Port Gets Environmental Approval for Phase 2

ceaa-acee.gc.ca/050/document … ment=84466

thenorthernview.com/news/188371681.html

Big uckin Deal so now where are we not allowed to walk in this Booming Town ?

?

Grow up!!! You are not allowed to walk where it is Private Property and that’s it.

You live in an industrial port community. Many people seem to have forgotten this. Besides, when does anyone go for a stroll down past the reduction plant? We have one hope for the economic future of our community and its our port. You want a nice relaxing place to live where you have miles if waterfront to live, move to the island.

Great news…onward and forward.

Agreed.

[quote=“Crazy Train”]

You live in an industrial port community. Many people seem to have forgotten this. Besides, when does anyone go for a stroll down past the reduction plant? We have one hope for the economic future of our community and its our port. You want a nice relaxing place to live where you have miles if waterfront to live, move to the island.[/quote]

In order to draw people to work at those plants/ports/whatever there better be some recreation to entice them and maintain the happiness of the people who are already here. If these things continue to remove or reduce access to waterfront for recreation there has to be some form of mitigation and I’m not talking about a cheque to the Rupert Rampage.

[quote=“evil olive”]

You live in an industrial port community. Many people seem to have forgotten this. Besides, when does anyone go for a stroll down past the reduction plant? We have one hope for the economic future of our community and its our port. You want a nice relaxing place to live where you have miles if waterfront to live, move to the island.

In order to draw people to work at those plants/ports/whatever there better be some recreation to entice them and maintain the happiness of the people who are already here. If these things continue to remove or reduce access to waterfront for recreation there has to be some form of mitigation and I’m not talking about a cheque to the Rupert Rampage.[/quote]

I agree. My hope is that the Port Authority and the City come up with some kind of plan in the very near future. It was my understanding that a future recreational site was to be developed on Lelu Island but that area has now been targeted as a location for the Petronas LNG facility. The problem as I see it is in how our city was initially developed. The waterfront has been industrial land since day one. If the rail yard was built somewhere else and that area not controlled by CN maybe things would be different. Rec sites are only worth while though if we have a stable economy and people to enjoy them. I’m hopeful that in time, as we reinvent ourselves, that we will all have what we desire in terms of rec sites. In the meantime there will be growing pains.

We were down at Kwinitza yesterday, got a glimpse of the first silo . How many will be built? It’s a big structure but not that tall as to obstruct homeowners’ views as they were concerned about. I can imagine they will be an eyesore though but thats’ progress, I guess !