Population edges upwards

The answer to the trivia question of how many people live in Rupert is:

12,994 a change of 1 per cent

opinion250.com/blog/view/190 … b.c.+stats

What surprised me is that Rupert’s population is still larger than Terrace… Over the years it aways seems like Terrace is becoming the larger population base of the north west…

It just seems that way because everyone from rupert goes and does their shopping there. :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah I wondered that too, that’s why I’m never sure about stats like these (and the Unemployment numbers as well) though I wonder if they take into account Thornhill and other smaller areas around Terrace?

That is really hard to believe as Stats.BC estimates our population in 2006 (last date I could find!) as 12,820 approx. and we all know that there has been quite a decline over those last 5 years. Hard to say, we should do a head count ! I would think that with declining student attendance, schools closing, businesses closing and people relocating that we probably are not on the rise.

2006:

Prince Rupert area (13,392) bit.ly/ierwkQ
Terrace area (18,581) bit.ly/gic0Cs
Kitimat area (8,987) bit.ly/fkbmyQ

When you consider that people usually lump Kitimat and Terrace together, that makes the Terrace area much larger than the Rupert area.

Here’s where Opinion 250 found its research material

bcstats.gov.bc.ca/data/pop/p … imates.pdf

Wonder why their numbers are so different from the Stats Canada surveys, kind of defeats the purpose of statistic gathering with such wide discrepancies.

Looks about right – there’s a difference between municipalities and census areas, though. Stats Can is from 2006, and this BC one is an estimate from 2010.

If you take just the city’s on their own, Terrace to its city limits (pop 11,931) and Prince Rupert to its city limit (12,994), than Prince Rupert has the higher population.

If you factor in surrounding villages ect for either town, Terrace takes the lead.

Its the same thing down south, Vancouver (to its city limits) only has about 650,000 people…but once you add in the suburbs and surrounding areas (Coquitlam, Richmond, Surrey, Burnaby, Langle, Maple Ridge, White Rock, North Vancouver ect) the population ends somewhere near 2.5 million.

[quote=“MiG”]2006:

When you consider that people usually lump Kitimat and Terrace together, that makes the Terrace area much larger than the Rupert area.[/quote]

Right these are the census aglomeration numbers, not the city numbers.

All of the villages in the Nass, Kitsumkalum, New Remo ect are all added to Terrace’s city numbers to end up at their CA population.

Prince Rupert’s city population is added to Port Edward and Metlakatla to get to their CA population.

Once these are factored in, then the numbers flip flop.

In the medieval ages, scholars used to debate how many angels can dance on the head of pin…

[quote=“bthedog”]

[quote=“MiG”]2006:

When you consider that people usually lump Kitimat and Terrace together, that makes the Terrace area much larger than the Rupert area.[/quote]

Right these are the census aglomeration numbers, not the city numbers.

All of the villages in the Nass, Kitsumkalum, New Remo ect are all added to Terrace’s city numbers to end up at their CA population.

Prince Rupert’s city population is added to Port Edward and Metlakatla to get to their CA population.

Once these are factored in, then the numbers flip flop.[/quote]

I believe that ten years ago before the road was punched through along the Nass, some of the villages there would have been counted into Rupert’s general population as this town serviced them. Kincolith especially was provided groceries and other goods via float plane and regular water taxi service until the road was built and locals could drive out to Terrace for shopping.