Power Surges

I was wondering if anyone has had any problems with power surges tonite.

About once an hour here for most of the afternoon, evening, now night yep.

It’s ok guys, I just had some flatulence.

I’m in Terrace, and it was doing the same thing here all evening. Nothing too serious, but definitely a bit of surging.

Yep. Lots of little surges. It is a very good idea to have your PC plugged into a good surge protector. I have my PCs plugged into a UPS (uninterrupted power supply). These items protect your PC from surges and power failures.

Even here in FSJ. Power surge at about 5 pm took out my web server. In spite of UPSs and surge protection.
Getting tired of this - lost four servers, five UPSs, umpteen bars & routers and about $10,000 worth of commercial wireless APs so far this year due to shit power grid here.

What I’d really like to know is why ONLY Intel-based dedicated servers go. The home made AMD based off-the-shelf things in server cases never do. Every single one of those survived until I decided to upgrade the guts… and why ALWAYS on a Friday at quitting time or when I’m on holiday?

$10,000 so far this year? Wow, if this trend continues then just by moving away from FSJ it would be like having a $17,000 gain. Per year.

Herbie aren’t those expensive Belkin surge protectors insured for electronice mine says up to $60,000 worth ?

You believe they’re going to pay out? Pure bullshit on those promises - there’s no way to enforce them.

I could’ve made $40,000 a year even if I was unemployed if I never moved here. Just on the value of my home down south! The plain jane house I grew up in is now listed at $1.2 million. That’s absurd!

There were reports of major solar sun flares last week that were going to start hiting the Earth last Thursday, and continue for at least a week. Maybe that’s the connection.

redundant post deleted

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”] Power surge at about 5 pm took out my web server. In spite of UPSs and surge protection.
Getting tired of this - lost four servers, five UPSs, umpteen bars & routers and about $10,000 worth of commercial wireless APs so far this year due to shit power grid here.[/quote]

You might consider solutions that actually claim protection. A power strip or UPS does not even claim to protect from typically destructive transients. Easy to see. If adjacent to electronics, then it either blocks a surge. Or absorbs it. Read its manufacturer spec numbers. Those near zero joules numbers are just large enough that it can claim 100% protection in advertising, sales brochure, and other half truth sources. Consider superior and less expensive solutions from other and more responsible companies.