Prince Rupert Fire Department

You haven’t seen some of the new FF have you. Tell me how many FF are over weight in Prince Rupert ?

You do also know that they are called to every Ambulance call also. So if you have 2 ambulance calls at once and a fire what are you going to do. Start calling all the volunteers let’s get ready now for the fire. Would be such a delayed response time.

[quote=“Speedy”]
You do also know that they are called to every Ambulance call also. So if you have 2 ambulance calls at once and a fire what are you going to do. Start calling all the volunteers let’s get ready now for the fire. Would be such a delayed response time.[/quote]

And what would be the response time right now if the same thing happened?

[quote=“JackAnderson”]

[quote=“Crazy Train”]
Of course residency is not a requirement but if you’re talking about the past as if its the present then perhaps your not being here doesn’t give you a realistic view of how things actually are.

We all get old, even those in positions that we depend on to act in our times of need. Insulting these people who have dedicated their lives for the safety and betterment of others is out of line. I don’t care what line of work a person is in or from what walk of life you come from, how many 50 year olds are in greats shape? Especially those who have exposed their bodies to extreme physical and mental stress? As far as I know, in the fire department, people do move into different roles as they get older where their experience is maximized rather than their physical ability. The younger firefighters are more often required to perform the more physically demanding tasks.

What makes you say they’re not physically capable anyways? Did you see something on YouTube from your home far, far away? When is the last time you heard of a fireman in PR getting killed or hurt on the job, or better yet a resident being hurt or killed because a fireman wasn’t able to do his job? How about never. Why, because its a non-issue. These men are more than capable despite whatever limitations you perceive them to have.

Same pay rate as the Big Apple? You had better check your sources because their salaries are tied into Vancouver firemens salaries.

Your parents taught you respect? It really doesn’t show, honestly.[/quote]

How things actually are in PR? I’m pretty sure that things have not changed so greatly in the 3 years since I left. However, if the age of enlightenment has arrived, I’d love to see some examples.

The extreme mental and physical stress of being a PR firefighter? C’mon. Talk serious here. The biggest stress they face is who is gonna grab the groceries at Safeway that day. Pop out for a few wino-down calls which the ambulance guys take care of and that is 99% of their year. And there are plenty of 50 and 60 year olds that stay in shape. There are a good number of firefighters down here of a comparable age and they are healthy, in-shape individuals. Along with paramedics and police officers. It’s a personal choice that each one makes …,“I’ll stay in shape to be capable in my job or I won’t.” It appears you are a little cheerleader for the boys, good for you. Everyone needs apple polishers around. But your bleating about the hazards and stresses they face is ridiculous.

And what is there for different roles for them to move into? Chief and assistant chief … what else?

As for why do I think they are incapable? Because I have two good eyes and would see them at work and at play. The majority are not close to being physically fit and show no desire to get themselves in shape. I won’t mention names, that is going down a path that ends up all wrong.

PR wants to have a fit and eager FD? PR wants to save tax dollars? PR wants to have a well equipped FD? Lose what you have, keep two competent and experienced members as full time and recruit eager volunteers that need to pass rigorous physical and mental training. Problem solved. Maybe you could put some of them into that street sweeper which seems to driving around 6 days a week, they already know the streets.

But hey, it’s your tax dollars. You want to fund those guys at over $100K per man, fly at 'er. I’ve done my penance up there. That fire department and the well paid city workers were why my 45 year old $225K house up there had a tax bill of almost $3000/yr and my new build $650K house here has a tax bill of $2500/yr.[/quote]

It’s quite obvious that you and I have a strong difference in opinion, and that’s ok. I’ve had friends who have been firemen here and in other areas of the province who have shared some of their experiences with me so sure, I stand by my comments about physical and mental stress. I don’t know if I’d call it fortunate to have heard some of these accounts but let me tell you that it certainly is enlightening. I’ve said it before, I see all emergency service workers as being on the front lines for all of the bullshit and horror that happens in our society. Then some asshole like you makes needless comments about their hearts exploding and not being able to walk up a flight of stairs. Some of these men have been my friends over the years and I know what they are capable of. I have nothing else to say to you.

[quote=“Crazy Train”]
It’s quite obvious that you and I have a strong difference in opinion, and that’s ok. I’ve had friends who have been firemen here and in other areas of the province who have shared some of their experiences with me so sure, I stand by my comments about physical and mental stress. I don’t know if I’d call it fortunate to have heard some of these accounts but let me tell you that it certainly is enlightening. I’ve said it before, I see all emergency service workers as being on the front lines for all of the bullshit and horror that happens in our society. Then some asshole like you makes needless comments about their hearts exploding and not being able to walk up a flight of stairs. Some of these men have been my friends over the years and I know what they are capable of. I have nothing else to say to you.[/quote]

Strong differences in opinion, yes. But I’ll take the high road and avoid childish name calling.

I have friends in the PR FD as well. I think a few of them are quite competent. Unfortunately they are stuck with deadwood they can’t get rid of and it drags the quality of the FD down. That alone is a huge problem. Then asking the citizens to pay for a FD when the rest of the city infrastructure requires money is too much.

[quote=“JackAnderson”]Strong differences in opinion, yes. But I’ll take the high road and avoid childish name calling.
[/quote]

Good to hear that. Take a look through your older posts and perhaps edit them to remove your ‘childish name calling’ ?

Only a complete idiot would bash their local fire department… I for one support the PRFD and all the hardworking staff who help to ensure our safety :stuck_out_tongue:

Only a complete idiot uses this kind of statement in a reasonable discussion.

[quote=“drummerboy”]
Only a complete idiot uses this kind of statement in a reasonable discussion.[/quote]

How about you send private messages rather than flaming people on our forums? These comments are not helpful.
Thank you.