Radio Scanner

Anyone out there have a radio scanner they want to part with? Want to add to my collection of radio gear.

Thanks.

my brother has a programmable vhf that you can get police frequencies with. but then again you need to have your radio ticket to operate it.

I’d only be using it to listen to stuff. Unless it can do 2 meter ham stuff as well then I’d look at getting my 2 meter ham restricted license.

What I’m mostly interested in is a radio that can pick up 108-136 and anything at 200mhz and above. Air and military air freqs.

One thing I never understood is why you need a license to operate a radio. Could someone explain the logic behind this? Is there something inherently dangerous or risky in talking to people over the airwaves? I’m not being facetious here, I really do want to know.

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tyne/4280806.stm

Well, I guess that would answer my question then. But since good answers often lead to more questions, here are a few more:

1. How difficult is it to get a radio operator’s license?
  2. When I was a kid, my grandfather had a ham operator’s license, and he told me that when you get a license, you have to be proficient in Morse Code, and the first license you get is restricted to Morse Code before you can use the “voice” license. Is this still true, and if so, why?
  3. Does anybody use morse code anymore?

Only aging Ham operators trying to relive their glory days, and not down with kids these days and their Internet and whatnot.

My grandpa is on his ham radio every night, has another one in the van, and he has a better computer than me! He also flies around the world every day with his flight simulator. Ahhh, to be retired.

[quote=“Stardog Champion”]Well, I guess that would answer my question then. But since good answers often lead to more questions, here are a few more:

1. How difficult is it to get a radio operator’s license?
  2. When I was a kid, my grandfather had a ham operator’s license, and he told me that when you get a license, you have to be proficient in Morse Code, and the first license you get is restricted to Morse Code before you can use the “voice” license. Is this still true, and if so, why?
  3. Does anybody use morse code anymore?[/quote]

strategis.ic.gc.ca/epic/internet … 1709e.html

IIR there is a restricted license that will allow you to talk on 2 meter only and you do not need morse code. But I can not find that reference at the moment. I’ll run it by a fellow I know and see.

You still do need 5 wpm morse though to get even a basic ham license. Ive been offered a few times by some of the old timers to teach me morse.

I started on my ham stuff when I was in grade 11. There was a ham operator who kinda started a small club and would bring in some of his gear once a week to the schoo and a few of us joined up. We setup a basic long line antenna on the roof of the school and started on morse code. After about a month though the fellow got transfered in his job and that was the end of it. But it was enough and caught my interest.

I got my first used ham reciever a few years later and sorta been into it off and on over the years.

Not hard. I wrote my exam in a couple of minutes. Other radio licenses are probably more or less ‘difficult’ to aquire though.

Not for my license. We’re supposed to know morse code, but we’re not limited to using only morse code. That would be silly. I find it hard to believe that that was ever a law or restriction, unless it was during a time of war or something weird.

Every NDB (Non directional Beacon) and VOR (VHF Omni-directional range) uses a morse code identifier. So yes, every pilot in the world who usings radio navigation, including myself still use morse code.

I have an older Kenwood Radio Receiver that picks up a fairly wide range of frequencies… If you’re not transmitting anything, I don’t think you need a license. Anyhow, I don’t know what it’s worth, but I am willing to part with it for fairly cheap. I’ve used it to listen to air traffic, RCMP and AM/FM radio stations.