Peru/Ecuador Trip 2007 begins!

Hey Transcend,

Maybe you can actually not pay for beer by using this trick:

I told you math was useful!

The beer here is a bit expensive compared to other SA countries, but I’m not worried so much. 

It was 30 C today and it cools off to about 24ish at night I guess.  I got a pretty good dose of sun today, the UV index is just out of control. 

Went to some big church in Central Lima today and it was nuts.  LIterally hundreds of thousands of people squeezed into a few blocks and the military was there keeping an eye on  shit with armored vehicles. 

Also ate skewered goat heart today, which is delicious btw. 

Man, that would frighten me to see the military out in force.
30 degrees?  Nice!! 
How do they prepare the heart?  Boiled?  Baked?  In a stew? :smiley:

Hmmm like, skewered, as in ummm a shishkabob! 

mmmmm…shishkabob, that sounds so good right about now  :smiley: You must be getting an awsome tan, im so jelous  :stuck_out_tongue:

More like a burn actually, but it’s coming along :wink:

cant waite to see some pictures, are you only staying in Lima…?

An interesting place to visit:
Peruvian Sun Towers

No, I’d go insane if I only stayed in Lima.  It’s just another big dirty city.  Heading north in a day or two by bus. 

How’s your holiday going, TR? :smiley:
We finally have Spring in good ol PR, I took my snow tires off about two weeks ago:-)

Pretty neat so far! 

Flew over the Nazca lines, hung out at a fun little oasis outside of Ica and went dune buggying (fun as hell) and sand boarding.  Boarded down a mountain of a sand dune on the last run, it was neat. 

Going up north to do a loop from Trujillo (beach town) down to Huraz (a mountain town) and then a boat ride into Iquitos (largest city in the world without road connections).  So yeah, it’s been pretty neat.  Will update with some pictures one of these days. 

Update time!

So yesterday or the day before, it´s hard to tell the past few days are a blur, I crossed into Ecuador from Peru.  I was hanging out in a sweeeeet little beach town called Mancora, hot, nice sand, a decent enough little wave to catch, but I figured I´d had enough of sweating my bag off so I caught a van-bus to Tumbes.  Tumbes is half an hour from the border and is a shittty little town.  From Tumbes I caught a cab to the border and crossed.  Writing it up it sounds pretty straight forward but this particular border crossing is fucking hell.  First you have to get a stamp from the Peruvian side to exit, then you have to cross 5km of basically no-mans-land which is some of the sketchiest scenery I´ve seen so far.  Little slat huts packed with dead animals, stolen stuff, burnt DVD´s and all the sort.  The road is pretty much a dirt path packed with angry looking people who eye you up like a piece of meat.  I took a cab through this zone.  Locked all the door and hoped the cabbies wouldn´t mug me (common practice) but made it through after a few other sketchy things happened. 

Once I got my entrance stamp checked at the Ecuadorian side I found a cheap bus station (mistake) and waited two hours in the terminal before getting on a packed bus and spending 12 hours getting to Quitos.  The bus got stopped three times at various check points and so forth and luggage was searched, bags cut open, and everyone was offloaded and patted down.  That part wasn´t so bad! 

But it´s all worth it because this morning I made it to Quito!  Had my first hot shower in a few days today and as an added bonus the water doesn´t smell like sewer. Best part is  I got lucky and booked a cheap 8 day cruise to the Galapagos tomorrow!  Can´t wait! 

Anyway, that´s about all for now!

Wicked, you’re going to the Galapagos!

Your trip sounds very interesting, TR!  The part of your trip where you had to lock your cab doors sounded unnerving to me.  Enjoy your cruise to the Galapagos Islands…maybe you’ll be able to observe the sea iguanas. :sunglasses:

[quote=“hitest”]sea iguanas
[/quote]

Mermaids?

Depending on how many beers you consume you may see those too:-)  The sea iguanas would be very cool to watch I think.  You’re a lucky man, TR! :sunglasses:

there are these crazy leafs you chew that make your head numb and your hunger go away…and they are FREE there!

Reminds me of an old TV commercial jingle…“Things go better with coke” :smiley:

WoW, sounds like your having a great time :smiley: I too was on vacation, it was a blast, went camping everywhere and got to see tons of wildlife :smiley: Glad to be back home, though, i did notice that not much has changed here, there’s little bitter people everywhere…

So I´m currently in the Galapagos.  It´s amazing!  Went snorkling with sea turtles, sea lions, sting rays, etc etc.  I´ve seen sea iguanas and lava lizards and a whole host of endemic species to the islands.  Nothing quite like swimming right next to a school of tropical fish or having a sea lion kiss you.  Amazing time here! 

The boat is pretty…rustic, heh.  The cabin that I share with a UK girl is about the size of a good sized coffin but we make due.  It has a bathroom with shower but the shower is just a garden hoze and nozzle.  It´s sort of weird showering because there is no stall.  The cook is by far the coolest guy on the çrew.  He´s just indescribably wicked.  Tonight we´re eating fresh albacore that we bought off some local fisherman while spotting frigate birds.  Will upload some pictures once I deal some issues my SD card is having.