Prince Rupert Fires

What year did the Savoy burn down? I remember standing up on the hill with my dad watching it burn for a few hours. Stardog I think you might have been older than 6, cuz my memory sucks, and I’m a few years younger than you :smiley:

Boston Pizza used to be a cool place… the only restaurant with a party room in the back where the kids could run rampant and not disturb anyone.

Farwest Sports (where Creative Systems is now) used to be a restaurant before it was a sports store? I must have been too young to remember that.

Boston Pizza used to be up from Creative where Digital Printing is. That was back in the 70’s, maybe while you were still just a glimmer in your daddys eye.

Ah, the only place I remember Boston Pizza being is where Angelos was, and La Villa is now.

OK here’s my where was that question … I recall a health food store somewhere on 3rd Ave - I think near City Hall - it had old wooden floors if I remember. This would have been in the late 80s or very early 90s - it was gone by the time I moved here in 93.

hmmm I don’t remember that. The only health food place I remember is Mr Natural… and that’s been there for a long time too.

Yeah, I remember now. That video store moved in there for a while too. 24 video, was it not?

[quote=“smartass”]

. That was back in the 70’s, maybe while you were still just a glimmer in your daddys eye.

Ah, the only place I remember Boston Pizza being is where Angelos was, and La Villa is now.[/quote]

Where did Digital Printing go???

[quote]
Yeah, I remember now. That video store moved in there for a while too. 24 video, was it not?[/quote]

Yup…24 Video in the late 80’s/early 90’s.

Digital Printing is on Fulton street now.

Fulton?? Where would they fit on Fulton??

Digital Printing is on FRASER Street. If you drive down 3rd Avenue and turn left where KFC used to be, you’ll run into it if you speed through the stop sign.

I remember the Savoy burning down, but not the year. I also remember the Royal and TJ’s burning down. The Islander Hall used to be in the same building as TJ’s.

Like smartass, I don’t recall a halth food store on 3rd, and I’m usually pretty good at history stuff where Rupert is concerned.

Anyone remember Video Station on 3rd Avenue? They had little plastic discs for each movie that you brought up to the counter in order to rent a particular flick. They had them colour coded…one for VHS and one for Beta.

When you think about it, we have gone through quite a few video stores.

[quote=“stanley19”]Digital Printing is on FRASER Street. If you drive down 3rd Avenue and turn left where KFC used to be, you’ll run into it if you speed through the stop sign.

I remember the Savoy burning down, but not the year. I also remember the Royal and TJ’s burning down. The Islander Hall used to be in the same building as TJ’s.

Like smartass, I don’t recall a halth food store on 3rd, and I’m usually pretty good at history stuff where Rupert is concerned.

Anyone remember Video Station on 3rd Avenue? They had little plastic discs for each movie that you brought up to the counter in order to rent a particular flick. They had them colour coded…one for VHS and one for Beta.

When you think about it, we have gone through quite a few video stores.[/quote]

Yeah, I remember that. I also remember a friend of mine rented a game from them not too long before they went out of business, and he forgot to return it. He got all worried about the late fees, only to find that the store had shut down and thus the game was pretty much his!

Fulton, Fraser… both start with F’s… close enough.

The health food store you are talking about was one of the first stores in the front of the old Capitol theater after it closed. It was called ‘Good health to you’ I know the ex-owner very well. The old Rupert Hotel burned down in 1976, the Royal Hotel burned like two weeks later. The Savoy burned in 1986 and the Islander Hall and Tokyo Jims night club in the basement burned in about 1989 I’m not certain on that one.

We used to come here years ago to visit family long before I acutally moved here in '86 and I recall eating there a few times. Once we came out and there were 2 fights going on outside the place on the street. Acutally one fight, if I recall, started inside the place and moved outside.

I was probably 9 or 10 at the time.

I moved here in July '86 and I think it was in '87 that the Savoy burned down. I remember watching it burn down. I was at a friends house on Fulton and we could see the smoke and took a walk to see what was happening.

TJ’s burned before '86 cause there was just an empty lot across the street from the Rupert when I came here.

Anyone rememeber Mt. Hays chalet burning down?

[quote=“VMS”]

I moved here in July '86 and I think it was in '87 that the Savoy burned down. I remember watching it burn down. I was at a friends house on Fulton and we could see the smoke and took a walk to see what was happening.

TJ’s burned before '86 cause there was just an empty lot across the street from the Rupert when I came here.

Anyone rememeber Mt. Hays chalet burning down?[/quote]

Verrrry interesting that the Sav burnt down shortly after your arrival. I’m guessing that Mt.Haze chalet burned down after you came to town for a “visit”.

Just cuz I’m paranoid doesn’t mean everyone’s not out to get me!

[quote=“Dementia Pugulistica”]

[quote=“VMS”]

Verrrry interesting that the Sav burnt down shortly after your arrival. I’m guessing that Mt.Haze chalet burned down after you came to town for a “visit”.

Just cuz I’m paranoid doesn’t mean everyone’s not out to get me![/quote]

Um ya ok, whatever. :confused:

Acutally I was living on 7th west at the time and had a great view of the fire. Was not a good thing. I used to work on the hill as a gondola lift operator for 2 summers and part of a winter.

Sometimes in the summer you could be at the top of the hill in sunshine the whole day, while the rest of the city was covered in fog. About tower 9 or 10 you’d break out of the cloud/fog and be in bright sun. It was like you were on top of the world as all you could see for miles was just the tops of the clouds.

Had a lot of fun at the chalet.

[quote=“VMS”]

Sorry my mistake rather than rely on memory I actually checked archives. The Islander hall burned on Aug.30 1983, the Savoy Hotel fire was Nov.04 1989 and Mount Hayes Gondola was Jan.13 1995 Holy crap I must be getting old, my memory was waaay off.

[quote=“chaos”]Sorry my mistake rather than rely on memory I actually checked archives. The Islander hall burned on Aug.30 1983, the Savoy Hotel fire was Nov.04 1989 and Mount Hayes Gondola was Jan.13 1995
Holy crap I must be getting old, my memory was waaay off.[/quote]

Did the archives say what caused those fires? I remember something about people climbing to the top of Mt. Hays and lighting a campfire in the chalet, which got out of control. But what about the other two fires?

Also, did they ever determine what started the J.S. McMillan fire?

The Savoy fire was started by a kid in one of the rooms playing with matches. No one died in it, thankfully. That was a nice little bar.

I remember watching the chalet burn down too . . . I can still feel the heat on my face as I stood there with a gas can in one hand, my erect penis in the other . . .