Offshore oil and gas

with the economic problem in rupert, is there anyone against offshore oil and gas?

I don’t really have an opinion, other than there’s probably not any significant amount of economically-viable oil or gas out there. Talk to a geologist about it.

there is lots of oil out there but for some reason there is always another person acting as a hurtle for the offshore oil and gas association to jump over…

i say we sit on it until we stop burning the shit for fuel.

and quite frankly, the way you posted your question seems to completely validate my concern that the people interested in offshore oil and gas are into it for the money.

which, obviously, development is usually never fueled by altruism, but at the same time i’m worried about the fact that people who are pressing for it the hardest are in the seat to be gaining the most, and perhaps thats led them to be a bit blind in terms of how the loc’s are going to be affected long-term.

but i’m a bit of an anti-petroleum hippie, so, thats just my 2 cents.

It’s called politics and rights. (what is a hurtle?)

I (heart) Cooper

I really dont know why im posting this but Right on anyways

Gigity Gigity?

[quote=“Alpine Scrub”]and quite frankly, the way you posted your question seems to completely validate my concern that the people interested in offshore oil and gas are into it for the money.

which, obviously, development is usually never fueled by altruism, but at the same time i’m worried about the fact that people who are pressing for it the hardest are in the seat to be gaining the most, and perhaps thats led them to be a bit blind in terms of how the loc’s are going to be affected long-term.

but i’m a bit of an anti-petroleum hippie, so, thats just my 2 cents.[/quote]

Your probably right, people who are pressing for it the hardest are in the seat to be gaining the most, but for us to “sit on it until we stop burning the shit for fuel” is pretty much waiting until it stops making money. Without the monetary factor than there is no economic upside.

As an example, I’ll use the mill. If Dan Venier (i know its all overwith now, but bear with me) was to wait until pulp was no longer needed to make paper, than why would he do it at all?

But your two cents definately shows some of the truth of the matter.

Did your daddy ask you to post here to get the opinions of the town?

Ya let’s hope is he is getting paid to put so much thought into his Daddy’s work.

[quote=“brian_177”]Your probably right, people who are pressing for it the hardest are in the seat to be gaining the most, but for us to “sit on it until we stop burning the shit for fuel” is pretty much waiting until it stops making money. Without the monetary factor than there is no economic upside.
[/quote]

thanks for being cool about what couldve been taken as a bitchy personal attack.

I think petroleum products will continue to garner a huge price, plastics is where its at. and learning to recycle them.

I plan to contribute to society by rocking non-stop.

… and by posting on HTMF 4044 times.

Looks like he’s already done that much.

Im sure you could double it for him.

I want to do the environmentally correct thing. Take all that oil and gas from our dangerously unstable seabed and store it safely in huge tanks on land. Close to a pipeline, just in case the tanks get leaky.
And we should clean up all those nasty methane crystal things off the seabed too. THey’re like farts in jars waiting to go off and sink some poor fishing boat. We’d be doing everyone a favor!

Against!

From what I have learned, there may or may not be enough oil to make the project viable. Regardless, even if it did go there wouldn’t be enough economic impact here.

And also, considering the impact of fossil fuels on the environment and considering, too, what China will be soon adding with their share which will be equivalent to what we are churning out here in the west, isn’t it time we started looking at other forms of energy?

[quote=“Bob Loblaw”]Against!

From what I have learned, there may or may not be enough oil to make the project viable. Regardless, even if it did go there wouldn’t be enough economic impact here.

And also, considering the impact of fossil fuels on the environment and considering, too, what China will be soon adding with their share which will be equivalent to what we are churning out here in the west, isn’t it time we started looking at other forms of energy?[/quote]

It’s obvious your an NDP’er.

Other forms of energy…bla bla bla
Lets get a shitload of windmills! it’ll be rad! bla bla bla
We’ll all use solar powered cars! bla bla bla

Anyways I’m sure you’ve gotten my point by now, I doubt many people care about the whole “other forms of energy” idea. It’s ridiculous considering half of the ideas people come up with are complete jokes.

So hydroelectric, geothermal, wind and solar energies are a joke? Piss off! My house in Winfield is powered by electricity produced by hydro dams in BC and heated by thermal energy inthe ground. Who here rather power their house or vehicle by fossil fuels instead of solar electric energy?

I sure as fuck wouldn’t.

Mind you, I do have a 5.0L gasoline running engine in my car. If I had the opportunity to replace that powerplant with a hybrid or electric one, why wouldn’t I want to switch?

what the fuck does dragging political orientation into this discussion add ? you are lowering the level of discourse, and while i totally agree w/ what orangetang said, i TRULY FUCKING BELIEVE that we (as in, forward thinking, intelligent people) should just ignore your kind of backwards thinking, pessimistic, cynical jackass opinions. (or launch diatribes against your weak ass, defeatist bullshit opinions…).

honestly.

who the fuck is going to fix the fucked up situation that the earth is in. or do you believe its not as effed as people think it is??

throw your hands up, nothing we can do about it i guess…moron.