Prince Rupert Fires

[quote=“poolboy”]The Savoy fire was started by a kid in one of the rooms playing with matches. No one died in it, thankfully. That was a nice little bar.

I remember watching the chalet burn down too . . . I can still feel the heat on my face as I stood there with a gas can in one hand, my erect penis in the other . . .[/quote]

you should be PyroBoy or sickboy or pervertboy or pryopervboy…lol…

Hey check out the Daily News today … a contest has started of Then and Now where you match up old and new photos of locations around town - and guess what - there is a picture of the Pagoda!

I wouldn’t be surprised if whoever put the contest together got the idea from here…

[quote=“poolboy”]The Savoy fire was started by a kid in one of the rooms playing with matches. No one died in it, thankfully. That was a nice little bar.

I remember watching the chalet burn down too . . . I can still feel the heat on my face as I stood there with a gas can in one hand, my erect penis in the other . . .[/quote]

Holy…I just about spewed coffee when I read that. :wink:

Oh man do we ever need to work this line into the story composition thread started this evening … “I can still feel the heat on my face as I stood there with a gas can in one hand, my erect penis in the other . . .”

brilliant poolboy, brilliant. LMFAO!!!

Is there anything in this town that hasn’t burnt to the ground?

Really - the number of buildings / things that have burned down for such a small population is staggering.

There have been alot of fires in town over the years that have completely destroyed buildings. There have also been alot of buildings saved. If you look at the buildings that have burnt to the ground, they were all old. Something that really surprises me is how this city can continue to reduce firemen when this city has such a history with big fires. Some things are more important than money.

Wait a second. Buildings saved?? Where? When?

No, I’m serious. I honestly can’t think of even one that was saved.

This is a tough question…the big fires seem to stick out in our minds. Hmmm…Im thinking… Mac Millan Fish although very much damaged was saved to the point where it could re-open. I think it was the fillet plant that was saved. Lots of house fires I’m sure. The strip warehouse in the Industrial park was saved because the fire was kept to one unit. That fire was a long time ago. The building between West End Grocery and the Daily News caught on fire a couple of years ago and is still there. There was a house on Alfred St last year that is still there that had a fire in it. I seem to remember a fire in Raffles a few years ago. North Coast Timber had a fire in it I think while it was still open. There must be more. Maybe someone else can think of a few

hmmmm there was a fire a year ago on PRB across from CHSS that seriously injured a woman and caused mega damage to her house… the house is still there, and the woman is recovering however she must get around in a wheelchair now.

I can definately think of more houses and businesses that have burned to the ground than were saved.

there was a big fire at broadwater industries a while back, that was mostly in the roof i think (maybe more than 5 years ago? i’m not sure if this one was mentioned yet…) that same night i remember hearing that there was something like two or three house fires - kept the firefighters goin all night…

also, just in november, there was a big house fire right near my house, on 6th east and ambrose ave.
and last november, elizabeth apartments… seems that the day before i’m about to come home for november long weekend theres a big fire in town (at least for the last two years since i’ve been away)

Yeah, a lot of fires seem to happen just before Christmas. That God’s one funny fuck, ain’t he?

I also remember the fire at the old East Wind groceries up on 3rd Avenue. I don’t remember what they put in there after the fire.

Well I know Baker Boy (used to be Rupert Bakery) had a fire a long long time ago. The top of the building was burnt down but the rest was okay.

There was also the Hilbrener block i think it was call on third ave next to the government services office that burn down. I think that was some time around 1990. My wife had a friend that was killed in that fire. There was also a grocery store on sixth east of the three way stop sign that burnt down, that was about 1979. It’s still an empty lot.

Yeah that fire beside the gov’t services was around 1990, cuz I was still a bantam in bowling, and my coach and her daughter and gradaughter died in the fire.

There was a small store on 6th east on the George Casey block that burnt down sometime in the 90’s… that is still an empty lot to this day as well.

I’m also surprised no one has rebuilt anything on the old Kaien Sports site on 3rd, kitty corner from Shoppers. That burnt down sometime in the early 90’s I believe as well.

Was that McKay Groceries? I thought that burned down sometime around '81 or '82.

Yes, that’s the name of the grocery store and I think you are right about the year. I was trying to relate it to the tlme I worked at BC Packers in Seal Cove.

Here’s another save I’ve heard about this weekend. Apparently there was a fire at Acropolis Manor this weekend. I don’t have any other details but I see that the building is still standing there.