Oil by rail to Rupert?

cbc has interesting article about this:

cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c … -1.1863916

I think it’s only reasonable - something has to be done the way the protesting is getting in the way of the pipeline!!!

And really - what are the odds of something like what happened in Quebec happening again?

[quote=“mossINmyTOES”]
And really - what are the odds of something like what happened in Quebec happening again?[/quote]

The odds are not zero. Spills, accidents are possible.

nothing new in that oil by rail to rupert has been talked about since last year since CN does not need anybodies permission to do it, no consultations no enviromental review nada zip.

I hate to say it but I’d rather clean up even a whole train of cars spilling oil, than deal with a pipeline that can spew oil constantly, and for hours?

[quote=“hitest”]

[quote=“mossINmyTOES”]
And really - what are the odds of something like what happened in Quebec happening again?[/quote]

The odds are not zero. Spills, accidents are possible.[/quote]

Car accidents, plane crashes and being struck by lightning are possible too. Yet, people roll the dice and leave their homes everyday. Despite this, society moves on. Point being, there’s risk in everything. Loggers die in forestry mishaps. Boats and ships sink. Everything we do, not matter what it is, has an element of risk.

On another note, wouldn’t increased train travel emit more greenhouse gasses? Isn’t a pipeline a more environmentally sound way to transport oil?

And on yet another note, what impact would all of these trains have on the container port? Would increased rail traffic make it difficult for our container port to continue to take advantage of our strategic location? Meaning… Would the time saved coming here rather than to Vancouver or Seattle be eroded by a clogged rail line?

And on yet another note, what impact would all of these trains have on the container port? Would increased rail traffic make it difficult for our container port to continue to take advantage of our strategic location? Meaning… Would the time saved coming here rather than to Vancouver or Seattle be eroded by a clogged rail line?

Just increase the capacity of the rails - twin the tracks - or triple if necessary. I’m thinking the volumes are handled in other ports.

And I often drive from here to Terrace and back and see no trains on the tracks so there has to be some way to work on scheduling the traffic.

Oil by rail is much better idea and shipping from Prince Rupert intead of Kitimat is another good idea. I hope this happens to be honest…it would be amazing for the local economy.

Of course the idea of oil tankers in our harbour is quite different than coal/grain/container ships…but BC needs this investment I think.

[quote=“bthedog”]Oil by rail is much better idea and shipping from Prince Rupert intead of Kitimat is another good idea. I hope this happens to be honest…it would be amazing for the local economy.

Of course the idea of oil tankers in our harbour is quite different than coal/grain/container ships…but BC needs this investment I think.[/quote]

Agreed

Oil by rail was always thought/ said to be a better idea than any pipeline … As said earlier I would rather deal with a derailment of tank cars than a pipe line break. Yes life is dangerous no matter what we do, but a pipeline with tankers out of Kitimat is worst thing that could happen.

Kitimat is just not ideal…Enrbidge had terrible planning right from the get go by establishing Kitimat as the port for their terminal…just incredibly stupid.

Narrow channel vs open water? Kind of a no brainer which would be an easier sell considering the commodity being shipped is CRUDE OIL.

The feds backup plan I think has ALWAYS been OBR and to PR not Kitimat.

how coincidental.

[theglobeandmail.com/news/nat ... e14515904/](http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/train-accident-in-saskatchewan-leaks-crude-oil-sparks-fire/article14515904/)

What are the Odds of something happening ? Well I just read about a derailment in Sask. which just happened this morning and there are at least 15 cars which have different chemicals and oil spilling from some cars . But very unlikely that there could be anything happening .