Oil Spill Along Waterfront

CFNR is reporting an oil spill and clean up effort onthe waterfront. Any further information from town?

The port authority released a news advisory on Friday. It’s here: rupertport.com/news/releases … t-advisory

It will be interesting if Enbridge jumps on the public interest bandwagon to help mitigate the damage done so as to influence public opinion of the corporation’s plans with the Northern Gateway project.

I noticed that this story finally hit the Northern View website. They sure are slow for getting stories out.

Oil in the harbour is nothing new, and anybody that has spent any time on the water or flying over it will have seen it. From people changing the oil in their boats and draining it right into the water, to oil leaks in the bilge. And meanwhile, there is a deserted pulp mill just down the road that has poisoned the water around it for so many years, and will continue to do so for many more, and it is so bad that you warned not to eat the fish or crab caught near it. But I guess for the new eco types it isn’t fashionable to complain about something so old and boring. If it won’t make headlines, it isn’t worth the effort.

Would have been a great post without trying to fit someone you disagree with into a “type”, crazy horse. Not sure why the need to label.

I agree with you otherwise, though. Oil on this scale isn’t anything new.

Real “conspiracy types” would bring up 9/11 inside jobs, chemtrails and mind control, BTW.

[quote=“MiG”]Would have been a great post without trying to fit someone you disagree with into a “type”, crazy horse. Not sure why the need to label.

I agree with you otherwise, though. Oil on this scale isn’t anything new.

Real “conspiracy types” would bring up 9/11 inside jobs, chemtrails and mind control, BTW.[/quote]

Ok, “conspiracy type” might have been unfair, I retract it. But the comment about Enbridge getting involved and spinning it for their benefit was far fetched at best, and bordered on absurd.

[quote=“MiG”]

Real “conspiracy types” would bring up 9/11 inside jobs, chemtrails and mind control, BTW.[/quote]

Introducing aliens into the mix would make it complete. :smile:

So you think it’s acceptable to be this carefree and irresponsible?

Wow

*Edited because of thumb.

*PS: I think crazy Horse didn’t bother to answer my meticulously edited question.

[quote=“PLA”]

So you think it’s acceptable to this carefree and irresponsible?

Wow[/quote]

Huh?
Rephrase please, I don’t understand your question

[quote=“crazy Horse”]
But the comment about Enbridge getting involved and spinning it for their benefit was far fetched at best, and bordered on absurd.[/quote]

Hmm, by which standard? Enbridge has a large stake in keeping oil spills off the mind of Northerners and BC Residents alike. In the 'Ol Boys club that kind of thing happens, ya know…

[quote=“PLA”]

So you think it’s acceptable to be this carefree and irresponsible?

Wow

*Edited because of thumb.

*PS: I think crazy Horse didn’t bother to answer my meticulously edited question.[/quote]

Haha, no of course not. (acceptable that is).

The Enbridge comment sort of swung the topic a bit so I will take a swing of my own and pose a question.

What if the northern gateway pipeline was built. And over time it was discovered that an underground portion of the line was leaking and getting into the Douglas channel. And the leak was not enough to be really visible, but bad enough that it was harming animals in the ocean. And what if it was decided that it would cost too much to fix it, so we just left it and carried on with life. Would this be acceptable?

Heard the Port spokesperson on radio today. What I understood him to say is that the coolant for electrical transformers has spilled. The transformers are of the “vintage” to contain poly chloro bi-phenols (help me out here you chemistry people) PCB’s that would have been in the oil. He also said rain adds to the problem but they didn’t expect anymore oil to leak out and I’m thinking that’s because there was nothing left to leak out.
So, I’d be happy to hear from a biologist if we have anyone here who isn’t muzzled for fear of losing their job. Were there PCB’s in the oil? If so, what does that do to our harbour? Just like the Enbridge question, does bitumen sink or float; do PCB’s separate from oil and dissipate in water? Who owned old transformers and left them anywhere near the water?
Lastly, the removal of the contaminated soil will be to a safe site, where would that be? And if PCB’s are in the soil, then it wouldn’t be carried off in open trucks, right? And the people driving this material would be informed of the hazards,right? I remember the family in Ontario following the PCB leaking truck on the highway. Answers anyone?

There are all kinds of kids who come down to the waterfront to throw rocks in the water, find sea life on the shore, once in a while make a campfire on the beach. There should be alot more information sharing. Will be inquiring myself in the coming week.

according to the port news release you are to contact Michael Gurney

Manager, Corporate Communications
Prince Rupert Port Authority
Direct: 250 627-2509
Email: mgurney@rupertport.com
if you have any questions or concerns. Give him a call and let us know whats up. I was walking my dog yesterday and saw a large slick of oil along the rotary park area down towards the atlin terminal … I hope the birds that are along there are not affected!

For those concerned…PCB contamination should not be an issue with this minor spill.

thenorthernview.com/news/193654681.html

Was it oil or was it something to do with those hydro things? Could it be PCBs?

^^
See my post above your post - No PCB’s found in spill

Well I would say that this has been milked enough! There has been white suits,hard hats, goggles, booms and trucks to the tune of thousands of dollars for a minor oil spill…can you imagine what would happen if it was a major?YIKES!!! We had a major spill(120,000)thousand liters of diesel fuel spill at Cow Bay,was all over in a couple of days.GET REAL!!!

Are any of the individuals who were caught kept in cells for a while going to be charged or is it another slap on the wrist ?