Ogg DirectShow Filter?

An icon that says Ogg DirectShow Filter has been showing up on my taskbar lately whenever things start to freeze, hang, and just generally stop working. I don’t remember ever downloading anything for Ogg, as I’m happy with using mp3’s. Is this some sort of adware or something? I’ve scanned the crap outta my system and it can’t find anything out of the ordinary.

Any ideas?

start/run msconfig

and see if it shows up in there. disable any startup items you don’t recognize.

Well this Ogg thing is a big pain in the ass. It still shows up, despite my efforts to find it anywhere on this machine. The icon only shows up after a program hangs or freezes, and only disappears after a program shuts down after it has stopped responding. It’s never the same program everytime that has problems, except that explorer is the most frequent one that stops responding and shuts down.

I’ve scanned this with every adware, malware, spyware program I have, searched for ogg programs and looked it up on google and haven’t found a thing. What the heck is going on?

I know this machine is in dire need of a format, but I have to buy a new drive first… I think 3 years on a 40Gb maxtor as a main drive is just asking for a crash.

Have you searched through the registry for anything having to do with Ogg?

Unless that’s what msconfig does… I have no idea how to do that.

The registry is a dangerous place to be unless you know what you are doing - so if you have never had a look at the registry you want to tread carefully.

In W2K or XP the command is regedt32 (start, run, regedt32)

In Win95, 98 the command is regedit

Once in the registry you can search for the string ogg from View, Find

Just searching for the string won’t damage anything but might give you a clue as to what might be associated with ogg directshow.

Another question - have you ever downloaded the Ogg codec and installed it for Windows Media Player of anything like that?

Sorry slight mistake in my previous post. Once in the registry you search from Edit, Find (not View, Find).

There’s a .OGG folder under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT.

That’s the only ogg it found.

I might have downloaded an ogg codec a long time ago… definately hasn’t been anything lately… which is why I thought it was adware or spyware.

[quote=“smartass”]There’s a .OGG folder under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT.

That’s the only ogg it found.

I might have downloaded an ogg codec a long time ago… definately hasn’t been anything lately… which is why I thought it was adware or spyware.[/quote]

In that key for .OGG is there anything listed for a subkey “openwithlist”? That would show the program associated with Ogg. If that program is something strange you could search for and delete that program. If it is something normal like Windows Media Player, you can just delete the entire .OGG key and that will stop the association. Then when your computer tries to open/run any Ogg file you should get some sort of error message - and that might help you find the culprit behind all this.

I also did some searching for viruses that may give this sort of behavior and there are a few that create files with Ogg in the file name. These viruses typically come from file sharing like Kazaa. I don’t know what virus scanner you are using but perhaps you want to do some alternate scanning using a different virus program and see if that turns up anything as well.