Quiznos?!?!?!

I remember being able to go there and get beer with my food when I was only 17 8)

But the greatest place to eat ever, especially at 2 a.m., was the Pagoda. :smiley: Mmm . . . fish and chips, chow mein buns . . .

Mmm, fish and chips!

http://www.roots.me.uk/resources/images/158/fish%20and%20chips.jpg

Man, that really was a while back. I don’t think I ever went there. I always liked Galaxy Gardens myself. I also liked going to No. 1 Fast Foods in the mall sometimes for their chicken fingers. I especially liked how you could get them with chow mein instead of fries.

Rupert definitely had a lot of good Chinee restaurants. But I wonder why Imperial Palace closed down…

The Pagoda guy was so cool that, if you were enough of a regular, he would actually give you food on credit, thus allowing you to save precious dollars that night to chip in on that bootleg bottle.

Mmm . . . bootleg whiskey . . .

The pagoda chow mein buns were legendary, I always wondered why no one else took that idea up to serve chow buns, I could use one. The late night street entertainment down there was always exciting as well.

OC Cafe has them. You might even run into Seth Cohen there.

I’m pretty sure No. 1 had them, and I know New Moon did too.

Where was the Pagoda? I’ve heard of it before but I don’t think I ever actually went there.

Wasn’t it somewhere around where the Belmont is now? It’s been a long time, and it was torn down when I was just a kid.

On the corner where Papa Jazzies is now, it was originally a drive in. It had this huge multi tiered pagaoda roof that was really cool, a local landmark for many years. Those of us that can even remember it are admittedly really old. That was back in the day when Rupert was truly booming and there were a few more bars and clubs around for night life like, the Royal Hotel, the Savoy Hotel, TJ’s night club, etc, etc. And downtown rocked into the early morning hours five or six nights a week. Who ever would have thought those would become the ‘good ol days’.

Since Rupert’s restaurants are the main point of this thread, maybe people would be interested by the following link posted on the atowncalledpodunk blog. High and moderate means concerns with the inspection.

http://tinyurl.com/qokll

[quote=“BigThumb”]Since Rupert’s restaurants are the main point of this thread, maybe people would be interested by the following link posted on the atowncalledpodunk blog. High and moderate means concerns with the inspection.

http://tinyurl.com/qokll[/quote]

I check that site pretty frequently… just cuz I’m nosy. It seems like it’s the same violations time and time again, rarely is there something exciting like the moldy fruit at the Crest :smiley:

Continuing on the chow mein bun front . . . New Moon does have a special between 2-4 p.m. on them (I think it’s $2) and they’re decent but the best I’ve had here in recent years have been the ones those kids sell outside of La Cucina’s during SeaFest. They use mini-sub buns and they’re frickin’ awesome! Nicely packaged too.

have you guys forgoten? there used to be a boston pizza in rupert! it was were angelo’s is (is that still there) across from overwaitea.

Nope. Boston Pizza was replaced by NEW YORK FRIES!!!

I vaguely remember The Savoy and TJ’s, but only because they burned down back when I was about six. I also remember another place called Vince’s Pizza that burned down. In fact, if memory serves correctly, the lot where it was (on the corner across from the Rupert Hotel) is still empty.

No, I haven’t forgotten. Weren’t they originally in the building just up the street from East Wind, where that computer store is now? Before it changed to the Poseidon restaurant?

Prince Rupert has changed so much i still remember the old safeway.

Prince Rupert has changed so much…hmmmm?? I still remember tossing back some suds at Solly’s…seems like yesterday.

Oh wait, that was yesterday.