Owen Wilson…best actor?

I’ve only seen a few of his movies so far (Rushmore, Wedding Crasher, Zoolander), but I’m really turning into a fan of this guy. They interviewed him in playboy this month and I think his best line was when he compared picking up women at weddings to fishing with dynamite (unfortunately for my single, female friends he wasn’t a guest at our wedding!) From a female’s point of view, he’s a pretty smart guy with lots of great points for the single men out there. Anyone else like him, or catch this interview?

Katy

He’s a good actor, but in my opinion, calling him the best is going out on a limb.

Bottle Rocket http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0115734/

great little movie with his bro!!! frst movie do beleive.

[quote=“tomdunn422”]I’ve only seen a few of his movies so far (Rushmore, Wedding Crasher, Zoolander), but I’m really turning into a fan of this guy. They interviewed him in playboy this month and I think his best line was when he compared picking up women at weddings to fishing with dynamite (unfortunately for my single, female friends he wasn’t a guest at our wedding!) From a female’s point of view, he’s a pretty smart guy with lots of great points for the single men out there. Anyone else like him, or catch this interview?

Katy[/quote]

You clearly don’t watch many movies

Watch some of Al Pacino, Robert DeNiro, Marlon Brando, Don Cheadle (for Hotel Rwanda) films

Is there a word that basically means “someone that is a snobby, obnoxious loudmouth that thinks they are an exquisitely learned connoiseur”?

[quote=“tomdunn422”]I’ve only seen a few of his movies so far (Rushmore, Wedding Crasher, Zoolander), but I’m really turning into a fan of this guy. They interviewed him in playboy this month and I think his best line was when he compared picking up women at weddings to fishing with dynamite (unfortunately for my single, female friends he wasn’t a guest at our wedding!) From a female’s point of view, he’s a pretty smart guy with lots of great points for the single men out there. Anyone else like him, or catch this interview?

Katy[/quote]

In a completely unprovoked attack of backontopicism, I’ve seen Owen Wilson in those Jackie Chan in the Wild West movies, as well as that one where he is the Goose to some dude’s Maverick (wherein this Maverick gets his ticket punched), and then Gene Hackman goes in to rescue him or something.

This is actually the first time that I have actually read that someone is a “fan” of Owen Wilson, and even possibly saying that he is the best actor.

Owen Wilson irritates me like Keanu Reeves irritates me, except Wilson has more of a ‘surfer-dude-overacting-to-look-like-he-doesn’t-want-come-off-as-too-serious’ thing about him.

Keanu lost the surfer edge he had. Now he overacts just because. I did like the Matrix movies, but not because of him.

Props to Optimus Prime for mentioning the real best actors in Hollywood (Pacino, DeNiro, Brando, Cheadle). I do have to add Gene Hackman to that list hough

For the love of all that is good, don’t ever rent or buy the Life Aquatica movie. I got a headache just trying to understand what the heck was the point of the whole thing, and then I fell asleep watching it. Owen Wilson is in it, and he really bugs me. He is not even close to ever winning the best actor of any award out there.

I use the basic rule that anything with an SNL star in it is suspect; wait til it’s in the 99 cent rack. Anything with Bill Murray in it is shit; only watch if it’s to avoid cleaning the toilet or something.
It works 90% of the time…

Lost in Translation
The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
Coffee and Cigarettes
Ed Wood
Groundhog Day
Wild Things
Little Shop of Horrors
Ghostbusters
Where the Buffalo Roam
Caddyshack
Rushmore

All movies with Bill Murray. All movies that aren’t shit.

And by SNL, you gotta mean recent SNL, right?

What about 'Who’s line is it anyways?'
Bill Murray IS that show (the ones where Drew Carey is hosting).

[quote=“MiG”]Lost in Translation
The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
Coffee and Cigarettes
Ed Wood
Groundhog Day
Wild Things
Little Shop of Horrors
Ghostbusters
Where the Buffalo Roam
Caddyshack
Rushmore

All movies with Bill Murray. All movies that aren’t shit.

And by SNL, you gotta mean recent SNL, right?[/quote]

Nope. Since Animal House, no SNL actor involved movie rated close on the funny list (Eddy Murphy closest).
Your list is my ‘try another channel’ list.
Lost in translation was interesting. In a Chinese sort of meaning…

Ok, so what’s the funny list? 'cause if they’re funnier than those, I want to see them.

And while I’d be the first to agree with you that the “as seen on SNL” skit-becomes-movie genre generally sucks, that’s about as far as I’d go with criticizing movies that involve former SNL actors.

Lots of movies involving former SNL actors are great: Something about Mary, for example. Funny as heck! I think it’s the Lorne Michaels connection that usually screws up the other movies.

Saying “Doodoo Butter” to strangers is enough to make a man giggle to himself… giggle long enough that he’ll be asked if he’s on mushrooms, to which he will replay “No… I’m laughing about retards

okay, to be more exact ‘starring’ SNL actors. Something about Mary and Ed Wood just had SNL actors in them.
A) almost anything with Jim Carrey is funny. Funny enought to make the ‘lets rent a funny one’ list.
B) almost anything with a Python in it is good.
C) Jackie Chan is funnier than Bill Murray.

And yes, Lorne Micheals has passed his day. But at least he didn’t turn into a conservative mouthpiece like PJ O’Rourke and Dennis Miller…
Dan Ackroyd as Sgt. Joe Friday was funny. There are exceptions to my rule. Vacation was funny.

Ooookay, back to owen wilson…

Is it just me, or does he have the same role in EVERY movie? I mean, his movies are funny (i LOVED Zoolander) but he always plays his same old role. The sidekick or partner of some guy that uses his little stuttery voice. Starsky and Hutch, Shanghai Noon/Knights, Zoolander, his first movie with his brother, his cameo in Around the World in 80 Days, and even his upcoming movie about crashing weddings: all of which have him as someone’s partner or sidekick.

But that’s why he’s so good-because he’s Owen Wilson in all his films. The Royal Tannenbaums was a GREAT flick, that was my introduction to the wilson brothers…

its the ole…your favourite movie sucks.

but - if you’re favourite movie is PAPARAZZI… your favourite movie REALLY sucks. good thing i didnt watch most of it.

Owen Wilson’s broken (or abnormally grown) nose irritates me, and he’s absolutely boring. I don’t look for him in a movie he’s in.

Owen Wilson has a hockey nose. I guess he thinks it’s his trademark or something or he would have got it fixed as soon as he started making movies.