ps3 today with a 900.00 price tag

Being the next Hi Def standard is meaningless to the bulk of the population. How many people  now own or will own a Hi-Def TV? Sure… sure eventually we’ll all own one, but by then people will have long forgotten about Blue Ray and HD DVD. Hell I own a Hi Def TV and I’m not all that excited about either of them. All I know is that I own a shit load of DVD’s… and I’d sooner upgrade my sound than my DVD player.

Mike

I like the though of fitting 10-15 dvds on on blu ray.  Or 75 avi movies.  I believe the bluray dics are stronger to.  I have about 200 dvds laying around my house, be nice to cut that down to 20

That’s exactly why I don’t think it will ever take off.

Most people just want more capacity, not more DRM and still 1 movie per disc.  It’s cheaper to just buy a large hard drive.

When you buy a blu-ray disc, it will only have one movie on it.

I think MiG’s right, though…

I think that we’ll move away from optical storage to magnetic…

Like, taking regular 3.5" hard drives that we all have in our computers, and making them hot-swappable, and portable, and then making set-top players that accept them.

[quote=“MiG”]
How many companies supported Betamax?  It was also the technically superior format.[/quote]

In addition to Sony and Sanyo, Betamax video recorders were also sold by Toshiba, Pioneer, Aiwa and NEC, and the Zenith Electronics Corporation and WEGA Corporations contracted with Sony to produce VCRs for their product lines.- Wikipedia

[quote]
No, I doubt either blu-ray or HD-DVD will replace standard DVD anytime soon.  I think we’ll just move to something new like hard-drive and internet distribution. [/quote]

Isn’t the technology for this already available?  I mean, there are usb flash drive with 8Gigs in them.  That’s what I would buy for sure.  Why bother with movie boxes?

Boy!  You are a master at making clear analogies.  Must be the History background.  The last film camera I bought was a small point and shoot automatic Nikon with the APS.  I ended up giving it to my mom! 

Sony Playstations, 3 of them, for 900 bucks

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi … &rd=1&rd=1

Well its better then an empty 360 xbox box.

Technology sucks now, we are all suckers. :imp: