Pot Holes

The roads in Saskatoon are ATROCIOUS compared to Rupert, and even PG.  I have never seen roads so bad… and it’s the largest city in Saskatchewan!  The roads and curbs were chewed up, sidewalks caving in, and the roads were patched together like a quilt! 

I asked a couple people at the hotel, and they said the roads have been like that for years, and nothing seems to get done about it.

I guess we’re lucky to have roads that get fixed every once and a while?

I also do know that the City doesn’t have it’s own paving crews anymore, nor the machinery to do it.  They only have the means to patch roads, a couple spots at a time.

How many holes could they have filled with the time and supplies going into the stairs to nowhere at the Prince Rupert sign.

Thats not a City project…as stated before

Care to point out where in this thread that was stated??

Why would it have to be stated in this thread. But in any case it is the Rotary Club, as stated in a previous newspaper (Friday, I think).

Besides, people are getting paid to do it!

My understanding is that the sign project and the stairs that are now being built is a volunteer project by Rotary and that local business have donated materials.

The roads here are looking pretty good to me, much better than back at home. The  newly paved speed curve sections on 16 between Terrace and New Hazelton are especially nice. I would think that for a city the size of Rupert, the roads are pretty good considering the budget they probably have.

Sections of Hwy 16, which is a Provincial responsibility, are a rather odd example to cite in a discussion about potholes within the City’s jurisdiction.

Ignore my oppinion about the highway if you want. The rest of the post is about Prince Rupert city roads, which are in great shape. I drive for a living, and cover the entire province of Alberta and a lot of northern BC on a regular basis. This region is very lucky to have such great roads and highways. Plus, I find nearly everyone here drives 5-15km/h under the posted speed limit anywhere in town, so why are pot holes even an issue. You obvious know where they are, so don’t drive in them.

[quote=“orangetang”]
Ignore my oppinion about the highway if you want. [/quote]

Our concern is not as much about the Highway as it is the roads under municipal jurisdiction - and the city’s complete absence of a budget to deal with the roads and the aging water/sewar system beneath the roads. After all, it is repeatedly busting water lines that keep causing potholes.

[quote=“orangetang”]
I drive for a living, and cover the entire province of Alberta and a lot of northern BC on a regular basis. … You obvious know where they are, so don’t drive in them.[/quote]

If you really drive for a living - you should recognize that it creates a very unsafe environment when everyone is swerving to avoid the same potholes. How long before an accident is caused because I zig when you zag?

At this point, I think that kaleid made a good point…

[quote=“kaleid”]
I still say that if the city can’t afford to fix the damn potholes then they should just rip them all up and we can go back to gravel roads. [/quote]

At least then we only need to fix paint jobs and windshields - and grading roads is cheap compared to the work these folks are faced with.

Highway 16 runs through town and, being under Provincial jurisdiction, is in good shape, but many residential streets under City jurisdiction are not. Potholes are not just a nuisance, they reflect bigger issues. Before the last election Jack said that major capital expenditures are needed because a lot of the City’s infrastructure is old. I think that he knows what he is talking about in that regard.

Trouble is, since being elected no plan seems to have emerged. There was talk before the election about selling off “surplus” City assets, but other than occasional mention of Pillsbury House and a ladder truck, which are pretty small items, there has been no serious discussion, at least in public.

Yet, this is the only municipality in the province that owns a ‘communications company’ (recently written down in value by $20 million), a dock that if I recall the Alaskans are willing to purchase for about $7 million, and an airport ferry. I am also not sure about the golf club getting $125,600 in annual tax exemptions and grants and a $50,000 loan guarantee from the City (approved and later extended at closed meetings).

There seems to be a real reluctance to talk about liquidating some of these ‘legacies’ and doing something about infrastructure, including streets that seem to be getting worse.

I am not sure what gives you insight into people’s knowledge of pothole geography.