Panel: Palin abused power in trooper case

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (CNN) – Republican vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin abused her power as Alaska’s governor and violated state ethics law by trying to get her ex-brother-in-law fired from the state police, a state investigator’s report concluded Friday.

“Gov. Palin knowingly permitted a situation to continue where impermissible pressure was placed on several subordinates in order to advance a personal agenda,” the report states.

Public Safety Commissioner Walt Monegan’s refusal to fire State Trooper Mike Wooten from the state police force was “likely a contributing factor” to Monegan’s July dismissal, but Palin had the authority as governor to fire him, the report by former Anchorage prosecutor Stephen Branchflower states.

However, it states that her efforts to get Wooten fired broke a state ethics law that bars public officials from pursuing personal interest through official action.

CNN

Rumour has it that Palin was booed as she dropped the puck for the ceremonial faceoff between the Flyers and Ranger tonight. If anyone finds a video of it happening, I’d love it if you posted it here.

On the Bob McCown show on The Fan yesterday Al Morganti relayed the details of Mrs. Palins daily jog around Philadelphia yesterday, she apparently was jogging in a Rangers jersey…

They don’t pay the secret service enough money to put up with that kind of behaviour!!! :stuck_out_tongue: 

Hmmm, you’re a day ahead of yourself there, Rangers were at home to Chicago tonight. The flyers home opener is Saturday night, when I’m sure your prognostication will find validation.

nhl.com/ice/schedulebyday.ht … F10%2F2008

Perhaps we should rename you future-eso :smiley:

Web 2.0, why have you forsaken me?!?

There was a headline on Reddit earlier that said “Palin booed in Philadelphia”, and I assumed it was at the hockey game.

blogs.forbes.com/trailwatch/2008 … a-pal.html

Extra, Extra! Palin Gets Booed in Philadelphia
Palin Gets Booed in Philly!  This is sure to be the headline splashed across television and newspapers Sunday morning, the day after the Republican Vice Presidential candidate and hockey mom from Alaska drops the puck at the ceremonial face-off for the Philadelphia Flyers’ home opener on Saturday night at the soon-to-need-a-name-change Wachovia Center. What will be missing from the news: the jeers were deserved.

As every sports fan knows, no one is safe in front of Philadelphia fans—they have never needed a reason to boo anyone in their ballpark, stadium or arena. As usual though, the boring chorus of media scrutiny will chalk the behavior up to the stereotypically described obnoxious Philly fans. This time, especially, they will be wrong.

To preface, as a Philadelphia sports fan, I have never condoned or participated in my fellow fans’ questionable behavior. Rather, I have felt, especially in this age of rising ticket prices and the city’s championship drought, there is something sacred between a paying fan and his/her right to reasonably react to events on the field or ice.

Unlike the savages in other cities who riot in the streets (Colorado Avalanche fans after their 2001 Stanley Cup victory), hurl weapons at opposing players (a hunting knife was thrown by a defeated Yankees fan at Angels’ Wally Joyner in 1986), and partake in random senseless acts of violence (this past summer a Red Sox fan beat a man sitting in his car with his family after a night of fireworks on Cape Cod for simply displaying a New York State license plate), Philly fans’ deafening loud juvenile shouts seem tame. Santa Claus, Mike Schmidt, the great third baseman and former Philadelphia Philly, and Michael Irvin, the former Dallas Cowboy, successfully walked away from Philly fans’ taunts. I hope that will be the case for Palin.

If it is not, she has partly herself to blame. During her last visit to Philadelphia during the weekend of September 27, 2008, she made two huge blunders that did not go unnoticed by Philadelphians. The first, as reported in The Philadelphia Inquirer last Sunday, October 5, 2008, is that she actually attempted to leave her hotel for a jog wearing a New York Rangers’ jersey. The second, in response to the first, is that she displayed how little she knows about hockey and sports, to one of sports’ most passionate fan bases. No hockey fan in their right mind would show up in Philadelphia wearing a jersey of a New York team, or vice-versa, without expecting some sort of fight to ensue.

Certainly trouble was not on Palin’s mind. So it begs the question: is Palin really the hockey fan she says she is? The answer has nothing to do with whether or not she can adequately serve the office of the Vice President.

What I question is her integrity and her word, and those things matter in a city of hard-working people facing real struggles as I wrote about in this space before. Fortunately a very kind couple in Philly gear riding the elevator with Palin informed her she could not be seen dressed like that and the woman gave Palin her Eagles’ jersey. Unfortunately for Palin, this story came out around the time it was announced she would be dropping the puck at the Flyer’s home opener—against their bitter rivals, the New York Rangers.

(I will only mention incidentally that Palin can also expect boos by those who vehemently disagree with anyone outside of Philadelphia invoking Rocky, as she did when she used the movie theme song as she entered into her wrap-up party after her Vice Presidential debate. Just like I noted when Hillary Clinton did this, Palin was off base. What is worse is that she did it in the face of her opponent, Philly metro boy, Joe Biden.)

The other one who will bear responsibility for any fan misconduct is Ed Snider, the Chairman of Comcast-Spectacor, which owns the Philadelphia Flyers. He announced this event for Palin, and while he claims it has nothing to do with politics and everything to do with the Flyers “Ultimate Hockey Momâ€

Surprise!!  Palin maintains that she did not abuse her power. :imp:

[quote]ANCHORAGE, Alaska (CNN) — Republican vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin denied Saturday that she had abused her power as Alaska’s governor, a conclusion reached by a state investigator in a report released the day before.

Responding to a media crew’s question, the Alaska governor said, “If you read the report, you will see that there was nothing unlawful.â€[/quote]

Even more surprising that she actually talked to the media!!! :imp:

Agreed. 
She’s doing a good job with being the rabid GOP attack dog.  It’ll be interesting to see if this strategy works come November.  So far, the polls are favouring Obama’s calm, measured approach.  A little over three weeks to go. :smile:

Well a day late on your prediction, but here it is!

The gov, the puck and the boos. 

Though the Flyers played their music so FREAKIN LOUD, that you could hardly hear the ever courteous Flyer fans offer their salutations…

Interesting as she uses the little kid as the point person heading back to the side of the rink!

Then again, it is Philly, you can never be too careful there…

I’m very happy that the Troopergate probe results came out before November 4th.  Even though Palin was found to have broken ethical guidelines she maintains that she did nothing wrong.
I can’t imagine her ascending to a position of real power, authority.  Shiver

Bill Clinton used his state troopers for a much more useful purpose.

LMAO…“I did not have sexual relations with that woman, Miss Lewinsky”…

Well, when he was governor of Arkansas, he had troopers round up um… young ladies for important policy meetings.

I will assume that he examined their briefs during the in camera meetings. :smiley:  Policy meetings are important. :wink: