Possible locations for new Emergency Building

So I see the RCMP/PRFD have presented several locations to council for the new building.

What I find ridiculous is they are actually proposing to use the Moose Tot Park lot and adjacent Tennis Courts as a possible location for this new building.

Thats just great…destroy the best kids park in the city and take away the best tennis courts.

thenorthernview.com/breaking … 99715.html

Agreed! Destroying recreational facilities shouldn’t even be considered. No mention of where or when a new park and tennis courts would be located.

I understand the logistics re traffic and the requirement for serviced land. What about the vacant area on George Hills Way? Not sure who owns it, was Canfisco some years ago? Traffic shouldn’t be a problem. Few neighbours to be bothered by sirens. Close to RCMP Marine Division office. No one looking down from above but the eagles!

[quote=“Pureheart”]Agreed! Destroying recreational facilities shouldn’t even be considered. No mention of where or when a new park and tennis courts would be located.

I understand the logistics re traffic and the requirement for serviced land. What about the vacant area on George Hills Way? Not sure who owns it, was Canfisco some years ago? Traffic shouldn’t be a problem. Few neighbours to be bothered by sirens. Close to RCMP Marine Division office. No one looking down from above but the eagles![/quote]

There are LOTS of people there who can be bothered by the sirens. When the Rupert Autoclub held our race down there, we had a few noise complaints from the people on 4th east.

turn the whole town into a security perimeter…

get rid of the parks…close the civic centre…

completely seal off the waterfront…just like ridley…

thats the direction the city is headed…

I just find it incredibly hilarious that recreational and park land is ACTUALLY being considered for this (and not only that, but the RECOMMENDED choice of the fucking RCMP and Fire Dept!!).

Fill one of the damn holes downtown…the Dairy Queen block, the Highliner, ANYWHERE but Moose Tot/Tennis Courts!

Did you people even read the article? The city acknowledges that this would remove key recreational areas and say right in the article that a plan to replace them would have to be part of the project. Good grief… talk about getting fired up over nothing.

Par for the course

[quote=“Pureheart”]Agreed! Destroying recreational facilities shouldn’t even be considered. No mention of where or when a new park and tennis courts would be located.

I understand the logistics re traffic and the requirement for serviced land. What about the vacant area on George Hills Way? Not sure who owns it, was Canfisco some years ago? Traffic shouldn’t be a problem. Few neighbours to be bothered by sirens. Close to RCMP Marine Division office. No one looking down from above but the eagles![/quote]

Oh, I don’t think building your emergency services building in a Tsunami zone would be considered prudent!

The City owns the old Parkland Trailer court land behind the Lester Centre, does it not? Why wouldn’t that location be considered? Its level. Its got highway access with no blind hills.

Now I hope to go back to the old Daily News and see what was being said as previous residents were being evicted from that location. Maybe a bypass to the port but had anyone talked about a fire hall out there? Time to consider that location for the fire hall and the RCMP. Hands off Moose Tot Park.

If financial expenditures are a reflection of a community’s values and we spend money only where the most desperate need is there are two other items deserving of attention. One is the library and the other is the feeding of all people in this town, especially teenagers and needy young adults.

They better plan on building the parks and courts FIRST or I for one will be standing at Moose Tot Park with a giant cardboard hand displaying the MIDDLE FINGER until I’m arrested.

I take my kids there all the time, it’s one of the decent places to take your kids. I don’t know why these rat bastards would even consider it. AND, the replacement playground plans better be pretty fantastic because the last thing this city needs is another removed playground. Hundreds of kids go there every week.

in all honestly that spot on the park/tennis courts does seem like the best spot for a fire/police building easy and fast access to any part of town. Plus people would get a new play park and building one away from a busy highway seems like a smarter option for a park for kids.

I’m sure any outcry could be quelled by building the new replacement park first in a better location like say near the civic center maybe across from the pool. Either that or the city can just approve the pellet facility and the residents will be too busy crying about their property values to complain about one less park.

great idea…
cause the city has such deep pockets that they can build a new emergency services building AND a new park with a tennis court…

[quote=“bubbasteve735”]

There are LOTS of people there who can be bothered by the sirens. When the Rupert Autoclub held our race down there, we had a few noise complaints from the people on 4th east.[/quote]

Bubba, you must know by now people in this town will bitch if you blow a whistle, they are the ones that don’t get out much but complain the most! lol

[quote=“mcsash”]great idea…
cause the city has such deep pockets that they can build a new emergency services building AND a new park with a tennis court…[/quote]

One of the things that i got from the Northern View article is that the tennis court/Moose tot option may be the most cost effective as the city owns the land and the land prep costs would be minimal. Moving the park and tennis court to another city owned property would save land acquisition costs and site preparation costs. If the city were to acquire a large enough piece of land and then have to prep it, it would most likely be much more expensive than shuffling a a few city owned properties around. Obviously, the current RCMP and fire hall locations would become available - what wrong with using those for a park/tennis court?

Does anyone have a legitimately good idea for where the building could go? I was thinking about up near the ambulance station: keep all the sirens in one place. Or any one of the properties that the city has been taking over and demolishing homes on.

New building + New fireman = more city tax dollars.

New building + new fireman = higher taxes

Someone has started a petition against removal of the Tot Park and Tennis Courts. It’s at Eddies News. If anyone knows of other locations, please post. SIGN IT NOW!

My god people!! A petition?

What is wrong with some of you? For a long time people have been complaining about high taxes, poor roads, decreased services, etc, etc. The municipality is looking into the possibility of placing the fire station and RCMP at the current Moose Tot/Tennis Court area? Why you ask? Because its central, it’s owned by the city and they’ve indicated that the site is stable enough to build on already. No land acquisition costs, minimal site prep costs which translate into huge savings for our city.

I’ve read that the Inlander site has been looked at as a possible location so let’s examine that closer. There are at least three acquisition deals to be made here. Inlander property, longshoremans hall and old RCMP office building. Then you have to prep the site which would probably involve filling in that hole, as the RCMP have said that they cannot have underground parking. I’m just going to take a stab that it would cost upwards of $1 million to acquire three properties and then prep it.

Where is the sense in that? I’m becoming extremely discouraged as a resident here. We’re resisting development and many seem to think that they can run the city better than those who get paid and/or elected to do so.I will give them all the credit in the world because they have embarked on an open and transparent process and are exercising a great amount of diligence. I’d rather see the fire station and RCMP on McBride at the proposed location, move the tennis courts across the street to the current RCMP location, and move everything at Moose Tot to Mariners Park at a lot less cost than buying out Marogna at 5 corners, or paying for and prepping the Dairy Queen or Inlander properties. That park at Mariners could use some better equipment anyways.

Good job to those involved in the planning process.