Race to Create $100 Laptop

Another article about the race to make the ultimate cheap laptop from alternet.
Sad they fall into the same trap:

so brainwashed like the rest of the ignorant masses.
It doesn’t fucking matter WHAT the operating system is. Does it do the stuff you wanna do, does it do it well, and does it serve its purpose

I hate when something on a supposed ‘alternate’ media acts like the Linux OS is the reserve of some elitist cult, and completely fails to see it’s promoting what it purports to be against; that everyone who wants to run a computer should give money to Bill Gates!

Exactly…we don’t use Linux/Unix/OS X because we’re elitist…we use these OSs because they very efficiently run our hardware.

Between the last post and the time of this one:
Vista had managed to delete 15,000 odd (514 MB) files from a flash drive.
It’s STILL chugging away.
4 MB RAM & X2 processor…

Yea you 2 don’t sound elitist at all…

Weird.  Did Vista delete these files as part of a windows update or something?  A glitch? :smile:

I feel that the current relationship between computers and users has rendered the operating system insignificant.

What does an average user need a computer to do?

Surf the web. Check email. Play music. Process words. Spread sheets.

I think that with the current amount of web-based applications out there, and surely more to come, the whole “Web 2.0” revolution is turning our desktop PCs into dumb terminals that only need a web browser and a high speed connection.

Backed up /var/www on the flash drive and was clearing it with Vista. Its know to be awful deleting files within subfolders. I actually stopped and deleted the last 1200 took only about 15 minutes.
sudo rm -dfr foldername would take seconds. (dfr= “do the fucking remove!!!”)

Amiga, Mac, Windows, KDE or Gnome: you point at what you want and click to make it DO something. Who cares who wrote the code or if your chat is called WindowsLive or Pidgin?

[quote]Backed up /var/www on the flash drive and was clearing it with Vista. Its know to be awful deleting files within subfolders. I actually stopped and deleted the last 1200 took only about 15 minutes.
sudo rm -dfr foldername would take seconds. (dfr= “do the fucking remove!!!”)[/quote]

Thanks for the reply, herbie.  I haven’t used Vista, but, I’ve read that there are problems with copying files.  I didn’t know that Vista is also slow to remove files.  Interesting. :smile:

Agreed.  Functionality is the key.  I’ve found useful, proven applications that I use in both Linux and OS X.  Xchat works just as well in Linux or OS X.  Pidgin is a wonderful chat client.  Now if only my teenager would let me use her macbook on occasion, lol:-)  At some point in the future I’d like to get a laptop for myself…maybe an eeepc or a generic intel laptop that I could run Ubuntu or Slack on. :smile: