Power out, in the dark

I have power in Terrace, mine only shut off for a short period of time. However, my parents live outside of city limits and they’re not expected to have power until tomorrow at 6:00pm. Thanksgiving dinner is going to consist of turkey on the BBQ, and all of the vegetables prepared on their propane burners in the travel trailer. Should be by candlelight, too.

Most of the area around Halliwell was out, but it’s back now.

I was just getting gas out for the generator, too :smile:

Crestview just got power now. (4:50 pm)

heard that there is a break in the natural gas line however hopefully there is enough supply to last until a fix…
good chance weather tonight will shut down power again…

Bummer. Any confirmation on this?

Yup, from CFTK: Pacific Northern Gas pipeline cut

Pretty intense bit of wind from last night, more than a few trees and hydro poles that won’t need much urging to come down if the wind picks up much tonight.

Great photos from those that have posted so far, gives a pretty good impression of what the town went through over the last 18 hours or so.

Crazy long line ups at Maverick, Overwaitea and a few gas stations, kinda reminds of the last time the natural gas pipeline went out, where’s Herb to make the calming announcement not to panic!

Anyways, we’ll no doubt get through all of this as we have in the past. Must admit I’m pretty impressed with BC Hydro getting things up and running as fast as they did. Was quite the light show around town last night as the trees and/or wind rattled off the hydro lines and transformers.

I was looking at the outage link posted here just after 10:00 this morning and called out "Power’s out every else for once"
BLINK…
Just came back on around 5:00 pm

We didn’t sustain any damage at all really. I heard the garbage cans moving around outside, so went and brought them in. The sign for our security company was busted. And a spare hood for my dad’s camaro which was leaning against the house fell over, but that’s about it.

The wall in my bedroom was shaking like mad with each gust though. Rattling my bed as it’s up against the wall.

Hope everyone else is okay.

Power’s back here, after another quick outage.

Hey Photoguy, this is my favourite: flickr.com/photos/zpaperboyz/5069620846/

Pretty wicked night ! Live on 11th. East and was quite a show with the transformers blowing and what I thought was lightning. Glad it is over and commend BC Hydro for their quick responce, saw the trucks up my street around 2AM, power returned around 1:30PM today. Does anyone else have their cable service yet though? My fella and I both are without, catching up on unseen DVD’s so that’s good ! Dust the buggers off !!

It’s true, no Natural Gas for 2-3 days in PR. PNG fellows were shutting off gas lines to people’s homes earlier today in Port Edward. I saw two fellows I know from Terrace by Morsby Park from PNG and they told me that yes the gas to Rupert will be running out tonight and will be off for 2-3 days. Just so sad that there is a lack of information from the City, no one place to meet and gather emergency information.

I also spoke to a couple that belong to the ham radio club and they would like to help but can’t. Some believe they are illegal club but they have been running ham radios before WWII in our community so I don’t get it why the City does not utilize the club to get information out. The club members meet every Saturday morning at the Ocean View for breakfast and welcome anyone who is interested. Thank you to those club members who are dedicated in keeping communication going. :smile:

Codybear, I live on the East side too and no cable. I was at a friend’s place on the West side who has HD cable and he was ok. Like yourself, I just finished reviewing an old dvd and it was good.

You are correct with hats off to the BC Hydro fellows and a huge thank you. If all goes well, we will be able to cook our turkey tomorrow. :smile: It was great having my first cup of coffee just after the power went back on… mmmm good!!

Just a quick reminder to viewers on HTMF, most restaurants run with natural gas and restaurants may have a problem for the next few days.

Bettyboop, I thought we had an emergency special services team (I think that is what it is called !), I thought Micheal Curnes was the head honcho of that one. If so, were they not out checking safety issues and coordinating with other services in town or is that another “used to have in Rupert”? Glad you are OK and you are right, that first cuppa tasted great but I was making hot chocolate through the night with warm tap water, served the purpose anyway!!

Hearing all sort of rumors surrounding the gas… someone from the coast guard told me that big users will be cut and that small users such as homes should be okay… ??
I find it weird that HD Cable is working and regular cable is not… is city west too cheap to send someone in to throw a switch??

ESS says that :
They won’t be doing anything until maybe tomorrow. Dave McKenzie thinks we should all be able to suck it up and figure out how to keep warm on our own. Smart thinking!

News about the gas line: Pacific Northern Gas pipeline cut

More photos from today, sent in by Carol via Ellen. Thanks!

If you’re having trouble with your digital cable not working after the power outage, try unplugging the power source where it plugs into the back of the digital box, wait 10 - 15 seconds, then plug your box back in. If it’s an HD box, it might take a while for it to redownload the programming, so leave it for about 1/2 an hour. Don’t turn it back on until the clock on the front shows the correct time. Check the guide. If still shows no data, then it needs more time.

I had unplugged my box last night to prevent it getting fried by a power surge, and it did take mine a while to redownload. I have a HD box, and it’s working fine now.

I hope that helps.

It registered 154.84 kph at ridley island last night. IT was abit breezey last nite !!!

My gas furnace did not start-up this morning, so perhaps the gas is shut off. Thankfully I’ve got three electric(oil) heaters that I bought the last time the gas went out.