Please ignore my spam

Please ignore my spam, I’m just testing some stuff here.

Haha! I’ve figured out how to get all 5 spots on the front page!

Strange things are brewin’.

Just playin’ with some PHP and SQL stuff, grabbing RSS feeds and posting them automagically.

It’s cool how you can go to the digg story, and it says you have linked to that story on your own page.

MiG, do you run any sort of PHP accelerator, or chaching proxy, etc?

Yeah, there’s a php accelerator, and the stuff on this front page is cached. I think it updated every 5 minutes or so.

What accelerator are you using, and did it make a big difference?

php-accelerator.co.uk/

It’s about halved the time on most scripts, and even more so on stuff that includes a lot of libraries (rss xml stuff).

The site used to really crawl when there were 20 or 30 people on at once. Now it’s at least useable, though it does seem to slow down when the caches expire on the front page stuff. Lately I’ve been staggering the times on the caches (so that different parts of the front page expire at different intervals). On top of that, HTMF is no longer the top resource use on the server, and the other stuff isn’t php, so I’m not sure the accelerator is even needed anymore.

I used a caching proxy on the SD52 website for a bit, especially when we switched it to be moodle-based. But I’ve abandoned that now, as there were a few issues with disk space, backing up, etc. It still runs at a decent speed without it. I think Apache2 has a built in caching proxy that you can activate as well, but I haven’t tried it yet.

I couldn’t find an accelerator to work with php 5.1.1, which I am forced to run by nature of using the bleeding edge Fedora stuff for PPC…

Gallery 2 ran terrible on my sad little 300MHz G3 box, and I was trying to find an accelerator to help out. Ended up downgrading to Gallery 1, which is much much faster.

Do the caching servers work good with all the dynamic stuff?

Well, Gallery 2 has a bunch of caching stuff built in as well. I run gallery2 at menino.com/photos

First time a page is loaded, it is REALLY slow, but then G2 caches in a mysql database. but yeah, it’s probably a bit much for a 300mhz G3.

the one place that I didn’t see much improvement with a PHP accelerator was on the image galleries (I run a bunch of Gallery1 sites, as well as two G2 sites, and coppermine on HTMF). They didn’t seem to speed up at all, but probably because most of the delay in loading the pages was due to graphics, not php processing time.

The most complex page on this server is the HTMF front page, which is really about 15 different scripts happening at the same time, and it’s definitely improved with the php accelerator. The accelerator is pretty smart about figuring out the dynamic stuff too.

What kind of websites you running? Is it a permanent thing?

In fact, by viewing this post, you’re causing 7 or 8 requests to Gallery 2 (the random photo in my sig), which in turn causes a bunch of php scripts to run on top of all the normal PHPBB stuff that’s running. I guess that’s the kind of stuff that’s really been helped by the PHP accelerator.

As for a linux distro – have you tried ubuntu? Works great on my G3 iBook. And if you’re still hating the gnome stuff, there’s a KDE version of it as well. Gnome gsucks, remember. Or were you the guy who liked the gnome stuff?

Man, there’s nothing worse than people who correct me when I say linux “don’t you mean gnu slash linux?”

What can I say? RMS really gives communism a bad name.

Stop calling it communism. Its proper title is gnu/communism.

Also:

slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/12/13/1340215

Linus Torvalds made his preference in the GNOME vs. KDE matter quite clear on the GNOME-usability list: “I personally just encourage people to switch to KDE.

This ‘users are idiots, and are confused by functionality’ mentality of Gnome is a disease.

If you think your users are idiots, only idiots will use it.

I don’t use Gnome, because in striving to be simple, it has long since reached the point where it simply doesn’t do what I need it to do.

Please, just tell people to use KDE.â€

HAHA

I like gnome. I got a kick out of what was on Slashdot this morning, Linus telling people to use KDE because they’re idiots…

My website is permanent as of now (we’ll see how long it lasts…) geoff.yi.org/ it half serves a purpose, documenting my project car, and it’s also a test bed to toy with PHP and the likes.

I haven’t looked into ubuntu at all, although the name comes up more frequently all the time. An issue I had getting Linux on my G3 was that it uses the original OldWorld firmware–none of the fancy boot disks can load on it, and it still has to start in OS 8, and run BootX before loading Linux.

Used to run Yellow Dog, but the modern versions don’t install nicely on OldWorld. Fedora released a PPC distro right around the time I was setting up this computer, so I went with that being a Red Hat whore from long time, and it installing nicely.