Our BC is not For Sale!

[quote=“orangetang”]Alistair, rocking the message boards!

I agree, but understand very little of what is happening.

Sounds like janitors, mail workers and such are complaining about low wages… DUH?

Whats happening?

And what does the topic title have to do with anything?[/quote]

Ok this is going to sound cheesy… but for starters I had no idea what to name it and got the title from the HEU website, hahahaaaa
I agree that it doesn’t seem right with workers tampering with people’s health care in order to lash out at the Liberal’s.
I haven’t studied the fine details about the strike, etc. But when I think of janitors and linen cleaners, I automatically think, no education. So if they want to get paid more, go back to school and get a degree and make your 18 + an hour. Until then settle for what you get. But on the other hand, the other health care professionals deserve the money they make.
Another thing I don’t understand is the amount of money a person sitting on the board for the Northern Health Authority. It was all over the news a few months back stating they make over 500 grand a year. Lucky buggers.

The government is imposing an 11% pay cut on them. Wouldn’t you be mad if somebody did that to you?

The government won’t negotiate or go to arbitration or anything like that.

They get paid $10-12 dollars an hour, barely more than McDonalds. A hospital isn’t McDonald’s… yet. But if we follow Allistair’s no-government plan, I guess it will be soon.

I would definately be pissed off. But not enough to walk out on people who are suffering with various ailments.
So anyone hear of any unions joining in on the demonstration?? My father’s union is talking about it, but it takes a lot of time and planning to shut down an entire mill.

Hmm, well the government cut funding where I work, so I dont’ have a job right now. Yeah it sucks, but I’m not raising a stink, and neither are the rest of us.

I suppose if you could, you may aswell.

So if they don’t walk out, then the government says “ok, um, we’re going to cut you to $2.00/hour”

At what point would you walk out? 50 cents an hour? 1 cent an hour?

Where is your walk-out point?

Or would you do it for free if the government decided not to pay you anymore?

Would you pay the government to allow you to work?

This is a totally serious question: what is the point at which you would walk out?

[quote=“Prudence”]I would definately be pissed off. But not enough to walk out on people who are suffering with various ailments.
So anyone hear of any unions joining in on the demonstration?? My father’s union is talking about it, but it takes a lot of time and planning to shut down an entire mill.[/quote]

I have heard of a few. I think the idea is for all unions to step in, but then again I still dont’ know what’s going on, nor do I really care. Hell, if someone cut my wage, I would quit and work somwhere else…

Well when I am not happy with one job, I look for another one!

You didn’t answer the question.

You said that you wouldn’t leave a hospital job if they cut your pay. You said you wouldn’t walk out " on people who are suffering with various ailments. "

Well, what would make you walk out?

We all just kind of posted within a minute of eachother here :wink: I dont’ think he read that yet.

Yeah that is what normally happens, people look for work when they aren’t happy with their present employer. But when it comes to government jobs, people seem to take advantage of the fact. THey have their ’ you work with my taxdollars’ attitude and blow it all out of proportion.
Hmmm I wonder how many janitors and linen cleaners are enrolled for post secondary education next year. :question:

I’m not following your point. But yeah, who had their wages cut, and why is everyone involved?

it might sound heartless but all of the people being affected negatively in this should maybe think a little harder when faced with decisions like hosting the motherfucking olympics and all the other bullshit that goes on.

i received word i’m supposed to go out on monday, i didnt even know i was in CUPE though???

[quote=“MiG”]

You said that you wouldn’t leave a hospital job if they cut your pay. You said you wouldn’t walk out " on people who are suffering with various ailments. "

Well, what would make you walk out?[/quote]

I wouldn’t walk out. I would seek other employment and make due with the pay cut in the meantime. Then quit.

Looks like greater support is building for the HEU. Planning to be in Vancouver on Monday? From the CKNW website:
No transit service in Vancouver on Monday

VANCOUVER/ CKNW (AM980) – There will be no transit service in Greater Vancouver on Monday. Public transit will grind to a halt with the first bus, Skytrain, or Seabus on Monday morning.

More than 3,300 members of the Canadian Auto Workers Union have decided to launch what it calls a “Day of Democracy” to support health care workers and to protest government legislation to force those workers back to work.

CAW local President Don McLeod says the plan, so far, is for a one day walk-out - but McLeod is not ruling out anything and says members will leave their options open in case they want to continue the job action.

Those who normally rely on public transit to commute will be scrambling to find alternate methods of transportation.

[quote=“Prudence”]

Well, what would make you walk out?

shit i pressed edit instead of reply…

I wouldn’t walk out. I would seek other employment and make due with the pay cut in the meantime. Then quit.[/quote]

ok, now imagine you’re 50. you’ve got mortgage payments. saggy boobs. still gonna quit??

No no no, I would never quit a job until I had a new one lined up. ( and being 50 with saggage happening is something to look forward to, it’s a step nearing the end of life.)

which is totally easy to do when your 50, busting your ass already to make your expenses, and living in Northen BC.

oh yeah!

And that’s what I’m trying to get at here.

At what point would you do something?

They’ve been cut 11% or so. How much would you be willing to bear before you walked out on strike? 50% 100% ?

Me, it’s about 5% or so. Cut me by 4%, I might not do much. Cut me by 5%, I’m on strike.

How about you? Obviously you wouldn’t walk out on strike for an 11% cut, but 25%? 75%?

do you believe in kharma? careful what you joke about, hehe

[quote=“MiG”]

And that’s what I’m trying to get at here.

At what point would you do something?

They’ve been cut 11% or so. How much would you be willing to bear before you walked out on strike? 50% 100% ?

Me, it’s about 5% or so. Cut me by 4%, I might not do much. Cut me by 5%, I’m on strike.

How about you? Obviously you wouldn’t walk out on strike for an 11% cut, but 25%? 75%?[/quote]

Well I would have to do my homework and talk it over with my ‘brothers and sisters’ (so cute when people in solidarity say that)
So yeah you got me Mig, I have no room saying anything about the matter. But it isn’t fair on how the strike is affecting people in our communties, that is all.