Prince Rupert Wildlife Shelter

A coworker and I just went out to the Prince Rupert Wildlife shelter with some money and cat food and a bag of grain. We had never been there before and it was shocking. These 2 wonderful people work their asses off for no pay and only because of the animals. They have no constant source of funding and have not seen any of their pension checks in over a year, due to the vet and food bills they have from caring for all these animals. They have over 40 cats. They are a wildlife shelter yet they are taking in all these abandoned, abused and or neglected cats because the SPCA won’t. All the animals are extremely social and healthy and have wonderful runs. Along with the cats they have a number of ducks, a falcon, a hawk, lovebirds, doves, an owl and about 10 bald eagles. Their set up is amazing, and yet sad as these animals get everything that this older, retired couple should be having in their last few years. People in this town should be ashamed of themselves. If you get a kitten or cat (or any other animal) be responsible and spay or neuter them, and don’t decide once they are older and not as cute to just dump them. It’s disgusting and shameful. Animals are not disposable. The problem of animal abuse and neglect will never be solved if people don’t start using their brains and taking responsibility for their actions. If you can’t afford the money or the time for an animal, do not get one. The wildlife shelter is desperate for any kind of donation, be it $5, a bag of cat food, blankets, medical supplies, toys, time, etc. Even someone with some website design experience and knowledge would be great as I think a PayPal charity donation on their website would be very useful. Or someone with political and/or charitable funding experience. Please help them. They deserve it.

I’ve was out there (to make a donation) and it is very much as you describe. Every point that you make is valid.

I would add that if anyone in this town deserves some kind of civic award or a recommendation from the city for something grander, it’s those folks. They are very modest people and ask for nothing for themselves; but some kind of recognition might also assist the Wildlife Shelter’s fund raising efforts. Perhaps one or more of the council members will give that some thought.

The wildlife shelter’s community enhancement grant from the city was cut back from $8,000 to $6000 this year.

Here’s a few photos I’ve taken at the shelter over the past few years.
flickr.com/photos/zpaperboyz … 364932515/

They are a wonderful couple and are always so happy when you even just drive up for a visit and hopefully take them a donation also. They work in 4 hour shifts and I am always inspired after speaking with them and hope that if I should live to that age that I will have half the energy that these two have. I agree totally with what has been posted regarding animals, pets specifically, I do not nor can I ever understand why someone can so easily give up on a pet. I love mine and everyone elses too , that has caused me much emotional distress but that is of my own making. The SPCA is full and Nancy and Gunther have been so generous and loving to expand their facilities to house and care for our abandoned cats. They also pay, themselves, to have these cats spayed and neutered. Please help them with whatever you can, I know they have good folks on their Board of Directors also and a great website and I thought they did have a link to a PayPal donation site but I could be mistaken about that. I manage the foodbank here and we donate recently expired baby formula and baby food for the tube feedings and I have spoken with Gunther about somehow coordinating other foodbanks to possibly donate to their local shelters also as this is food that we cannot give to our families and the shelters can make use of it, nothing is wasted. Their website will give you some ideas on what they require. I know many people have not been to the shelter, believe me, it is well worth a visit !

Thank you for this thread. I so admire those that speak out for others. I will do all that I can to help.

I had forgotten about that place, so thanks for the reminder. I just paypal’d them some cash.

I actually didn’t know they had a PayPal account, as Nancy seemed a little unknowledgable about the internet, but that’s great that they do. We’re actually going to start a monthly donation, which should help. Thanks everyone for being so positive and willing to help this great couple and their rescues.

I have been there a couple of times with the kids to make a donation. They are always very grateful. We once had a bird hit the window and of course, the children packed it up and we safely transported it to the Wildlife Shelter. We handed Nancy some money to contribute to the meds etc it might have needed and she told us that we didn’t have to pay, we knew that but wanted to help. She informed the kids as to what kind of bird it was and let us follow her into the room where she would begin working with it.
I have often wondered why there is not more done for them. I know that grants are always reduced but I rarely see any fundraising events for the shelter. Maybe they exsist and I have just not noticed. I would be interested in helping them in anyway that I can. I am glad to see they have a paypal link and I will absolutely spread the word, thank you for reminding me about this fantastic couple:)

They have a really great website @ prwildlifeshelter.org and if you click on the “Whats New” icon at the bottom of the page it will direct you to the page listing the funding info., cat adoptions etc. ! Beautiful photos and good info ! Everyone should make it a point to go and visit, maybe tomorrow??

