Petronas announce $9-billion LNG plant at Prince Rupert

[quote]Petronas and Progress announce go-ahead for $9-billion LNG plant at Prince Rupert

Much larger facility to be built if Ottawa approves Malaysian giant’s purchase of Canadian company.

Malaysian Energy giant Petronas and Canadian natural gas company Progress Energy say they are going ahead with plans to develop a $9 billion-plus liquefied natural gas plant at Prince Rupert despite a decision by Ottawa to reject the Malaysian company’s $5.9 billion bid to buy Progress.

The two companies have agreed to go ahead with the LNG plant independently of the takeover bid, Progress president Michael Culbert said Tuesday. But the joint venture partners also offered a tempting carrot if Ottawa reconsiders its decision to block the takeover bid: a much larger investment in B.C.’s northeastern gas fields and in its proposed LNG plant.

If Ottawa ultimately approves the takeover, the partners would have sufficient natural gas reserves to expand the size of their LNG plant, to be located on Lelu Island, within the port of Prince Rupert, Culbert said.
[/quote]

vancouversun.com/business/Pe … story.html

calgaryherald.com/business/P … story.html

LMAO this article says near prince george…hmmmm

[quote=“mudduck9969”]http://www.calgaryherald.com/business/Progress+Petronas+offer+upsize+plant/7650011/story.html

LMAO this article says near prince george…hmmmm[/quote]

No, it doesn’t.

This is a direct quote from the Calgary Herald, " The facility is to be located on Lelu Island near Prince Rupert."

Read more: calgaryherald.com/Progress+P … z2E7isENvn

[quote=“mudduck9969”]http://www.calgaryherald.com/business/Progress+Petronas+offer+upsize+plant/7650011/story.html

LMAO this article says near prince george…hmmmm[/quote]

By the time i posted this it had already been corrected…so i guess i stand corrected…was funny …sigh not anymore…LOL

MiG,

Wonderful news for our town!

Great news! With pinnacle pellet, Potash, watco, BG/Spectra, the container port expansion and petronas we are on the verge of prosperity once again and can finally, hopefully, put the pulp mill and the bs that its caused over the last 10+ years behind us.

This is awesome news…Rupert is looking at a windfall of jobs with all the projects on the table.

BG/Spectra LNG Terminal: 200-300 jobs
Petronas/Progress LNG Terminal: 200-300 jobs
Pinnacle Pellet Terminal: 25-40 jobs
Canpotex Potash Terminal: 200-300 jobs
Ridley Terminals Expansion: 25-30 more jobs
Fairview Terminals Phase 2 Expansion: 500-600 jobs

At the low end, that would create approx 1200 new full-time, high paying DIRECT jobs in Prince Rupert by 2020, at the high end that it approx 1600 full-time jobs.

The indirect spinoff jobs (think Quickload/container stuffing/destuffing jobs, Kristoff/Trucking jobs, Border Services, Shipping Agents, Inspection Agents, CN/Rail jobs ect) would be on top of those jobs.

That also does not include potential jobs from the proposed break bulk port terminal that WatCo is planning to put on Watson Island.

Add the above to the strong and steady jobs at Prince Rupert Grain and Ridley Coal terminals…and Rupert looks to have finally turned the corner from forestry/fishing based economy, to transportation/shipping/exporting.

[quote=“bthedog”]This is awesome news…Rupert is looking at a windfall of jobs with all the projects on the table.

BG/Spectra LNG Terminal: 200-300 jobs
Petronas/Progress LNG Terminal: 200-300 jobs
Pinnacle Pellet Terminal: 25-40 jobs
Canpotex Potash Terminal: 200-300 jobs
Ridley Terminals Expansion: 25-30 more jobs
Fairview Terminals Phase 2 Expansion: 500-600 jobs

At the low end, that would create approx 1200 new full-time, high paying DIRECT jobs in Prince Rupert by 2020, at the high end that it approx 1600 full-time jobs.

The indirect spinoff jobs (think Quickload/container stuffing/destuffing jobs, Kristoff/Trucking jobs, Border Services, Shipping Agents, Inspection Agents, CN/Rail jobs ect) would be on top of those jobs.

That also does not include potential jobs from the proposed break bulk port terminal that WatCo is planning to put on Watson Island.

Add the above to the strong and steady jobs at Prince Rupert Grain and Ridley Coal terminals…and Rupert looks to have finally turned the corner from forestry/fishing based economy, to transportation/shipping/exporting.[/quote]

Guess we can thank the work of the Mayor and Council for all this development that is arriving, they seem so helpful when it comes to these things.

thenorthernview.com/breaking … 88571.html

Has to be viewed as good news for sure, but until projects like this and the proposed canpotex(announced 4 1/2 years ago)come to fruition, I think many will be skeptical.

My sarcasm meter just spiked. Good stuff. :smile:

well some council members and not others there is one on record as being opposed to any LNG plant in Rupert and she is running for the nomination of the NDP party, even though the NDP energy critic is in favour of them

But the Petronas news is good now lets build it :stuck_out_tongue:

I SINCERELY hope that not a single soul in Prince Rupert attributes ANY of this potential good news to the work of our local politicians or City Hall.
All of this development is happening not because of the City, but IN SPITE OF it.
That just shows how much potential this place has…even with a ridiculously inefficient and ineffective local government administration.

[quote=“Jabber63”]well some council members and not others there is one on record as being opposed to any LNG plant in Rupert and she is running for the nomination of the NDP party, even though the NDP energy critic is in favour of them

But the Petronas news is good now lets build it :stuck_out_tongue:[/quote]

I personally would support the one in favor of the project. Which one is against the LNG plans?

Jennifer Rice would be a disastrous representative for the BC NDP in this region…she is against LNG development in Prince Rupert, even though her own party supports it…this is NOT the backwards thinking leadership we need to see representing our region through such an important time.

We need to be throwing down the welcome mat, with wide open arms to these company’s that are looking to invest BILLIONS in our city!

We do not need someone constantly and consistently working against energy projects trying to return prosperity to Prince Rupert and the North Coast.

I sincerely hope someone with such lopsided views, is not allowed to represent us here.

Boy, I’m sure glad most of you aren’t on council. Any industry that wanted to set up here would be given carte blanche!

I’m happy to see more projects coming too but it shouldn’t be at all costs. Gee, council voiced some concerns about the Port assessing its own projects and about rail noise. It’s called representing its citizens. Do you honestly think piping up once in awhile is going to stop ANY of these projects from happening?

^
GMAB! The city is looking after the interests of people on Graham Avenue with their criticism of the Container Termainal and Pinnacle Pellet Terminal…their concerns CERTAINLY do not represent the general view of Prince Rupert citizens who fully support the PRPA and the use of the Westview Terminal for economic activity and the expansion of the Container Terminal to the West.

The people of Graham/Beach/Water all chose to locate next to industrial land and should NOT be holding this city and the rest of us hostage because they chose to bank on no further economic activity in the industrialized zones near their properties.

Furthermore, the mayor should be totally ashamed of his very public shaming of the PRPA, especially after all they have done to keep this city from becoming BC’s next ghost town.

Those that don’t like the increased activity in industrial zoned lands near their properties, need to STFU or move…the rest of us have had quite enough of the bitching.

AMEN!!!

I’m with you
on that…keep the $ coming

I hear Usk is looking for more residents… I hear its nice and quiet this time of month.