Petro Canada Gas Station v. Your Visa Statement

Why would it make stealing okay? I only spoke of the $99 hit they put on your card.
There’s obviously something fishy when a different station charges your card.
You know you can force a credit card sale thru with just the number and expiry date? But the till will show who was working at the time and there will be a slip in the till with a faked signature.
I’d go to the gas station and demand to see it and have a photocopy.

That’s correct.  The only reason you are supposed to ask for ID is if the signature on the printed copy doesn’t match the signature on the card.  Or, if it’s blatantly obvious that the card is being used by the wrong person (a 30 yr old man trying to use a card with a name like Myrtle Squiggens on it, or a 14 year old trying to use their parent’s card.)  If the person declines the ID, then we have to charge back the card. 

I do not know whether or not the owner of the Petro Canada Gas station here would divy up as to who was working that day.  I do not know how “slips” in the till work, but we have requested copies of both fraudulent “slips” from visa.  It is going on to two months… we have received both credits from visa but still have not received the copies we requested.  As I said, I don’t know how these “slips” work with that particular merchant.  I could very easily review my Dad’s statement again to determine the date of the two charges, ring visa back and inquire if there was a “time” they were put through, then call PetroCan and inquire as to who was the clerk at that time.  I’m confident that if this was, in fact, an inside job at that locale, the owner would love to exchange notes, I’m sure.

Visa should have a record of the transaction number, which electronic terminal it came from and what time the terminal “batch” was closed off. You’d need that info to find the merchant copy which would then need to be checked against the till tape to see when it was rung in and who rang it in.
Altogether too much work for $32, which is why shit like this is way more common than the credit card outfits would like you to believe. Part of why you get nailed 19-32% for money they borrow at 1-3%

Can you tell me whether this happens at all Petrocan Stations or was it just one?  After all we do have two, and it would be unfair to paint them both with the same brush if it isn’t a company policy, just a local rule.

If I recall, the visa statement only said “Petro Canada Prince Rupert”.