Power out, in the dark

We didn’t sustain any damage at all really. I heard the garbage cans moving around outside, so went and brought them in. The sign for our security company was busted. And a spare hood for my dad’s camaro which was leaning against the house fell over, but that’s about it.

The wall in my bedroom was shaking like mad with each gust though. Rattling my bed as it’s up against the wall.

Hope everyone else is okay.

Power’s back here, after another quick outage.

Hey Photoguy, this is my favourite: flickr.com/photos/zpaperboyz/5069620846/

Pretty wicked night ! Live on 11th. East and was quite a show with the transformers blowing and what I thought was lightning. Glad it is over and commend BC Hydro for their quick responce, saw the trucks up my street around 2AM, power returned around 1:30PM today. Does anyone else have their cable service yet though? My fella and I both are without, catching up on unseen DVD’s so that’s good ! Dust the buggers off !!

It’s true, no Natural Gas for 2-3 days in PR. PNG fellows were shutting off gas lines to people’s homes earlier today in Port Edward. I saw two fellows I know from Terrace by Morsby Park from PNG and they told me that yes the gas to Rupert will be running out tonight and will be off for 2-3 days. Just so sad that there is a lack of information from the City, no one place to meet and gather emergency information.

I also spoke to a couple that belong to the ham radio club and they would like to help but can’t. Some believe they are illegal club but they have been running ham radios before WWII in our community so I don’t get it why the City does not utilize the club to get information out. The club members meet every Saturday morning at the Ocean View for breakfast and welcome anyone who is interested. Thank you to those club members who are dedicated in keeping communication going. :smile:

Codybear, I live on the East side too and no cable. I was at a friend’s place on the West side who has HD cable and he was ok. Like yourself, I just finished reviewing an old dvd and it was good.

You are correct with hats off to the BC Hydro fellows and a huge thank you. If all goes well, we will be able to cook our turkey tomorrow. :smile: It was great having my first cup of coffee just after the power went back on… mmmm good!!

Just a quick reminder to viewers on HTMF, most restaurants run with natural gas and restaurants may have a problem for the next few days.

Bettyboop, I thought we had an emergency special services team (I think that is what it is called !), I thought Micheal Curnes was the head honcho of that one. If so, were they not out checking safety issues and coordinating with other services in town or is that another “used to have in Rupert”? Glad you are OK and you are right, that first cuppa tasted great but I was making hot chocolate through the night with warm tap water, served the purpose anyway!!

Hearing all sort of rumors surrounding the gas… someone from the coast guard told me that big users will be cut and that small users such as homes should be okay… ??
I find it weird that HD Cable is working and regular cable is not… is city west too cheap to send someone in to throw a switch??

ESS says that :
They won’t be doing anything until maybe tomorrow. Dave McKenzie thinks we should all be able to suck it up and figure out how to keep warm on our own. Smart thinking!

News about the gas line: Pacific Northern Gas pipeline cut

More photos from today, sent in by Carol via Ellen. Thanks!

If you’re having trouble with your digital cable not working after the power outage, try unplugging the power source where it plugs into the back of the digital box, wait 10 - 15 seconds, then plug your box back in. If it’s an HD box, it might take a while for it to redownload the programming, so leave it for about 1/2 an hour. Don’t turn it back on until the clock on the front shows the correct time. Check the guide. If still shows no data, then it needs more time.

I had unplugged my box last night to prevent it getting fried by a power surge, and it did take mine a while to redownload. I have a HD box, and it’s working fine now.

I hope that helps.

It registered 154.84 kph at ridley island last night. IT was abit breezey last nite !!!

My gas furnace did not start-up this morning, so perhaps the gas is shut off. Thankfully I’ve got three electric(oil) heaters that I bought the last time the gas went out.

I’m not sure, but I would think that Micheal Curnes would have relinquished his position at emergency social services when he left for the hospital, so I guess it would be Rudy Kelly’s world now that he took on the job with the city, as I think the job description stayed the same.

What I don’t get, and never will is how the City and Citywest for that matter never use their websites for these things properly. A notice from the city once the power came back on would have gone a far way to inform the public with actual information and instructions on the situation, rather than leaving it all up the usual method of delivery of the Prince Rumour hotlines and coffee shops.

Also over at CityWest, if there is a problem with a service they provide there’s no shame in advising folks on their website, might even cut down on the number of angry phone calls that they might receive.

The city was worried about getting its “message” across when the old daily paper met its demise, yet they make lousy use of their own resources, go figure.

Good ideas, podunkian, about using alternative communications methods.

Here is the response from the city and Citywest: “We asked around town and there didn’t seem to be much interest in it.”

Of course, I kid, but it seems to me that the leadership if Citywest and the city share the same problem: they are living in the past. Heck everyone at Citywest and the city read HTMF. Someone has to print out the relevant posts for the higher-ups, though, because they don’t believe in the Internet.

Great post Podunkian! I checked their site also and no info regarding service but my bill is ready and waiting to be paid though (aaargh!) Priorities I guess! I am not the tekkie of this group so can someone tell me why, as I am connected to cable internet and have no problems, my cable TV service is gone? Strange, just dunno…

Well my understanding of the cable thing is this, if you have decided not to get the “digital” feed then you are using the analog delivered service which is fed from a separate location in the INdustrial park (the big sat dish farm on the road to the recycling centre), either they have no power yet to feed that location or they are having a technical issue.

The digital channels are apparently fed by a different stream of signals through fibre optics.

I myself am a happy little sat dish user, (and what a mighty sat dish I have considering what it went through on Sunday morning!!) once the power was back on we had football on the tube by 1:30 or so…

At any rate, give the CityWest help desk a call if for no other reason than to express your interest on when they plan on returning service (or as mentioned earlier perhaps a credit on your account?).

But as I mentioned in the post (and I have a more in-depth look at the issue coming up shortly on the Podunk blog) simply posting the information on their website with an anticipated time of resumption of service would certainly be helpful to the cause of information delivery from the communications company.

Yeah, I’m also happy with my Shaw dish. I use CityWest for my landline (used rarely), and my ADSL connection. I switched to Rogers last year; they’re my Cell phone provider.

The entire Nass Valley is still without power. Won’t be on until tomorrow.

Rosswood is like a war zone. Downed trees everywhere, power and phone lines down, quite a bit of damage. Will be a long time before they recover.

The BC Hydro website still has numerous outages from Terrace North, hope that they can tackle the majority of them by today

bchydro.com/outages/orsTableView.jsp