes. People put their cars out to try and sell and along comes so shithead who decides to smash the window , oh but that is not city hall sorry .

it’s funny how nobody does anything about this shit, then when you try to the cops show up

not so long ago a friend of mine had his store front window smashed out by a drunk idiot.  the cops said they couldn’t do anything.  he offered up 20 bucks to the local kids to roll over on who ever did it, sure enough (as no street punk there has any integrity) it took about an hour and we knew who did it.  still the cops did fuck all.  so, we decided to have a chat with him, and again, one of his ‘friends’ told us where he was.  him and his street urchant crew were hanging out in a back alley.  there were 3 of us and about 20 of them.  we confronted him and guess what happened…any takers?  if you guessed the cops showed up you are right.  so they do sweet fuck all when a 1500 dollar window gets smashed, but the second you confront a jobless bum loser drunk in an alley, they are right there to make sure you dont’ get the money you are owed.  that’s why they wreck shit all over town, and smash out windows because the cops protect them from being accountable.  that kid should have got an ass whippin’ and paid back the money.  to this day the deadbeat has paid back nothing and there is shit all my bro can do about it.  why wouldn’t they behave that way if nobody does anything.  beat one real bad for everybody to see, then the message gets passed along. 

Yeah because it never occurred to you that anyone who would roll over on somebody for $20 might not tell the truth about who did it? That’s the problem with vigilante justice. If you get it wrong then you become part of the problem. I admit that when emotions are running high it sounds like a great idea. When calmer heads prevail though it doesn’t sound so great.

Two words, VIGILANTE JUSTICE

How about VIGILANTE JUSTICE 3…as the first 2 were busted by the cops.

Good point–we should fix this problem by accommodating vandals.

Actually, all the individuals who could be identified after this incident have been banned from the Recreation complex completely until they sort out the mess with Michael Curnes. Also, the RCMP was involved and just because there were no formal charges laid does not mean that the city didn’t deal with the issue.

Have you ever heard of deficit financing? Yea–a municipality can’t do it. Their budget has to be balanced every year or they’re screwed. In other words, they can’t throw money at an issue because they want to–they have to have the money to throw first.

The cameras at the Pool and Civic are the first step to ending vandalism in the area, and they didn’t come cheap. Some of you say you’re tired of the city not doing anything–you need to shut up and do some research before you go bashing people who put in lots of time for this city.

On another subject–shut up about City Hall this–City Hall that. All they can do in terms of law making is impose small bylaws that the RCMP and bylaw officers will enforce.

Your issue is with the RCMP, it’s not Council’s job to go around arresting and charging people.

Nice rant, though you forget one timely point, this council has reduced the number of police officers in the city, due to the “financial constraints”, while at the same time finding other more pressing areas to spend the money, ie some new staff a city hall.

So if you haven’t the manpower you’re not exactly going to be able to enforce the laws…

You also left out accountability of the parents of the people doing the vandalism if under the age of 18…

Other than that carry on, venting is good… :wink:

That is so true Podunkian, we have been left with fewer RCMPolice , so the watches are smaller and then we have lost just about everyone in the Citizens on Patrol. The Young Offenders act does not seem to be working in this neck of the woods or anywhere maybe. I seem to remember reading or hearing of this new change where parents will be held accountable for kids under 18 . But once again I must say this shit is happening all over the community.

Yes. Justice should be in order.

Speak to some RCMP officers. Educate yourself. The fact that there are less police officers does not mean we have a shortage. We have an adequate amount of RCMP for a town our size.

Read Friday’s Snooze, the story about the old guy that keeps getting broken into. on page three the RCMP say  that “due to limited manpower they can’t take any pre-emptive approach to problems such as his”

“It would be nice if we had enough manpower to do surveillance like that, but we’re running at minimum.” 

So clearly, they don’t quite have enough members to do as much as they would like, let alone what we might like…

I’m sure if you were to ask around the local detachment they probably would like to be able to do more about the drug situation, the late night wandering youth and such, but if you don’t have the numbers you don’t have the numbers…

There’s probably a reason why our area of the province tends to have a higher crime rate, per capita,  than most others. Staffing is one, accountability is another…

Well okay, while I didn’t bother phoning any RCMP folks up at 1130 at night, I did manage to “educate” myself by looking up a story from the Daily news in April.  You might find the second last paragraph to be a useful bit of information… :wink:

Swoop on suspected dealers nets drug haul
The Daily News
Friday, April 20, 2007

Prince Rupert RCMP removed thousands of dollars in illegal drugs from the city’s streets last week during the search of two homes.

On Wed., April 11, officers executed a warrant on a residence in the 800 block of Sixth Avenue East. An ounce of cocaine was seized from the 28-year-old male resident. Charges of Possession of a Controlled Substance for the Purpose of Trafficking are being recommended by police.

The following night, members executed a search warrant on a residence in the 500 block of Eighth Avenue East. Police seized nearly a pound of marijuana and arrested the 29-year-old resident. Charges of Possession of a Controlled Substance for the Purpose of Trafficking are being recommended.

“While these charges represent only two individuals, thousands of dollars worth of illegal drugs were taken off of Prince Rupert’s streets in each of these two cases,â€

It’s “sometimes challenging” to get enough nurses on shift on a busy night in the ER, but there’s no shortage. It’s the same idea.

Also, the question goes out–do we want our limited police service going after a 16 year old kid who the Recreation Staff can take care of (Lifeguards, Managers, Custodians), or do we want them to be taking drugs off the streets?

Give me a break, Thats a line of managerial fogging Bullshit. 

To beat your best time at a 100m sprint is challenging… that doesn’t mean you aren’t fast enough to do it.

Talk to a member of the RCMP guys–don’t believe what you read, from me OR the paper.

Yes. It is difficult because sometimes it takes over 15 minutes for medics to respond to 911 overdoses and pass outs.

And that has what to do with the RCMP?

Not to be redundant on this thing, but the quote in the paper was “from” a member of the RCMP, who seemed to be saying that they were struggling with their manpower situation…

So if they were having problems in April, I’m not sure how things have improved in four months when they haven’t changed the manpower situation by one single member…

[quote=“eccentric”]
It’s “sometimes challenging” to get enough nurses on shift on a busy night in the ER, but there’s no shortage. It’s the same idea.[/quote]

Wow. It’s clear you have no idea what you are talking about in regards to the RCMP situation or the Nurses. When presented with facts you just plod along in your own little world. The only one here who needs to get educated is you, eccentric. Educated with actual facts from credible sources.

Name your credible source.