Old Longshoreman

Can any one tell me the facts of what is suppose to happen when the port starts up. Is it true if you have had a number in the past, but its been unactive for the last 3 years then you are required to take a medical? How about the criminal check? Are they asking for some other test? How will the seniority list be equalized? Will the union take on new members? How many local full time jobs will there be? Lots of BS going around can some one set us straight

you need a physical, if you get that far, the longshorman who have not worked have had there numbers reactivated about 50 of the 200 works their looking for, about 700 resumes were brought in…good luck…

Although I can’t say for sure I would expect that criminal record checks are done on port employee’s now. They treat port security pretty seriously these days.

What is the starting wage for a longshoreman?  Just curious.  I’ve heard rumors around town it’s as high as $30 an hour.

i dont think so mike, im friends with alot of longshore guys, a criminal record check would remove them all, they are all notorious drug addicts none of them could pass a drug or criminal check. something people should keep in mind, i didnt find this out until i had a criminal record done where i work, is that when they do a check they dont get any particulars, they dont find out what crime was, it is a yes or no answer. i have a possesion of marijuana from 1989, when they did the criminal check of course it came back saying “yes, mr. johansen has a criminal record”, usually that would be the end of story…next.
        i was very very lucky my boss really liked my work and asked me about what it was, so i told him. he then asked the cop who delivered the paperwork to him what it was about with me sitting there, the cop explained that it is a yes or no answer, that he himself didnt know what it was for. he also agreed that a criminal record for grass is unfair and what you were smoking twenty years ago shouldnt be able to have the effect it does. i didnt want their to be any bullshit between me and my boss so i told them that i still smoke grass and dont plan to stop, its not something i would ever be doing at work or anywhere but in my bedroom at night and that i felt it was nobody’s business what i do late at night in my room. he and the cop agreed that the laws need to be revised. my boss said the criminal check is to keep child molesters and those type of creeps, that a midnight toker wasnt a concern they cared about, so i got the job, which i have had four and half years now.
    i just want to give young guys a heads up on how even a small grass charge can really come back to haunt you decades later, even if it seems irrelevant to the job you are applying for, the employer will never know what it is, just that there is something.

You should apply for a pardon. There’s an ad running quite regularly in the Snooze. Anyone know how much the pardon costs?

[quote=“Soggy”]
You should apply for a pardon. There’s an ad running quite regularly in the Snooze. Anyone know how much the pardon costs?[/quote]

From the FAQ on the National Parole Board Website.

1. Is there a cost related to the pardon application?

Applicants are now responsible for obtaining a full set of their fingerprints at a cost that will vary from one agency to another. They also have to pay a $25 fee to the RCMP for a certified copy of their criminal record and finally, pardon applicants are required to pay a $50 fee for the NPB to evaluate the merits of a pardon request.

[quote=“ChrisJ”]
i dont think so mike, [/quote]

Well, then I guess you’d be wrong. Not knowing for sure I decided to look for the answer. Security is the field I work in so I just couldn’t believe that post 9/11 there would not be stricter security regulations regarding ports. As it turns out I was correct. After looking around the net a bit I found a number of news articles from 2004 to 2005 concerned about infringing on the rights of employee’s and stuff like that.

Here is one of the articles regarding this:

So naturally from here I went looking for the Marine Facilities Restricted Area Access Clearance Program, which led me to Transport Canada’s site.

And it goes on to say:

[quote]  3. The following background checks are conducted by Transport Canada in cooperation with the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP), the Canadian Security Intelligence Service (CSIS), and Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC):

* a criminal record check;
        * a check of the relevant files of law enforcement agencies, including intelligence gathered for law enforcement purposes;
        * a CSIS indices check, and if necessary, a CSIS security assessment; and,
        * a check of the applicant’s immigration and citizenship status, if applicable.

