Prepare for more floods, you never know

I went up to Shames this weekend and the snow pack is HUGE.  There’s gonna be a lot of water pouring off those mountains again this year.  I remembered the floods, landslides and the hoarding last year.  We kinda hit a low point, it was funny, but low.
Start thinking about any essentials you might need now like medication, food for special diets, children’s essentials,  beer, fuel.  We also had our gas line killed a couple of times by slides.  Its warm and that time of year.  And with our wet weather, the Skeena could flood again.
Maybe the fighting over milk and gas doesn’t have to happen again.
peace :wink:

I was out of town last year when the highway flooded, but I remember having a conversation with a friend who was in town when it was going on.

After reading HTMF, I asked him about the battles for milk and gas and whatnot, and he said “While all those suckers were fighting over bread and milk at Safeway, they left me plenty of time to clean out the liquor store.”

I really hope the hoarding doesn’t happen again this year. I was somewhat embarassed at people’s behavior. Maybe we aren’t as nice and generous as we claim to be here?

ya if the snow all melts it will be worse on the skeena… and Im sure its going to be…

Just as long as it’s all over by April.  We’re going to try really hard to be up there mid to late April

You’ll be okay.  The flooding, if there is any, won’t likely happen until June.  Once it gets nice and hot is when the melting snow quickly pours down the mountains and into the rivers.

The snow pack at Shames is quite a bit smaller this year. Last year they broke 500cm that was all the measuring stick would go and it was covered. This year they’re at 326 cm.

shamesmountain.com/mountain.html

There’s a big way to go to catch that. I’m not sure how the snow pack is doing in other watersheds.

Maybe the papers will run a story after seeing this thread. How 'bout it guys wanna give us the real scoop?

Oh?  Really?  Here, on Vancouver Island, any flooding we get happens in Fall or Spring.  Not in SUMMER, that’s pretty crazy! Hopefully we’ll be up there before the flooding then.  I’d hate to get caught in it on our way up!

Here is the link to the BC Ministry of Environment River Forecast Centre - env.gov.bc.ca/rfc/river_fore … lletin.htm - where you can read the latest snowpack reports.

As of Feb 1st the Skeena basin was at about 95% of normal but some areas around Terrace are at 160% of normal.  There is still a ways to go but things look OK for this time of year.

I remember the day everyone first freaked out and started lining up for gas. That night I left the gym and drove in and fueled up with no problems. I also remember seeing people in Safeway with cart loads of milk. That was truely pathetic since unless they were bathing in it there was no way they were going to use it all before it went bad.

I know someone who bought ten jugs of milk. When asked how they were going to drink it all they replied, “we’re going to freeze it”.

:unamused: You can’t freeze milk, it separates.

You can totally freeze milk.  No problem.  My Aunt did it all the time, and I still have friends who do.  It’s not a big deal.

Gross, it goes all lumpy and looks disgusting.

Fresh milk for me thanks.

ha ha…  Well, no milk for me!  I don’t drink it anymore…  So, if I live up there when the flooding happens, I’ll be the freak hoarding all the Rice Dream.

[quote=“photoguy”]
The snow pack at Shames is quite a bit smaller this year. Last year they broke 500cm that was all the measuring stick would go and it was covered. This year they’re at 326 cm. [/quote]

But remember, we still have our spring break dump to go - two years running of loads of snow in mid-March. I seem to recall, in 2007, that it was snowing right up until the melt started.

[quote=“bubbasteve735”]
I really hope the hoarding doesn’t happen again this year. I was somewhat embarassed at people’s behavior. Maybe we aren’t as nice and generous as we claim to be here? [/quote]

Nor as intelligent. Even with the example of floods isolating us (by road) - we still haven’t looked to address food security.

No - food security does not mean putting lock on your fridge. It means that all people have affordable access to healthy food choices…not the case for many northerners. Affordable access to imported, highly processed, nutritionally devoid options - yes.

silly times, that was funny, would be funnier if it did happen all over again this year, lol
:smiley: :unamused:

We better release Princess of Power from her chains because she won’t be able to swim with all her hardware.