Prince Rupert rentals?

We have someone going into our rental house every 3 months. It was written up as part of the agreement and if they didn’t like it, then we did not rent to those people. The tenants we have are amazing and had no issue with the process. Our house is also in good shape, to this day (whew!).

We heard about a guy who’s tenant trashed the house to the extent it had to be taken right down to the studs which took about 2 years to rebuild it from there. That is a lot of rental revenue lost. The tenants were never held accountable and apparently do not understand the landlord’s problem with them. It’s sad but when you look around town, there is not a lot of respect shown to our environment or many properties. The City plants planters - the street kids pull the plants up and destroy them. What are you doing out at 4 and 5 am anyway? Where are your parents?

Prince Rupert’s appearance is not much better than a slum with some of the neighborhoods being disgusting. But with one Bylaw person, how can the City of PR start seriously enforcing unsightly properties? The paradigm needs to be changed both inside the homes we rent out and within our City. It’s a social problem with no immediate or easy solution. BUT Just because one is poor, doesn’t mean you need to live like an animal. Soap is cheap and water is free to tenants. The Sally Anne would help with the soap issue, I’m sure and perhaps throw a broom into the mix. The good news for landlords is that with higher rents, you can hopefully command a better quality tenant – although it isn’t a sure thing there either. People with money and no respect can also trash your house as well as the next person.

I have always considered property ownesr in Rupert that rent out places either small scale or large to be brave souls.
Most tenants have no idea about the cost of up keeping property, some of which is understandable because many have never owned, however the general lack of respect for something that is not theres own is horrible in many cases. honestly don’t blame some owners from uping prices to avoid some of the bad tenants, but as said it can still happen. I feel for the owner who had to strip down there place to the beams. Tenants often don’t realize most owners need revenue coming in to provide them a home… the owner that has to evict for non payment of rent is often put down, well it is a business not a free ride!

The appearance around town is appalling never saw a community where vandalism of public works was so bad ever… The city tries to do what they can on such limited funds, but its a losing battle… And dumps that should be torn down, Rupert must hold a record for that…

now being 2015.
I moved to Rupert in 2011 just before the rentals began increasing.
by 2012 the rents doubled, 3 bedroom places that once asked for 800 were then asking 1600 a year later.
welfare gives a family of 2 adults and 3 children $725 for rent and $300 for food… NOTHING MORE!!!
trying to find a place is not easy when the asking cost leaves you starving with a roof over your head.
there are many people who do not know what it costs a home owner to operate a rental, so many home owners really need to lay out the finances for the tenant.
I think home owners should not post any asking price and just say to be negotiated! the landlord should be able to decide on their tenant based on the references and advise no references to be family members, must be 3 previous landlords, unless been living in the same place for 4 or more years.
I am looking for a place and will have a hard time finding one because I can only afford no more than $1000 a month including paying hydro and gas.
the one bad low income tenant makes bad rep for the rest of us-
31 year old graduate- non drinking non drug user- mother of 3 suffering rent increase because of the acts of the carelessness of other low income people who are on welfare, looking for new home for 3 years now but cant afford one!! and welfare does not allow us to own a home so buying one is out of the question. if welfare let us buy a home then maybe more people would understand the costs of owning a home from at least just looking into buying one because they are allowed to buy one to build credit and so on…

So you want to collect welfare and be able to own a home. What a friggen joke that is

[quote=“tinytedo”]now being 2015.
I moved to Rupert in 2011 just before the rentals began increasing.
by 2012 the rents doubled, 3 bedroom places that once asked for 800 were then asking 1600 a year later.
welfare gives a family of 2 adults and 3 children $725 for rent and $300 for food… NOTHING MORE!!!
trying to find a place is not easy when the asking cost leaves you starving with a roof over your head.
there are many people who do not know what it costs a home owner to operate a rental, so many home owners really need to lay out the finances for the tenant.
I think home owners should not post any asking price and just say to be negotiated! the landlord should be able to decide on their tenant based on the references and advise no references to be family members, must be 3 previous landlords, unless been living in the same place for 4 or more years.
I am looking for a place and will have a hard time finding one because I can only afford no more than $1000 a month including paying hydro and gas.
the one bad low income tenant makes bad rep for the rest of us-
31 year old graduate- non drinking non drug user- mother of 3 suffering rent increase because of the acts of the carelessness of other low income people who are on welfare, looking for new home for 3 years now but cant afford one!! and welfare does not allow us to own a home so buying one is out of the question. if welfare let us buy a home then maybe more people would understand the costs of owning a home from at least just looking into buying one because they are allowed to buy one to build credit and so on…[/quote]

You should never be allowed to own a home while riding the backs of taxpayers. If the more than generous amount of $1025 per month from the government for you to do nothing is not enough, then GET A JOB…even a minimum wage job will net you more money than $1025 per month. The minimum wage in BC is $10.45 per hour, that is $84 per day, $420 per week.

You are a 31 year old graduate with no drinking or drug problems - so I am assuming you are able to be working. You have 3 children…again WHY are you not working?

Also the homeowner does not need to ever lay out anything for the tenant, you either take the place at the price they are offering, or you move on…this is THEIR HOME, THEIR INVESTMENT, THEIR INCOME.

Wow…the level of entitlement from you is jarring…I thought I had seen it all on here, but this poster takes the cake.

The story doesn’t seem to add up…

If you are not working in Prince Rupert and cannot find a job, then go move to a community where you can get a job. If you have no skills, go to a community where rent is cheap and then go to social services and enquire about getting some skills so you can support yourself.

I am in my 60’s. I have worked full-time or part-time (when attending school) since I left home at 18. I have lived in about 10 different communities in BC and one year I travelled into Alberta. A lot of the jobs were pretty shitty and sometimes the living conditions were disgusting, but I did it knowing that if I keep at it, my situation would change.

No one is responsible for your predicament but you. Get off your butt and quite feeling sorry for yourself. If you think you are suffering in Prince Rupert, I will personally buy you a one-way ticket to the Sudan.

Oh, and BTW I do own a house.