Transport Canada’s Intelligence Branch, upon receipt of all the information collected, conducts an evaluation.  The recommendation on whether to grant a security clearance is based on a global evaluation of the information obtained from the applicant and from the background checks, as to whether he/she poses a risk to marine security.  Once the evaluation is completed and there are no concerns, Transport Canada grants the security clearance and notifies the appropriate pass control office or enrolment site.[/quote]

oh snap!

seems this guy(ChrisJ)  is wrong about alot of things

it’s amazing how one can pass off an idea as fact

why would there be no criminal check when somebody is working at an international port? 

i hear you can get a job at customs the day you get parole too

u need a crimal record check to apply… the old guys who havent worked for awhile will be grandfathered in…

Well they don’t usually grandfather people when it comes to security passes. Otherwise there really is no point of security at all. After looking through their web page it appears that these regulations aren’t coming into force until this year and that they won’t apply to every marine employee. Here is some further info for those who are interested:

I would hope that Rupert’s port would be in phase one since we are a newly opened port and it’s easier to secure something from the first day than it is after a period of time.

[quote]The MTSCP will apply to persons who work in certain restricted areas, persons performing designated duties, and others, such as marinepilots and seafarer’s who wish to obtain a Seafarer’s Identification Document (SID). These persons will require a security clearance.

Persons who work in certain restricted areas, and persons performing designated duties, at ports will require a clearance. The duties that are being designated have been identified through an examination of the functions at marine facilities and ports, to identify duties that have the control or influence over the movement of goods or people entering or exiting a marine facility or port, within the marine facility or port, or onto or off of a vessel. The concept does not only focus on whether the person is able to commit an overt act against the marine facility or port, but also whether the person is able to commit an omission which could facilitate an act against marine transportation security. In addition, ship’s pilots, wharfingers, and seafarers who apply for a Seafarer’s Identity Document will require a security clearance.[/quote]

There doesn’t seem to be a list of employee’s who require this but longshoremen are mentioned directly in my first post with quotes. It’s entirely possible though that only some longshoremen would have duties that would require the security screening.

hasnt the port always been an international port? i know lots of longshoremen with drug charges, i have no idea what the port’s new criteria is but in the past that wasnt an issue. i said right from the start i didnt “think” so, quite a bit different from stating facts, unlike your bullshit opinions that come from what seems your textbook somewhere. i have actually taken steroids in the past, doctor  monitered. so much for your facts. same with your methadone facts, how is you know so much about it? i am currently a registered methadone patient, so its fairly safe to say i know just a little bit about it maybe huh? you and few others are really the ones offering ideas as facts, you want to know the truth about something ask anyone who’s walking the walk, not someone who’s read an article somewhere. i know i have lots of opinions, and they are not all correct, whats the problem with that? it stimulates conversation and eventually someone who knows will give the facts or someone else will look into it and find the answer, just like mike just did. what is wrong with that, now we all know the answer to the port question and where the info came from, its called learning.i hope that clears up where i got my info on the other issues, it took alot of guts to say it, and i hope you and the other folks dont think shitty of me now, if you didnt already.

Yes, we are an international port.  However, up to now we have mostly (almost exclusively) dealt with exports - coal, grain, logs, and the like.  Now, however, we are going to be importing stuff - ipods, toasters, someone’s apartment contents.  I think this is where the security issue is most relevant.  There is also the notion of being “bonded” - I’m not sure what criteria one has to meet to be eligible to be bonded, but it might be an issue.

so what you are saying is that a doctor gave you steroids to make sure you ddn’t buy them in the gym?  i don’t care what you say, unless your doc was crooked, then it isn’t true.  doctors do not give out anabolics to compete with drug dealers…not legally.  so ya, you got a doc to hook you up with some cypionate or deconate nandroline, what ever way you worked it was not in the interest of your safety.  i have many friends who are doctors, and we have discussed this to know end (as i was trying to get a favour) they simply wouldn’t do it.  that’s it.  so ya, you got lucky.  as for methadone, i didn’t say shit about methadone.  i don’t know fuck all about it, or about heroine addiction, and i haven’t ever pretended too.