PC Freezups

Wall Street Journal: New G5 iMac is the best PC ever. Mainly because it doesn’t use Windows, and the wide-screen LCD alone is worth the money.

Walt Mossberg says “Best PC ever reviewed”

ptech.wsj.com/ptech.html

Windows PCs are only cheaper if your time is worth nothing. If you seriously have the time to constantly reformat and tweak, and scan for spyware and viruses, and upgrade, and work against the computer instead of with it, then yeah, Windows is for you.

[quote]Pink-Dildo-Sword wrote:
and is especially great for the brain-dead or average user.

I like that… Very Happy[/quote]

Hey come on now. I know vvvvvvvvwhat I do, it’s just that this problem should not be happening. I keep my pc’s in tip top, there has to be something wrong here? As a tech, I do a very good job, but this one has me clueless.

:smiley:

:unamused: As a tech you should know that “upgrading” a version of windows is a shitty way to do things. Format install XP dont upgrade and you will notice quite the performance increase.

No shit dude… You ‘upgraded’ to Windows XP from Windows 98. What the hell were you thinking? You might aswell have ‘upgraded’ to Windows ME while you were at at. I think that’s probably one of the best ways not to keep your system in ‘tip top’ condition…

no shit. I didn’t catch that. What is it? If it came with 98 it can’t be much of a system. Our HP PIII/667 w 256MB still locks up on occasion with XP.
Win 2000 might be better on a sub 1000MHz machine.
You heard the concensus: format and reinstall.

1. set BIOS to boot from CD, floppy, C
    2)boot with WIn98 floppy. fdisk and delete existing partition
    3)take out floppy, insert XP CD and reboot. Let it use NTFS, it’ll setup partition & format everything.

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”]no shit. I didn’t catch that. What is it? If it came with 98 it can’t be much of a system. Our HP PIII/667 w 256MB still locks up on occasion with XP.
Win 2000 might be better on a sub 1000MHz machine.
You heard the concensus: format and reinstall.

1. set BIOS to boot from CD, floppy, C
    2)boot with WIn98 floppy. fdisk and delete existing partition
    3)take out floppy, insert XP CD and reboot. Let it use NTFS, it’ll setup partition & format everything.[/quote]

Agreed. Although I like Windows 2000 more than Windows XP regardless of the processor class.

processors with class won’t run any Windows…
:laughing:

speaking of processors with class… This machine has like 3 or 4 java worms… all ending with .class extensions. Norton and AVg can’t doa nythign about it… .Other than reading the symantec reports on the worms, is there any idea how to remove them these days? I havn’t had a virus on my own machine for a years now, so I dont’ even kno what to do for this girl.

find the process kill it or kill the registry key that starts it up then delete the class files?

I dont really know though if you give me specifics i can probably help more.

I killed allt he worms and then e-mailed their children to Santa Claus.

the best way to get your problem solved is to unInstall the antivirus program n then reinstall it

Its taking a lot of time because you must hve turned the option of checking virus scan at startup on that is y you are faceing this problem Deselect that and CHECK IT OUT for your self

If this doesnt work this means that your anti virus has gone Crazy n its mking your system go slow 8) :laughing:

:unamused: Thanks for the tips, Tippy! Why do some people even bother?

because he is trying to become popular. ! or achieve more post’s…