Oyster Bar

So you don’t think you should complain about businesses in public, then? It hurts their reputation?

[quote=“bubbasteve735”]As far as I can tell, this is a lot bigger than being ripped off for 50$ or having bad service. I usually don’t come on here and post about that sort of stuff anyways. Not that I can remember anyways. If I have, the posts have been few and far in between. It doesn’t get anyone anywhere, to come and post on a forum about a debt. How is potentially ruining the reputation of a business that creates the cash flow, that could be used to pay the guy back, going to help at all?

It just seems like a silly way of going about things. To me anyways.[/quote]

Well if the allegations are true I’d hedge a bet that at this point return of the purported merchandise or payment for it is not expected and the poster is angry and venting their frustrations.

If the allegations are true then they have every right to bash this business and hurt their reputation… I mean if I knew a business didnt pay its suppliers I probably wouldnt shop there and I’m sure thats what scottlunn is trying to get across to the good people of prince rupert with his allegations.

Now if the allegations he is making arent true then well… the owners of this store should find a good lawyer and sue his ass.

I try not to base my judgment on one experience in the first place. I’ve worked in customer service and I know what it’s like to have a rough day at work. This kind of behavior is why our site has such a bad reputation in the first place. And lets face it, we don’t like it when people say not so flattering things about us. (Cough, Rudy Kelly cough)

This isn’t complaining about a business, this is wanting money from a person. Yes, said person owns a few businesses. But my question is, why not deal with it the proper way?

[quote=“bubbasteve735”]

I try not to base my judgment on one experience in the first place. I’ve worked in customer service and I know what it’s like to have a rough day at work. This kind of behavior is why our site has such a bad reputation in the first place. And lets face it, we don’t like it when people say not so flattering things about us. (Cough, Rudy Kelly cough)

This isn’t complaining about a business, this is wanting money from a person. Yes, said person owns a few businesses. But my question is, why not deal with it the proper way?[/quote]

On medication are we? You’re not usually this retarded. There have been previous posts which they did not mention any specifics only used htmf as another method to get in touch with the owners in order to deal with it privately. Allegedly it never got dealt with so now their are airing the dirty laundry. This is complaining about a business and if true its a warning to others who may wish to get involved with them.

As an aside… I really dont give a flying fuck when people say unflattering things about me.

I worked in the family business and always wanted to sell the accounts receivable info to the highest bidder after giving the people who owed the money some advance notice and the chance to pay up. In a small town I think shame can work. If a person is capable of feeling shame.

I wonder if the TV network does follow-ups???

By the way, did the episode ever air?? If not when??

Are these the same people that own the store that keeps changing names???

[quote=“jesus”]

This isn’t complaining about a business, this is wanting money from a person. Yes, said person owns a few businesses. But my question is, why not deal with it the proper way?

On medication are we? You’re not usually this retarded. There have been previous posts which they did not mention any specifics only used htmf as another method to get in touch with the owners in order to deal with it privately. Allegedly it never got dealt with so now their are airing the dirty laundry. This is complaining about a business and if true its a warning to others who may wish to get involved with them.

As an aside… I really dont give a flying fuck when people say unflattering things about me.[/quote]

Tres bon!

[quote=“MiG”]It’s not a bank doing this. I doubt the two parties involved signed any confidentiality agreement, and if they did, one party not paying probably negates it anyway.
[/quote]

Whether there is a confidentiality agreement or not, businesses in BC are prohibited from disclosing personal information about an identified or identifiable individual - in this case “Dave” at the Oyster Bar - without their consent. There are some exceptions, but they are very specific; disclosing information as a tactic to embarrass someone into paying money isn’t one of them.

See the Personal Information Protection Act: bclaws.ca/EPLibraries/bclaws … #section18

[quote=“MiG”]

Why would that get you into a bit of trouble? It’s not libel or slander if it’s true.[/quote]

Having twice had lawyers write to people to caution them about making defamatory statements, I can confidently say that it’s a bit more complicated than that.

Statements are defamatory if they tend to lower a person’s reputation in the eyes of others. The truth, which is termed “justification”, is a defence, but the onus is on the defamer to prove the truth of their statements (there is no presumption of innocence like in criminal law). Until then the statements are presumed to be defamatory.

A lot also depends on the circumstances. Even if there is some truth in what is said, is it the whole story? It may be true that money is owed, but perhaps under the agreement its not past due; or perhaps there is a set off because the defamer owes the other party some money.

The person who was defamed, meanwhile, has to demonstrate that they suffered damages if the words were spoken, ie slander. But if the words were written, ie libel, damages need not be proved; they are presumed because damages may be caused in future as various people read the words.

If the defamer cannot prove the truth of what they said (and they have no other defences), repeating the statements in a public forum like this may be an aggravating circumstance, which may result in a larger damages award against them.

As for the situation at hand, I pretty much agree with with bubbasteve’s cautionary advice and other remarks.

all good, but 5 across the eyes solves all, just ask my kids haha

I am starting to wonder the same thing. I have called several times to make a group reservations for about 20 of us over the last month and a half and have had no returned phone call or anything. I haven’t even gotten a phone call to say that they are closed at this time and will be open again in ?? So don’t think I will be trying to make reservations there again any time soon…plus from what I have heard they have gotten rid of all the chefs that helped to open the place and did all the setup and hard work to get the place going. WOW now that is a special kind of employee loyalty!!!

The Act being referred to restricts the collection use or publication of personal information. Personal information is more or less defined as information about a person. I gave the Act a quick scan but it doesn’t seem to restrict the use of information obtained about another organization. So, I doubt it prevents an organization from publicizing the fact that another organization owes it money.

In this case, the poster would have probably been better off if he had said ‘Dave’s Osyter Bar’ owes me money, rather than Dave. But if Dave is running the oyster bar as an proprietership or Dave is the registered owner of the company, then in case of the proprietership, money is being owed by Dave and if incorporated, by the company controlled by Dave. So, I don’t think it would be deemed personal information.

With regard to the suitabilty of the collection effort, well, there are a lot of businesses that when everyone pays their bills, the business is reasonably successful, but it doesn’t take to many deadbeats to kill an otherwise successful business.

hehe :smile:

It reopens tonite. Heres the msg for those of you who dont facebook :stuck_out_tongue:

Daves Oyster Bar will re-open tonight, January 20th 2011 @ 6pm. Come down and check out the best drink specials in town and the renovations Dave and Marika have been hard at since the new year.

Thanks
Staff & Managment

The Chef didn’t “Get fired” after he helped them open, he quit. You shouldn’t be so quick to jump to conclusions!

I have yet to swing by and try out the new place, it sounds good. :smile:

I hope the business venture is a success. Marika works really hard. I looked at the FB group, the menu prices seem reasonable.

I have actually talked to 1 of the chefs in a lineup at Safeway and she told me that she was let go. So different storys, but all the same do they have any of the cooking staff that helped them do ALL the setup, cleaning, and setting up of the menus left?? There was a great young man working there and I hope he is still there!!!

Well, I have to wish these guys luck, and commend them on their guts.

I’ve been part of a lot of restaurant ventures in the past, and I know it’s on of the most difficult types of small business. Especially in a small market like Prince Rupert.

[quote=“bookgirl13”]

I have actually talked to 1 of the chefs in a lineup at Safeway and she told me that she was let go. So different storys, but all the same do they have any of the cooking staff that helped them do ALL the setup, cleaning, and setting up of the menus left?? There was a great young man working there and I hope he is still there!!![/quote]

Maybe there was a reason she was let go? It’s not often people actually admit their faults and say the real reason they were fired from a job.