Plea for Garbage

Has anyone truly taken a walk around Prince Rupert? I walk my dog everyday in the afternoon but on a sunny day I truly see a problem. Garbage. the litter in this town is disgusting. Everywhere i looked there was garbage on the ground, between garbage cans, around garbage cans, in the creek, on the water front, along pathways, in the bushes, you name the area, i see garbage. I have to speak up because i can stay silent no longer. When you have garbage in your hands, please please just hold on to it till you find a garbage can, if you find garbage, perhaps take the time out of your day, pick it up, and put it in the garbage (don’t forget to wash your hands). We keep saying that Rupert needs help, that allot of improvements need to be made, well i see allot of talking, and very little doing. Start with the basics. This place is beautiful when the sun shines on it, and with Spring just starting, summer will be here soon, kids will be playing outside, do you not want your kids to play in a clean and safe environment? Do you want to be proud of your town and have tourists see how pretty this place can be? Then please help me pick up the garbage!!! If you see liter, please pick it up. And for the people who drop food, be aware that dogs eat stuff they find on the road and often get sick from it, i see people smash glass bottles, perhaps your not aware that dogs can get their feet badly cut. So hang on to your garbage when your out, its not a big deal to hold on to it till you find a garbage can, and if you see garbage around you, perhaps take the time to pick it up and put it away. Help me clean up Prince Rupert.

Have to agree with you on these points ! Sad part is the Civic Pride volunteers perform miracles around town picking up garbage and sadly it only lasts for a few days. I see people on the street walking with coffee cups, chip bags etc. and just toss them on the ground with not a sense of what they are contributing to. My fella and I were having supper at Kwinitza the other night and the couple beside us were also in their vehicle "dining’, we went for a walk down to Cow Bay and when we returned, they had left their garbage on the cement barrier so my fella picked it up and threw it away ! It is disgusting but I guess if we do our little part, at least we know we haven’t perpetuated the problem, but damn it is a mess !!

Why does it have to be civic pride? Why the hell can’t people clean up after themselves?

We go around our block with the kids 2-3 times a year and pick up the garbage. Last spring we got 2 1/2 half bags full (disgusting). We did it last night and “only” got 1/2 a bag. My theory is garbage breeds more garbage, as soon as people see one piece they think its OK to add more. It’s sad really. Hopefully everyone can do their part. It only took us 1/2 an hour last night.

My dad says that in the past, he used to pick up a bag or two of garbage around the yard and street on garbage days.

Now he’s only allowed to have two bags of garbage on pickup day, so he doesn’t bother.

Agreed about the garbage.

Also, just about everywhere I take my son, waterfront, Cow Bay sidewalk to George Hills Way. 6th / 7th Avenue…the list goes on and on - there’s nothing but dog crap everywhere.

If ever there was a good thing to get onboard with, it would be cracking down on dog owners that allow their dogs to crap everywhere. I think this should be “with” the garbage issue.

[quote=“MeepMeepZoom”]Agreed about the garbage.

Also, just about everywhere I take my son, waterfront, Cow Bay sidewalk to George Hills Way. 6th / 7th Avenue…the list goes on and on - there’s nothing but dog crap everywhere.

If ever there was a good thing to get onboard with, it would be cracking down on dog owners that allow their dogs to crap everywhere. I think this should be “with” the garbage issue.[/quote]

Ugh, not this again. Come on, hasn’t this been talked to death already? Not the garbage, but the dog poop. I agree, if it’s on a walking path or on the pavement, pick it up. But all of it CAN’T be concentrated on pavement.

[quote=“bubbasteve735”]

[quote=“MeepMeepZoom”]Agreed about the garbage.

If ever there was a good thing to get onboard with, it would be cracking down on dog owners that allow their dogs to crap everywhere. I think this should be “with” the garbage issue.[/quote]

Ugh, not this again. Come on, hasn’t this been talked to death already? Not the garbage, but the dog poop. I agree, if it’s on a walking path or on the pavement, pick it up. But all of it CAN’T be concentrated on pavement.[/quote]

I wasn’t aware it was “talked to death already.” But a valid point is that most of it [canine feces] is just a few inches from the pavement. Now, I’m not trying to assert a dog-poop-distance-rule but really, a few inches off the pavement and you may as well have let the dog vacate it’s bowels right in the middle of the sidewalk. Because holding a childs hand, or having to walk around other persons…

At any rate - I have more problem with dog feces than garbage I guess you could say but (and forgive me here if it’s not in-line with the majority) my way of thinking is that issue, should be lumped in with the garbage issue. I would file both issues under: “Combined issues causing untidy and un-people-friendly public areas.”

Yeah, there’s no reason to let your dog poop wherever it wants, really. Maybe we should invent poop bags, like the ones used for horses, but for dogs…

And yeah, it has been talked to death, in numerous threads, created specifically about dog poop. :stuck_out_tongue:

Gotta say, at least the dog poo breaks down eventually. The chip bags and plastic lids from disposable coffee cups stick around for an awful long time.

Dog poo may break down eventually, but in some places it just keeps piling up.

Let’s all make a beginning at Kwinitsa Waterfront Park and keep it clean of dog poo and garbage. If we can get some pride going there we can go on to other areas. I’ve alway grabbed at least one bag and filled it every time I’m there even if my dogs don’t crap there. After all when service clubs supply the bags the least we can do is help eliminate the problem. I’ve even been watching for others’ dogs doing their business and informing them.

Are there any other areas that are consistently in the same condition? Let’s make a list.

I spent much of the day walking around in the wonderful weather… The litter situation is bad, and the dog shit, another thing that struct me is how dusty everything is from the snow removal gravel. Surely we have the resources to clean that mess up… The litter thing here has been a historic problem, I remember as a youth in Prince Rupert we often had class field trips cleaning up the garbage. Per capita we have more than our share of pigs. Another problem is a lot of what I saw today was household waste, from torn garbage bags at curbide, which the wind or animals drug away… Is there not a bylaw on using garbage cans?

There is, but it doesn’t mean people give two shits…
Nor is the bylaw enforced.

I think the garbage situation is more dense in certain areas, as I walk everywhere with my children (park to park) and it seems to be OK.

It is disgusting though, when I do see garbage I pick it up.

I also verbally scald any children in my family when they think they can get away with littering in front of me.

There is, but it doesn’t mean people give two shits…
Nor is the bylaw enforced./quote

Well, let’s not forget when the garbage men pick the bags from the garbage containers, they take the lid off with one hand and throw it on the ground vs holding the lid, removing the bag and replacing the lid back on the container. I cannot tell you how often I have had to go looking for my lid for the trash can. It is frustrating and the garbage situation in this city is unacceptable. :frowning:

Tie your garbage can lid, to your garbage can.
They should be tied down anyways, considering how badly the wind is here.

And put your address on it - I’ve had mine disappear in a windstorm and then be kindly returned by someone down the street.

I saw this while driving home today. Thought it might be something for HTMF to giggle at. :stuck_out_tongue:

Is a similar sign on 9th east, but apparently the courier deliver driver lady cant read because one of her large dogs took a dump she didnt deem it appropriate to pick it up. The part that annoyed me was it was like 20 feet from her own yard.

I get choked at the amount of people who don’t follow which day their garbage gets picked up and they stack bag after bag at the curb waiting. The crows love this inviation to a feast and who picks up after? What does it cost to buy a garbage can at Zeller’s? Surely something everyone can afford. Neighbour up the street is trying to clean his yard from the crap the neighbours deposited over the winter, half a pick up full…good lord people! How many homes in this town really have no self respect? I was wondering if a photo-shoot one day and post the disgusting yards would be legal? No names, street names or numbers, just the yards!

Soggy - I hate the dog poo at the waterfront and I walk my dog there. We should pick a Sunday or something all meet down there armed with bags (NOT to pick up poop! But to educate all the loser dog owners who just ignore their dog crapped all over)! I am somewhat intimidated confronting lax owners on my own but if a group happened i would be happy to join in. I generally walk the waterfront around 11am with a fairly large number who are really good at clean up and watching each others dogs! So how come there is so damn much of the stuff?? I think the worst area is the little grassy space and lots of kids play there. As owners walk further down the gravel road I am not so concerned.

[quote=“roja”]I get choked at the amount of people who don’t follow which day their garbage gets picked up and they stack bag after bag at the curb waiting. The crows love this inviation to a feast and who picks up after? What does it cost to buy a garbage can at Zeller’s? Surely something everyone can afford. Neighbour up the street is trying to clean his yard from the crap the neighbours deposited over the winter, half a pick up full…good lord people! How many homes in this town really have no self respect? I was wondering if a photo-shoot one day and post the disgusting yards would be legal? No names, street names or numbers, just the yards!

Soggy - I hate the dog poo at the waterfront and I walk my dog there. We should pick a Sunday or something all meet down there armed with bags (NOT to pick up poop! But to educate all the loser dog owners who just ignore their dog crapped all over)! I am somewhat intimidated confronting lax owners on my own but if a group happened i would be happy to join in. I generally walk the waterfront around 11am with a fairly large number who are really good at clean up and watching each others dogs! So how come there is so damn much of the stuff?? I think the worst area is the little grassy space and lots of kids play there. As owners walk further down the gravel road I am not so concerned.[/quote]

Heh, as far as I know, if it’s in the public domain (Ie, not on or in someone’s property) You can take photos of whatever you want to. Same with taking photos of people, accidents, etc. Now, if you plan to go onto the property itself, that’s another story.