RBC replaces Canadian staff with foreign workers

cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c … rkers.html

[quote]Dozens of employees at Canada’s largest bank are losing their jobs to temporary foreign workers, who are in Canada to take over the work of their department.

“They are being brought in from India, and I am wondering how they got work visas,” said Dave Moreau, one of the employees affected by the move. “The new people are in our offices and we are training them to do our jobs. That adds insult to injury.”[/quote]

I’ll cancelling all my Royal Bank stuff tomorrow.

[quote=“MiG”]http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2013/04/05/bc-rbc-foreign-workers.html

[quote]Dozens of employees at Canada’s largest bank are losing their jobs to temporary foreign workers, who are in Canada to take over the work of their department.

“They are being brought in from India, and I am wondering how they got work visas,” said Dave Moreau, one of the employees affected by the move. “The new people are in our offices and we are training them to do our jobs. That adds insult to injury.”[/quote]

I’ll cancelling all my Royal Bank stuff tomorrow.[/quote]

Wow. I’m glad I don’t have an account at that place. That is terrible!

That’s nothing new. RBC is always a shitty national bank anyway.

Glad I never did any business with them.

Neither ‘Royal’ nor ‘Canadian’!

Please, anyone who has any regard for Canadian jobs and has an account at
RBC, give them a clear message by moving your account to another institution.
Biggest bank in Canada! Biggest enemy of the Canadian citizen with this foul greedy
way of using their power to reduce employment in Canada!
I would think that they would want to make sure more people in this country are employed
so that they can deposit their savings in their bank! Obviously not so. Do they have more
banking interests and less regulation off shore? What is their agenda?

RBC, in my estimation, you stink! I only wish that I had an account in RBC so that I could
have the pleasure of telling you to ‘SHOVE IT UP YOU CORPORATE A—S!

Let’s see if the Federal Government steps in on this one, and even if they do maybe
RBC needs to be slapped by their depositors anyway just to give an example to the rest
of the Banks! This ploy is obviously ‘a toe in the water’ for the rest of the bastards! It is so
unfortunate that we are stuck with all of them! Oh well, maybe a Credit Union is a good alternative.

The “local” branch provides excellent service to customers why would I switch? Switching could mean a reduction in work loads therefore creating more ‘local’ unemployment… The ‘local’ employees are not to blame for decisions made in high management…

If you want to make a point, switch to another local bank. Or better yet, to the credit union. You’ll maintain local workloads and local employment.

If you don’t want to make a point, then don’t switch. But I think if you’re not outraged by this, and you continue to be their customer, then you’re telling them that you approve. The only language a corporation like this understands is the bottom line.

[quote=“MiG”]If you want to make a point, switch to another local bank. Or better yet, to the credit union. You’ll maintain local workloads and local employment.

If you don’t want to make a point, then don’t switch. But I think if you’re not outraged by this, and you continue to be their customer, then you’re telling them that you approve. The only language a corporation like this understands is the bottom line.[/quote]

I have friends that work there some with homes etc, bud and personally I care about the bigger picture but can’t tell me that other banks are not doing the same. The credit unions systems I dont care for …

Fair enough. Loyalty to your friends is important. Let’s hope they don’t bring in people to replace them too.

As for other banks, which other ones are bringing in foreign workers to replace Canadian workers? So I can avoid them when I close my Royal Bank accounts tomorrow. Thanks.

[quote=“MiG”]Fair enough. Loyalty to your friends is important. Let’s hope they don’t bring in people to replace them too.

As for other banks, which other ones are bringing in foreign workers to replace Canadian workers? So I can avoid them when I close my Royal Bank accounts tomorrow. Thanks.[/quote]

TD out sources it’s call center for 1 thestar.com/opinion/columnis … entre.html

[quote=“jamesbrown”]
TD out sources it’s call center for 1 [/quote]

From the article you linked:

[quote]There have been no jobs lost because of the decision to use an Indian partner, Hechler replied.
“In fact, we have 50,000-plus employees and continue to aggressively recruit and hire in all areas across the country.”[/quote]

Yeah, this isn’t really about out-sourcing, though. It’s about firing people and then bringing foreign workers in to do the same job, in the same office, for less money. The foreign worker program is supposed to be for jobs that Canadians can’t do, or for where there are shortages of skilled Canadians to do the jobs.

