Parents of truant kids can face jail time

CNN story

So what do some of you teachers think? and some of you parents? about going to jail if your kid misses to much school, should the government/justice system be involved?

To start you are talking CNN not the most trusted news people, is it in America? That law has been sort of out there for sometime now but the parents must pay a fine. I have not seen it put in play here through my years.

go to the link…read the story… :stuck_out_tongue:

No, no no. Not into reading so early in the day and I do not trust CNN.

lol :smiley:

It’s already law here in the UK…

I read it…the parents don’t go to jail because their kid’s skipped school.
They go to jail for violation of a court order…

I sure hope that does not become a case here I would be one of those parents,and honestly I have tried every thing. I have the ministry involved I have been taking him to a pediatrician so what next. Ok we might be on to something here I wonder if this is a topic that might come up ineresting in a conversation at dinner I dont think he would want mommy to go to jail. So more info Please.

semantics

I think this is very appropriate for the US. They don’t jail nearly enough people.

According to the article it hasn’t made much of a difference in attendance, either. 

Just another reason to put people behind bars, without solving anything. 

People don’t send their kids to school to avoid prison.  They send their kids to school when they see value in it.

Well, it is the law. Should I be allowed to drive 120km per hour in a school zone just because I don’t see the value in driving safely?

Jail time seems a little extreme, but I think neglectful parents should be punished if they don’t care enough to make sure their kids go to school.

[quote=“eccentric”]
Should I be allowed to drive 120km per hour in a school zone just because I don’t see the value in driving safely?[/quote]

Well, if you don’t see the value in driving safely, fine and threats of prison time are unlikely to deter you.

They don’t care enough to send their kids to school, so no amount of punishment is going to change that.  Sending them to jail apparently doesn’t change that either. 

Perhaps you need to ask why they don’t care enough to send their kids to school instead.

we are looking at two different scenarios here.

A. parents dont send their kids to school…
B. Children don’t go to school because they don’t want to. 

In A. the parents need help and not jail.
In B. the children need help.

If the child is under the age of 12 then something needs to be put into place. welfare system steps in and child goes to school.

If the parents cant handle their children then again they need to take parenting classes.

I remember a kid in school who stopped going to school in grade 7, there was nothing the parents could do, the kid would leave the house and just not go. Both parents worked. in the end the kid was kicked out of the house and had to work.

What I’m getting at is that I don’t think sending Parents to jail in the right thing to do and as Mike indicated that’s what’s happening  more and more south of the border.

But more then that; the whole system in the states is failing its youth and its people. Their culture and way of living is crumbling around them, leaving those people who work hard and try to get ahead have to be worried about going to jail because kids don’t want to go to school… 

Would you feel safe going to a school that is like going to a prison. Metal detectors, barred windows and security personal wondering the hallways, because some kid may go commando on fellow class mates.

[quote=“Astro”]
I remember a kid in school who stopped going to school in grade 7, there was nothing the parents could do, the kid would leave the house and just not go. Both parents worked. in the end the kid was kicked out of the house and had to work. [/quote]

But that’s the thing–the parents of me and my friends would have taken us to school, gone in with us, and sat through class. Sure, it’s not permanent, but I don’t think that a family in which the parent is willing to do this has kids that are dealing with anything but a rebellious phase.

If the child is actually at the point where they will never go to school, then the parents’ actions to get them to stay in school are futile–they messed up much earlier in the parenting process.

Bottom line–take the kids out of the setting, and there’s your punishment for the parents.

[quote=“sin-seer-lee”]
I sure hope that does not become a case here I would be one of those parents,and honestly I have tried every thing. I have the ministry involved I have been taking him to a pediatrician so what next. Ok we might be on to something here I wonder if this is a topic that might come up ineresting in a conversation at dinner I dont think he would want mommy to go to jail. So more info Please.
/quote]I have been away for a little while so I missed jumping in to this argument as I said I have tried everything even dragging him to school kicking and screaming waiting inanother part of the school asking them to notify the ministry and to answer how these tactics all went as far as forcing him to go the teacher would call within 20 min. saying she cannot have this disruption in her class as all he did was cry then as far as the ministry the school said they would never do that to a child oh and waiting in another part of the school for him he would sneak out and come find me. So you see no matter what you do if achild does not want to go he wont even thoughthe school refused to call MCFS I did and now we are working at resolving this matter without punishing my child or us as we are good parents, he still is not in school but at least he is getting an education.[/quote]

I am not sure what I did but I added my new post to a previous one I am new to this online stuff I was trying to quote tried everything to get child to scchool.

Get real. Put some of the blame where it lies: The school system fails to promote itself.

Nowhere does our local SD promote the value of education to our kids.
“Fun” has been purged from the system by draconian thugs posing as Directors.
Zero effort has been put into showing how what is being taught is utilized in real life.
The efforts to promote a “safe” environment are complete failures. Bullying policies are totally compromised by politics.
Racism seems to be covertly accepted and kids notice. Official policy be damned. They see reality, not the policy.

Blame parents who don’t push their kids through school. But if kids really don’t want to go, they just skip the moment backs are turned.