Ottawa enforces rare law to halt "Buy America" @ PR Terminal

Prince Rupert is the only Canadian terminal for the Alaska Marine Highway.
they are performing upgrades on their terminals and their fleet. Their new ferries that they are planning will be built in Alaska
So what is the big deal with them wanting to use their contractors for the Job

Remember when BC Ferries had the Northern Expedition built in Germany instead of Vancouver shipyards

Lots of other things on the go at the moment. Leave this be

dont think it was their contractors they where going to be used, the issue was the steel had to be American made, but Nathan Cullen was opposed to this so he encouraged the Federal government to oppose it so they did, now no new ferry terminal, thank you Nathan for standing up for CHINESE steel makers and not unionized american steelmakers, and don’t kid yourselves it would have been chinese steel and not canadian steel. look at what happened on the johnston street bridge in Victoria, it was delayed because the Chinese Steel they were using was defective so now they are waiting for better Chinese Steel and NOT Canadian steel.

so once again Nathan CUllen thank you for standing up for Chinese steel makers and getting a 20 million project canceled in Prince Rupert, way to look after your constiuents.

will this be in your next flyer?

[quote=“Jabber63”]dont think it was their contractors they where going to be used, the issue was the steel had to be American made, but Nathan Cullen was opposed to this so he encouraged the Federal government to oppose it so they did, now no new ferry terminal, thank you Nathan for standing up for CHINESE steel makers and not unionized american steelmakers, and don’t kid yourselves it would have been chinese steel and not canadian steel. look at what happened on the johnston street bridge in Victoria, it was delayed because the Chinese Steel they were using was defective so now they are waiting for better Chinese Steel and NOT Canadian steel.

so once again Nathan CUllen thank you for standing up for Chinese steel makers and getting a 20 million project canceled in Prince Rupert, way to look after your constiuents.

will this be in your next flyer?[/quote]

Thanks for clearing this up I was not sure about the labour end Canadians would of had the employment part of it maybe some of out of town but at least Canadians and i wondered about the steel … I would rather US union worker steel be used than Chinese … We would also have gotten an updated terminal … oh well plenty of foreign materials on the way for LNG

^There has never been an issue of Canadian workers for this project…more likely than not, the majority if not all of them will be Canadian workers involved in this project.

I agree with Jabber…NDP MP Nathan Cullen used this for his own advantage and the Conservatives took the bait completely.

Alaskan officials still remain committed to the project, but could delay it now by 5 years…that also gives them 5 years to say they are abandoning the Prince Rupert terminal altogether, which would cost PR not only jobs, but millions in investments and a sizeable decrease in tourists coming through the city to meet or get off this ferry, the latter of which would be felt every year for the next number of decades.

I certainly hope Prince Rupert’s local Nathan Cullen supporters are aware of just how damaging his actions could be to the Prince Rupert economy.

Well if they decide to close the terminal…we should put a toll on the Alaskan Hiway

don’t know where the advantage for Nathan Cullen was? it will hurt him more here if anything, he might be able to campaign in Ontario by saying he stood up for Canadian steelworkers. here he cant say word one about it for he cost us construction jobs and a much needed upgrade to the terminal. as for the Conservatives it doesn’t hurt them at all for they can say in Ontario they stood up to the americans for their steelworkers which is where the next election will be won or lost. so again way to go Nathan for standing up for Chinese steel workers as screwing your constituents.

why oh why can’t we elect MLA’s or MP’s that actually want to see our area and city grow with jobs and industry.

I much prefer my spin on the story (and boy has there been a lot of uninformed spin in this thread):

Obama, President of the United States phones Stephen Harper, Supreme Ruler in his own mind, and informs him that ‘Keystone is a no-go’.

Harper in a ‘smoke coming out of the ears’ fit of rage (and genuine concern for what the Koch brothers will say) directs Trade Minister Ed Fast to invoke the Foreign Extraterritorial Measures Act.

The Canadian government by invoking FEMA shoots a powerful warning shot across the bow of the American economic juggernaut (free trade forever!]. Ed Fast thereby saves Canada and sets up Harper to be defender of our sovereignty and free trade.

Problem: The Americans giggle. The Alaskans giggle and say they are taking their toys and going home until after the fall elections (Canadian) when the environment will hopefully be better: hint, hint. The Koch brothers announce their budget of close to a billion dollar to influence upcoming elections (U.S.) – and quickly downsize their Canadian contributions proportionally based on their potential loss in the tar sands).

The pro-Conservative intellectual crowd – recognizing a potential embarrassment blame Cullen. Cullen yawns. Jennifer Rice giggles and yawns.

Harper, not making waves saving Canadian sovereignty looks elsewhere and tries to save Iraq sovereignty.

And the conservatives ‘anything but genuine democracy’ crowd rallies on.

(P.S. when did the U.S. annex China: the issue is the use of steel made in the U.S. of A. not China made steel).

The most frightening part of all of this: I almost thought I was going to have to compliment Harper in taking a strong Canadian stand in a free trade issue……whew, close call.