In the case of Royal Bank, they’re actually asking the current employees to train the foreign workers. Crazy.

Anyway, it may be illegal. Let’s see if they back down – they’re already trying to distance themselves and blame it on a contractor.

All-around shitty. Out-sourcing is crappy, sure, but this is another level of crap. How many billions in profit did RBC make last year? How much money did the Canadian government lend them to keep them liquid a couple of years ago?

Doesn’t CityWest now outsource it’s Help Desk operations to a call center in the southern US? I called the line one day and a guy told me he was from Alabamy or Texus 'er something.

Anyway, yeah, I can’t believe banks would outsource given the billions in profit. That’s just greedy. A good call for people to stop this kind of thing is to shift your money to Credit Unions locally.

I’d do that, but I’m shifting my money directly my own bolted down safe. ha

Is this specific to one branch? Or is this affecting branches all over?

Will Rupert’s branch be affected?

It’s not their fault. It’s the gov’ts fault. They’re folowing the rules.

“We’re not bringing in foreign workers to take the jobs away here. We’re bringing them in to learn the jobs and take them away somewhere else. That’s completely different!”

Nice.

Ottawa admits it approved request for foreign workers to replace RBC employees

Thanks, Obama.

I think it is a mistake to assume that what is happening with RBC (and many other companies) is about immigration or our friends and neighbors in the short term. It is about increasing corporate profits and decreasing corporate social responsibility (when did I begin to sound like a left wing extremist?). It is about unrestrained deregulation and the ‘right to work’ type of legislation appearing in many of the southern US states. There have been a number of trial balloons floated around ‘right to work’ legislation in Canada’s recent past and those responsible tend to be extreme fiscal conservatives (close allies to Harper’s Canada).

‘Right to work’ legislation hammers away at organizations that have traditionally argued for worker benefits (yes, I mean unions) by purposely undermining the requirement to join. An immediate consequence for employees tends to be lowering of wages and disappearing of benefits.

As the story evolves I think we are going to hear more about the failure of outsourcing within Canada by corporations (there are more opportunities for greater profit if you outsource outside of Canada) and the need to enact ‘right to work legislation to allow business here to thrive. The consequence: lower paying jobs, fewer benefits, less employment stability, increased economic hardships for many and where will the benefits go? Not to our neighbors, friends or ourselves.

Although the issue is being portrayed as a fiscal one: it is very much political – just a continuation of the development of Harper’s Canada. Export jobs til you get what you want back home…

This is bad and RBC and companies like them should be held accountable, either through customer action or bad press etc. But organized labour has to take some responsibility for the state we are getting ourselves into. Unions ( and I am in one), have gotten too greedy and companies are being forced into looking for alternatives. When times are good unions push hard for a bigger piece of the pie, but when things slow down they don’t want to help out. And some of the benefits are getting ridiculous. More and more paid time off, more sick days (that just magically all get used every year), stress leave, longer maternity, and a couple of my favourites; snow days (that’s right, if it snows, stay home), and no-show days (where you just stay home and don’t need to give a reason).

So while many companies are accused of greed, and often rightly, let’s not forget the greed and abuse of labour.

Royal Bank made how many billions in profit last year? And your first instinct is to say that organized labour needs to shoulder some of the blame here? Are these fired workers even in a union?

Really? That’s your thinking process? Do you really honestly believe that’s the case here? This is an honest question.

How do you believe that Royal Bank is being forced to look for cheaper alternatives? Because they’re losing money? What is forcing them to look for cheaper alternatives?

[quote=“MiG”]Royal Bank made how many billions in profit last year? And your first instinct is to say that organized labour needs to shoulder some of the blame here?

Really? That’s your thinking process? Do you really honestly believe that’s the case here? This is an honest question.

How do you believe that Royal Bank is being forced to look for cheaper alternatives? Because they’re losing money? What is forcing them to look for cheaper alternatives?[/quote]

I did say RBC will, or should, be held accountable, so I am also turned off by this news story. My comments regarding organized labour were more general and directed at the big picture of business and labour force. For example, the practice of hiring a bunch of part timers as opposed to fewer full times means lower wages, little or no benefits etc. The companies get all of the heat for these business practices, but organized labour plays a role too.

The fired workers weren’t part of a union.

Again, how was RBC being forced to fire them? Because they were costing too much and causing the corporation to lose money?