Prince Rupert still near bottom with Moneysense poll

Much like the Educational rankings from the Fraser Institute, the always controversial Moneysense community rankings have been released for 2011.

The annual listings of Canadian communities from Moneysense magazine finds Prince Rupert still in the lower groupings, holding down 163rd place in the rankings, one above Terrace’s 164th place finish but 17 spots ahead of the Worst place to live in the nation, which according to Moneysense is New Glasgow Nova Scotia.

For those looking for good news in statistics, it does represent a jump of 10 spots from the 2010 ranking of 173rd.

The rankings can be found here

list.moneysense.ca/rankings/best … d1=a&sc1=0

Among the the problem areas for the region are some familiar themes, the weather we finished 151st, Job Prospects we’re at 178th out 180, and crime rate where we are near the bottom of the list when it comes to having a low crime rate (177th).

The positives range from affordable housing, to walking distances around the city.

Among some of the interesting statistics from the Moneysene profile page

list.moneysense.ca/rankings/best … rofile=163

Household INcome in town is $71,880
10 per cent of us drive new cars
17.50 per cent of us are unemployed
Average price of a home is $197,133
And our population change from 2001-2006 was a negative 12.50 per debt

The link to the full review of the Moneysense rankings can be found below

moneysense.ca/2011/03/29/bes … live-2011/

Some of the mentions of Prince Rupert in the General Observations included:

Soggy Prince Rupert, B.C. receives the most precipitation and the highest number of wet days per year. A full 240 days in an average year—two out of three—are rainy.

Prince Rupert, despite its best efforts to revitalize the local economy through developing its port facility, is still beset with high unemployment.

So much for boom town …

I was surprised that the averge house price was that high…

[quote=“jamesbrown”]So much for boom town …

I was surprised that the averge house price was that high…[/quote]

At least more and more affordable than Vancouver’s $500,000 crack shacks… but that’s if you have a stable, well-paying job.

At least we beat Terrace :wink:

such a high bar you are setting for us!

Only beat Terrace because Rupert is smaller (and therefore more walkable). Terrace beats Rupert on almost everything else.

LOL, Bring it on!

Terrace (the city) is not bigger than Prince Rupert (the city)…Terrace and Area is bigger than Prince Rupert.

From Stats Canada --> 49011 Terrace C 11,475 11,358 11,553 11,690 11,931
–> 47012 Prince Rupert C 13,072 12,907 12,830 12,863 12,994

Days below zero degrees…Terrace loses that FOR SURE.

Outside of shopping, terrace has zero redeeming qualities!

Well, I guess some people would rather have snow than the rainiest city in Canada, eh?

How about taxes? Which city wins? Crime? Employment? Education? Health care? Even the air is cleaner in Terrace, according to the UN.

I think he was talking about Terrace being physically bigger. More space. In Prince Rupert they put 4 houses on a lot the size of one lot in Terrace. I don’t know how ‘walkable’ Prince Rupert is in the middle of monsoon season, even if it is smaller.

Ah you’re all just jealous because we have 2 drive-through Tim Hortons.

Also, congrats on Terrace donating money to the Shames Mountain Coop. I hear Prince Rupert is too broke to help out.

[quote=“Smurfette”]Well, I guess some people would rather have snow than the rainiest city in Canada, eh?

How about taxes? Which city wins? Crime? Employment? Education? Health care? Even the air is cleaner in Terrace, according to the UN.

I think he was talking about Terrace being physically bigger. More space. In Prince Rupert they put 4 houses on a lot the size of one lot in Terrace. I don’t know how ‘walkable’ Prince Rupert is in the middle of monsoon season, even if it is smaller.[/quote]

Rupert has a much higher population density than Terrace for sure…which is why PR is more walkable.

I would rather it rain for 365 days a year than take the amount of snow that Terrace and beyond gets. I have lived in it…one year is great, but after that it is TRULY despressing, annoying, big fat pain in the ass…I couldn’t wait to move back to Rupert and have just rain to deal with.

Taxes are higher in Rupert, but i would certainly pay more here and be right next to this beautiful Ocean than pay taxes to live in Terrace. Healthcare…I have never had an issue…same goes for Education/Employment and Crime. And the air…meh after living in PG for sometime…I got no complaints…same goes for the water.

I dunno, I hate shovelling snow for sure. Big pain in the butt. But at least the sun is nice and bright.

Personally, I think they’re about equal. Time to move on to bashing Kitimat, I think.

[quote=“MiG”]Ah you’re all just jealous because we have 2 drive-through Tim Hortons.

Also, congrats on Terrace donating money to the Shames Mountain Coop. I hear Prince Rupert is too broke to help out.[/quote]

LOLZ…it takes just as long in that drive-thru on Keith Ave as it does to run in to PR and get the java fix I need.

As for restaurants…Rupert wins that race any day of the week (unless you like chain restaurnt type food)…ditto for night life.

[quote=“MiG”]I dunno, I hate shovelling snow for sure. Big pain in the butt. But at least the sun is nice and bright.

Personally, I think they’re about equal. Time to move on to bashing Kitimat, I think.[/quote]

Something people from Terrace & Rupert can understand!

LOL…Kitimat truly is one of the shittiest places to live…I mean why live in Kitimat when you can just live in Terrace 58K away…lol.

Well, to be fair, I know a lot of people who work in Kitimat and live in Terrace.

And if you think the snow in Terrace is bad, you should see Kitimat. I think I shovelled (well, scooped is more accurate) maybe 4 or 5 times last year in Terrace. The snow on my lawn was maybe a foot or two high.

Then I drove to Kitimat. They had snowbanks higher than some houses.

In Terrace, you don’t need to spend an hour in a bus and a ferry to get to the Airport. lol