Prince Rupert Schools reconfiguration

I did too, but looking at the graph there are around 8-9000 classes (grades 8-12) with less than 20 students, which drags the statistic down quite a bit.

I’ve never been overly sympathetic with teachers concerned about class sizes, but I do feel sorry for the 200-odd high school teachers with more than 40 students in their class.

I just wanted to respond to this comment in order to clarify the outcome of thursday night’s board mtg.  We are not in the 60 consultation period for the closure of PRSS.  The board has just voted to have the “notice of consideration” for the closure of PRSS.  This motion was made by Russell Weins.  I am very concerned about a board that votes to close a scholl that we have received 8 million dollars for to complete seismic upgrades.  We cannot (to the best of my understanding) transfere these funds to another school.  This board also votes to expand CHSS, a school that has been deemed to be failing before its time!!!  Money has apparently been given to replace the envelope on this building, but it is rumored that the real issues with this building and underneath that envelope.  So, where is the logical reasoning??  Is it about capacity, b/c the reported capacity of CHSS has been increased from its original number and is now up by about 200.  Go check out the school district website, b/c apparently it was decided that Westview school would close at the end of 2010 school year.  This is just not true!!! The board did NOT motion for this school to even be considered for closure.  Not to mention the hard work that the PAC and student of this school have gone through to raise funds for a new playground.  That is all parent/student and staff effort that will be negated.  This board looked pathetic Thursday night as they tried to push through a middle school motion based on Tuesday night’s presentation at the town meeting.  Is it only me that thinks that viewing a slide show of how happy and wonderful something can be is not enough information to make a community changing decision!!!  The board members who wanted this middle school option based their decision making on antedotal “evidence”.  For example “my cousin went to a middle school down south and loved it!”, " I went to a middle school down south and thought it was great!"  Okay Len, and Terri-Lynn, we don’t care about the experience of one person that is not concrete evidence.  What about looking at the reasons why we changed from this system here in Prince Rupert. 
Bottom line for me is, based decisions on hard evidence and make decisions with the best interests of our children in mind.  All the evidence compiled by the committee put together by the superintendent was american, which isn’t to say it’s not applicable, but even the visit to Vancouver Island was not representational of Prince Rupert due to the committee only viewing select upper middle class schools. 
It seems senior staff is pushing to have their vision realized at the expense of our children.  I am having Eric Mercer flashbacks people!!!  Seriously we need to be proactive and ensure that the “Rainmaker”  tradition (an important one in our community) is not lost because of some outsider’s vision.  Fight school closures!!!  Especially uninformed uneducated decisions!!!1  Case in point, we have maintainance staff who state loudly, and clearly that the worse schools are Conrad and Roosevelt!!!  So why did we close Kanata and Seal Cove???  Why was it (mistakenly!) mentioned that Westview is closing 2010??  Shouldn’t we iron out the difficulties that the last 2 closures caused before we make any further mistakes in our childrens education?? Shouldn’t we honour Prince Rupert and the traditions that have made out communities children feel a sense of belonging and connectedness?

Thats a great Idea, but all those pretentious nimby parents wont allow a major influx of Native children to their schools

My Dad says summed up your post:

[quote=“tapu”]
Seriously we need to be proactive and ensure that the “Rainmaker”  tradition (an important one in our community) is not lost because of some outsider’s vision.   

Fight school closures!!! 

Especially uninformed uneducated decisions!!!1[/quote]

Bonus points for the internet-savvy use of exclamation marks, including the B1FF-style ‘1’ at the end.

True enough. Although I would prefer a class of 40 moderate students to a class of 20 disruptive ones.

Just a heads up, we received notice of a special board meeting tonight at 7 p.m. The only item on the agenda has to do with the five year capital plan.

Man these guys must be taking lessons from city council with their unshcheduled efforts and last minute meetings and such…

Do you know where?

School board office.