“Chinese steel”… I don’t know what this thread is on to now. Where did this “Chinese made steel” part come from anyway?

One of these political newbs made it up out of thin air.
I particularly enjoyed the ‘we gave away the ferry contracts so why not give away everything else too’ bit. I suppose the new multi-billion dollar International Bridge that Canada offered to fully fund should eat the US steel only requirements too?
Nathan stood up for the Ontario steel makers. Waaahhh!
I should hope so. Only a fucking traitor wouldn’t.

The CONSERVATIVES made the ruling.
Christy Clark supported it.
Who in their right mind would support the clause?

Steel yourself but I believe it came from earlier in the thread when Jabber63 posted:

“thank you Nathan for standing up for CHINESE steel makers and not unionized american steelmakers, and don’t kid yourselves it would have been chinese steel and not canadian steel. look at what happened on the johnston street bridge in Victoria, it was delayed because the Chinese Steel they were using was defective so now they are waiting for better Chinese Steel and NOT Canadian steel.”

That was mentioned a lot earlier than this.

I was looking for the context behind “chinese steel”. Why is it even mentioned? lol

The whole thing is so stupid and solveable. They could just specify North American steel and the US makers would probably be cheaper anyway.
Reminds me of years ago when the old BC Tel was kicked out of Point Roberts over a Reaganesque “Americans only” communication policy. BC Tel was 51% American owned back then.

it is mentioned because ppl think if you stopped the Alaska Ferry terminal from using American steel they would use Canadian steel. that is total BS, they would use chinese steel, it is cheaper to buy from the chinese and ship it here then it is to get it from Ontario. look at the Johnson street bridge in Victoria, alot bigger project and what are they using Chinese steel not canadian steel. so don’t kid yourselves Nathan Cullen did not do any of us here in Prince Rupert any favour by standing with the Harper Government on this issue, he might have made it worse, for the editorials in ALaska are calling for the terminal to be shut down altogether

nytimes.com/aponline/2015/01 … .html?_r=0

juneauempire.com/opinion/2015-01 … nce-rupert

vancouversun.com/business/Ed … story.html

Fortunately one must consider the other 34,000,000 people in the country. Perhaps you can vote Lineral? After all Paul Martin’s gov’t was the last to grovel before the Almighty Yanks and hand over Mark Emery.

really the Alaska Ferry reno would have screwed up the other 34 million ppl in Canada by using American steel? didn’t know Prince Rupert was that important to the nation for one building, sarcasm aside Nathan Cullen is a joke for his riding, he is looking to take the leadership of the NDP after the next election when they go back to being 3rd party of the country, he cares more about Ontario then us, and don’t forget the law that the Harper government used does not state you have to use canadian steel to build in canada, it just states you can not impose US buy america rules on projects in canada, the contractor could still have used american steel, chinese steel, canadian steel or any other countries steel. Alaska could not impose the buy America that is all. and if you think it would have been canadian steel think again

cfax1070.com/news/top-storie … ther-delay

they don’t even use canadian steel in Victoria

We get that you despise Nathan Cullen. Pretty obvious when you expect him to do what *no other Canadian politician * would do.
And no one (except YOU) is demanding to use Chinese steel.
If the feds decide N American steel is okay and they’ll pay for it, all will be well and good. If the feds won’t pay then Alaska’s just as fucked as Alberta is at the moment and it won’t get built. Perhaps you should reread your own links and worry that the bean counters in Alaska are as fucked as the idiots at BC Ferries and they’re tossing out feelers to close it all together.
We’re in a world where Tories and Republicans will cut their own throats to save a nickel or spend an extra dollar so long as they get to order someone around. That’s not Cullen or the NDPs fault.

Apparently I was incorrect. The President of the United States did not initiate the crisis by nixing Keystone (see previous post). According to an article posted by Jabber63 it was Ms. Style Without Substance Christy C. who initiated it by whispering sweet nothings in Harper’s ear. Thanks for the correction Jabber63.

“British Columbia’s government took umbrage at this unfriendly disregard for Canadian sovereignty, appealing to the federal government to intervene.”

Read more: vancouversun.com/business/Ed … z3QGjomFru

As for feds paying for the steel: the feds referred to in regards to the ‘Buy American” act are in the U.S…not the feds in Ottawa.

As for Jabber63’s dislike for Cullen….he seems to keep imagining him in all sorts of strange and unusual (dare we say kinky) political positions. I wonder what Freud would say as opposed to what the other Freud would draw.

[quote=“chien22”]
As for Jabber63’s dislike for Cullen….he seems to keep imagining him in all sorts of strange and unusual (dare we say kinky) political positions.[/quote]

Oddly enough I find myself aligned with Jabber63 a bit. I’m not a fan of Cullen and I find myself in the strange position of trying to find a candidate that I despise the least for the 2015 Federal election. I will most likely vote for Cullen only because I think that Mulcair is the best leader.