Offshore oil and gas

We can’t envision for the future if it can’t be fixed.

Or if you prefer,

The arid torpor of inaction will be our demise.

[quote=“Optimus Prime”]

[quote=“Bob Loblaw”]Against!

From what I have learned, there may or may not be enough oil to make the project viable. Regardless, even if it did go there wouldn’t be enough economic impact here.

And also, considering the impact of fossil fuels on the environment and considering, too, what China will be soon adding with their share which will be equivalent to what we are churning out here in the west, isn’t it time we started looking at other forms of energy?[/quote]

It’s obvious your an NDP’er.

Other forms of energy…bla bla bla
Lets get a shitload of windmills! it’ll be rad! bla bla bla
We’ll all use solar powered cars! bla bla bla

Anyways I’m sure you’ve gotten my point by now, I doubt many people care about the whole “other forms of energy” idea. It’s ridiculous considering half of the ideas people come up with are complete jokes.[/quote]

True Dat!!

[quote=“orangetang”]So hydroelectric, geothermal, wind and solar energies are a joke? Piss off! My house in Winfield is powered by electricity produced by hydro dams in BC and heated by thermal energy inthe ground. Who here rather power their house or vehicle by fossil fuels instead of solar electric energy?

I sure as fuck wouldn’t.

Mind you, I do have a 5.0L gasoline running engine in my car. If I had the opportunity to replace that powerplant with a hybrid or electric one, why wouldn’t I want to switch?[/quote]

Sure… we could use these alternate energy sources, but, right now, we have a big energy source in our harbour. Nontheless, we have to be sure to cover all of our bases, and that would mean, on top of oil and gas, alternate energy sources.

Still, for all those that are being treehuggers and pooing their pants about global warming, do you that the exact same things we hear today about global warming, have been said since the 70’s, and so far, nothing has happened. I’m confident that if anything catastrophic was to happen, we would be fine. ie. The Day After Tomorrow.
its true… im dumb

I only wanted to do the right thing… I mean if everyone really thinks that we should just leave the resources there and strut about with our chins out in moral self righteousness while everyone else depletes their reserves we can do so.
At least there’s no billion dollar town and rail line to go tits up with a wasted resource like Tumbler Ridge.
Let’s stick to something more sensible. There’s this hollowed mountain in Kitimat. It was even designed to be A bomb proof. What a perfect place to fire up a couple hundred Candu reactors and make power. There’s even ootsa lake nearby we could crack when demand is low and generate Hydrogen for our new cars. A couple of really tall stacks to funnel ozone into the stratosphere and fix the damage there.
And if it went Chernobyl who cares? No one likes Kitimat anyway…

[quote=“brian_177”]
True Dat!![/quote]

I could reply to this by saying that you guys are obviously pseudo-liberals/reforms/socreds/ but it would just, as Scrub said, lower the discussion to a level below the oil patch itself. So I will not say that but I will however add that when you guys can think for yourself instead of being influenced by the neo-conservative agenda, maybe you will not bring this kind of comment to this discussion. Unless of course you want us to become like the US where political affiliation becomes a constant dividing factor among people on every issue.

Now, as for the oil, I am worried about it but not completely sold against it. Ecological costs for other sources of energy also have to be calculated against getting oil. Gasoline engines are becoming more efficient and less polluting. But yes, China going vroom, vroom, worries me too. Our constant growing need for vehicles is also something to watch.
This is not an easy topic for me.

BigThumb,
I’m curious. It is an obvious fact that an uninfluenced oppinion, is an uneducated opinion. Whether or no your oppinion was influenced by politics or not, you were influenced in some way. IF you want to stick to your guns and say that you thought your oppinion up all by yourself, then whatever, but its hard to believe that your friends, family, the news, your religion, some hobo on the street, had no role to play. As I said above, an uninfluenced oppinion is an uneducated oppinion. Even if that oppinion is, in fact, wrong, at least you would have a basis for your wrongness.

How this all has anything to do with oil and gas, it doesn’t. I’m just showing people that there is nothing wrong in admitting that you were influenced by something/someone else.

[quote=“brian_177”]BigThumb,
I’m curious. It is an obvious fact that an uninfluenced oppinion, is an uneducated opinion. Whether or no your oppinion was influenced by politics or not, you were influenced in some way. IF you want to stick to your guns and say that you thought your oppinion up all by yourself, then whatever, but its hard to believe that your friends, family, the news, your religion, some hobo on the street, had no role to play. As I said above, an uninfluenced oppinion is an uneducated oppinion. Even if that oppinion is, in fact, wrong, at least you would have a basis for your wrongness.

How this all has anything to do with oil and gas, it doesn’t. I’m just showing people that there is nothing wrong in admitting that you were influenced by something/someone else.[/quote]

What?

exactly.

what a dope straw man

come on now.

look you motherfuckers

put yourself where in a position where you
re not being happy ormaking money without fucking the environment

you will reap the benefits

there is nowhere to go but up. believe it.

umm, no, an un-influenced opinion refoers to the idea that one has not been overly taken by one side of an idea. they did not have a predated bias for either of the ideas and after looking at both sides they have formed their own opinion. an influenced opinion is one where someone has a bias due to not taking information evenly from both sides. you’re refering to an un-informed opinion. thats something different. un-influenced refers more to an unbiased opinion. yours is a very definately biased opinion. an yeah, no-ones opinion is going to be completely nuetral, but we can strive to come as close to that point as possible.

as for oil an gas, i figure we should be trying to pull away from it as soon as possible. burning fossil fules is obviously bad. without taking into account global warming, there are a huge number of arguments against their use which people forget. look at all the smog alerts they have in big cities. those are definately not healthy an are very clearly caused by humans. the pollution from the use of fossil fueles is great, and i agree with the person who earlier posted that we should hold off on the reposits off our coast until they would be used entirely for things such as plastics. as for energy sitting off our coast, you could generate far more energy with wind farms and tidal power plants. the reason these are less proposed is that they are not as widely accepted means of producing power. we must encourage these means in order for them to become more accepted. they are a very viable source of power. and yes we don’t have the technology to produce an effective replacement to the automobile, yet. keyword is yet. as for global warming, it is happening changes have been recorded, what the effect and cause of these changes are not yet fully understood, but i really doubt that we are helping the matter by spewing tons of pollution into the air.

Haha what a dork.

I love how often people want to say that global warming will be the death of us all and that we have to stop polluting. It’s often, in my experience, the same people that pushed as hard as they could to get the pulp mill running. Does anyone remember the smell when you drove by, that smell wasn’t an experimental perfume… it was pollution. Yet, for some reason, people still want to poo-poo the idea of offshore oil and gas because of pollution. The real truth is, we won’t know what is going to happen until we try.

Don’t generalize. What people? Who in particular? Don’t lump everybody that doesn’t agree with you into the same pile. It doesn’t do anything for your cause other than to make you seem uninformed.

You are correct on one point, though. We often want others to do as we say, not as we do. To deny China (and Brasil and the rest), the same opportunities that the West has had is one example of this.

Again, I don’t believe there’s any real oil and gas out there. If there is, it won’t be attractive at current prices. As prices for fossil fuels rise, then other sources become much more attractive.

i dont mean to generalize. It was suggested earlier that we keep politics out of it. And that would include use of phrases like redneck, right-wing, and left-wing. By people, i mean anyone who falls into the things I’m saying.

If I go, I wanna go like Chris Farley. Surrounded by cocaine and whores.

Heh, you call that a powerplant?