Olympic Torch Relay Celebration on Feb 1, 2010

same could be said for you not seeing how half or more of the province does. its a huge burden on us when there is a recession. all it really is is a glorified sports event . coulda printed off 30 million flyers and sent them all over the world if we wanted publicity and it woulda been slightly cheaper lol

Hold on here don’t confuse me with an Olympic supporter. But what is done is done you can cry all over your keyboard all you want it will not change a darn thing, and I wouldn’t go down to an event even if I was given free tickets. I am a community supporter though and that is what I see in this event, an opportunity to showcase Prince Rupert to the world, because an event like this publicised to the world the right way will do far more for us then sending His holiness overseas on 10 trade missions would, unless they decide to keep him then it’s a fair trade.

okie dokie lol

Thats cool you have fun showcasing your community if they can see it behind the coke and RBC banners.  You wont be seeing me at the party I have better things to do than watch my hard earned money being pissed away.

We’re here to see the Gold medal Downhill Freestyle event and
–what’s that, Earl? Bailiff?
Yes there it is, live coverage of the bailiff handing the court order to the Chairman of the I.O.C. and we’re cutting over to Mike for live footage of three guys in a tow truck taking down the Whistler-Blackcomb chairlift

I’m excited - I think it will be fun! Its not like I have anything better to do that evening :smile:

My kids are obsessed with the ugly mascots so I really hope they will be here, otherwise I’ll have 2 very disappointed little boys!!

I’m excited that Rupert get’s to take part in this and I’m not even in Rupert right now. Party hard and have fun! And be safe!

Watching the coverage on the tv and internet I have seen a couple of the mascots on the coverage, can’t remember what communities but it would be cool to have them here too. 
  Grammeric-ally speaking “seen” doesn’t sound right, should it have been “saw”? My HTMF needs spell check and grammar check if anyone knows of an upgrade, lol?

Hi everyone,

Just an update on the torch relay.  There has been a slight change of time.  The preshow will now begin at 4:00 pm, and the actual celebration will begin at 4:45 pm, going until 7:00 pm.

Hope to see you there.

We should see if we can have Olympic protesters arrested here like they did in Revelstoke. Haven’t seen the story online yet, but witnesses said the protesters weren’t obstructing anything or anyone. The charge was “obstruction”.

Remember people this is going to be a FAMILY event, beavers, cubs, cadets, dance groups. Mine and your children participating for everyone to watch. I’d hate to see a bunch of naysayers putting up a big stink and ruining that for the kids. I don’t remember hearing of any protesters when the dance festival comes to town or at the ANT, or during Seafest or Winterfest so why should this community celebration be any different.

So much for freedom of speech. Again, what is wrong with a peaceful protest.

I understand the concept of a peaceful protest and far be it for me to tread on anyones god given rights, I’m just saying and I think people keep skipping over this part when they read. THIS IS A COMMUNITY CELEBRATION! The performance groups. the kids, adults, first nation groups, even special events and the city workers are putting allot of effort into this COMMUNITY CELEBRATION so why would anyone want to risk tainting their time in the spotlight by forcing their own agenda into the spotlight, so they can go to bed and dream about how they stuck it to the Olympics and showed the Man who’s boss, while the kids cry themselves to sleep and keep asking Mommy and Daddy why those mean people kept interupting their performance they worked so hard on. Shame on you for even suggesting such a thing.

You keep LYING and saying its not an olympic celebration but it is. You can sugar coat it and say its a ‘community celebration’ to showcase the town but its just propaganda to get people to support the olympics. It should have been apparent to you all long ago that nobody south of prince george knows you exist let alone cares.

Shame on you for suggesting peacefully protesting the ungodly sums of money being spent on this crap instead of schools, hospitals etc is somehow bad for children.

Our children going to be paying for this bullshit until they retire and somehow i dont think a childhood memory of meeting the ugly ass olympic mascots will be any comfort.

Jesus please reread post 20. It still applies, must be dark up there.

Right on about the spending valuable dollars which could care for our children, seniors and communities on a whole. The Olympic Gordo Dog and Pony Show is going to make us look like most of the states. The cost of security alone could cover so many good things for the citizens. I just keep praying for no snow and no show.

Yup I figured as much. Completely ignore my points and carry on with your stupidity. It’s cool someones children will get to meet the mascots great for them. Someone elses children wont be having the surgery they need because olympic athletes come first.

You go celebrate the rape of our province and enjoy yourself.

Fucking moron.

Actually I have to thank you two because you have managed to prevent what I was almost certain would happen. Most of the population is so ambivalent about the Olympics (hence why it is coming to Vancouver) that I was certain Anna was wasting her time with this post and it would die like so many brain cells at a 5th ave party, quickly. But everytime you post a reply to my comments you help me achieve my end goal. To keep this post alive as long as humanly possible to get the exposure for the event. I think you have valid points unfortunately most of the decisions have long since been made and we can do nothing to change that. Yes the Olympics are coming at a bad time but so did the world economic colapse, now people will lose jobs and funding will be cut, but I thank you from the bottom of my heart every time you reply. Thank you my dear friends.

I have almost 50 people who will be there with signs and a silent protest. The only violence anticipated is from authorities (prediction) who will try to remove us.

Why would anyone want to remove you if you are involved in a silent respectful protest? Contrary to popular belief the cops are not bad and out to get you. I’ll see you there, you will be easy to pick out of the crowd if you have a sign.