Nancy and Gunther also have been doing this for more than thirty years, they were friends of my parents, we have been taking them food, and supplies off and on for years. Have also taken wounded / injured animals there many times. wonderfull people, incredible work they do. Both are absolute heroes for what they do, and deserve public recognition for this and more $ support from all of us. Also something for many younger people here to think about is the fact they are both in thier seventies or older and not getting any younger. When they step down from being able to continue this important role, there should be someone able and/or willing to step up to the plate to continue this work, otherwise another big hole will be left in our community, which would be a real shame to lose. Takes some pretty special attributes to be able to do this kind of work, anyone interested should contact them and think about some sort of mentorship program with them?

We at Rainforest Books have been a drop off sight for the Wildlife Shelter since Christmas of last year!! If you can’t make it out to the Wildlife shelter with a donation, please feel free to drop it off at the store!!!

People who get kittens only to abandon them when they become cats and ‘not cute’ should be put in a plastic bag and attached to my exhaust pipe. I had neighbors that used to do that and I wanted to burn their house down as they slept. Apparently I still have a neighbor who thinks this is an ok practice since I have a cat meowing at my door all hours of the night.

Oh Cripes, can I relate to that one ! I still have an ex-neighbours abandoned cat, my fella and I set up a cozy little spot in my shed for him as I have a totally indoor cat that would not be in agreement with a new “sibling” in the house but how long can I keep him like that? It is ridiculous and she knows about it also. Now though I have someone elses cat hanging around and I have put posters up around the area in hopes they will show some responsibility. Caring for anothers pets can certainly put a bit of stress on you too. If I don’t see any results with this new cat, I will speak to Gunther about taking him in. Pisses me off how irresponsible people are !

[quote=“codybear933”]

Oh Cripes, can I relate to that one ! I still have an ex-neighbours abandoned cat, my fella and I set up a cozy little spot in my shed for him as I have a totally indoor cat that would not be in agreement with a new “sibling” in the house but how long can I keep him like that? It is ridiculous and she knows about it also. Now though I have someone elses cat hanging around and I have put posters up around the area in hopes they will show some responsibility. Caring for anothers pets can certainly put a bit of stress on you too. If I don’t see any results with this new cat, I will speak to Gunther about taking him in. Pisses me off how irresponsible people are ![/quote]

What pisses me off more is its a very affectionate cat but it now has worms and possibly something else wrong with it. We tried letting it in but it didnt exactly get along with our dog and we had to deal with a flea infestation afterwards so night after night (and yes even while im typing this) it cries at my door in desperation. I am really tempted to post names but I suspect embarrassment would not work in this case especially with the condition the rental was in after they left. Some people have no shame.

[quote=“jesus”]

Oh Cripes, can I relate to that one ! I still have an ex-neighbours abandoned cat, my fella and I set up a cozy little spot in my shed for him as I have a totally indoor cat that would not be in agreement with a new “sibling” in the house but how long can I keep him like that? It is ridiculous and she knows about it also. Now though I have someone elses cat hanging around and I have put posters up around the area in hopes they will show some responsibility. Caring for anothers pets can certainly put a bit of stress on you too. If I don’t see any results with this new cat, I will speak to Gunther about taking him in. Pisses me off how irresponsible people are !

What pisses me off more is its a very affectionate cat but it now has worms and possibly something else wrong with it. We tried letting it in but it didnt exactly get along with our dog and we had to deal with a flea infestation afterwards so night after night (and yes even while im typing this) it cries at my door in desperation. I am really tempted to post names but I suspect embarrassment would not work in this case especially with the condition the rental was in after they left. Some people have no shame.[/quote]

That is so sad and unfortunate that we can’t post names but I suppose obviously they are aware of the trauma they are causing their pet, not to mention the stress on you but they don’t care so I would assume embarrassment wouldn’t hit a nerve either. I am just trying to do the best I can, make sure he is fed and warm while I search for another solution. I know I can’t save them all but a little kindness goes a long way . Good Luck with your “adoptee”!!