Obama projected to win in Iowa

Nah just commenting on the degradation of public speaking and my first viewing of the Democratic frontrunners…
If I wanted to vent, I’d go on about what a perversion it is to get to choose between “presented by Exxon” or “presented by Chevron” and call it democracy.

DIXVILLE NOTCH, New Hampshire (CNN) – Voters in two New Hampshire hamlets cast their ballots Tuesday just after midnight in the state’s first-in-the-nation presidential primary, hours before the rest of the state’s polling places open.
The first ballots were cast in Dixville Notch, a hamlet of about 75 near the Canadian border.
People there favored Sen. John McCain in the Republican primary – he got four votes – and Sen. Barack Obama in the Democratic contest, who won seven votes.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/01/08/nh.main/index.html

Stay tuned tonight as all the votes are counted.  It’ll be interesting to see if Obama can win twice.  If McCain wins that may shake-up the GOP race. :smile:

Sure seems like the Clinton campaign is in a bit of a meltdown the last few days in New Hampshire anyways, Hillary getting all wistful yesterday at a Q and A session (CNN and Fox replaying that the most) and Big Bill getting all old man like today about Obama, full of his indignation that Obama has (in his opinion) been given a free ride…

yikes… thicker skins, thicker skins…

Anyways, even if Obama wins in NH, there are still a few more key primaries to come before the Clinton side needs to go all thermo nuclear… though losing two in a row doesn’t exactly set the right tone, but it’s how you handle the setbacks…

What’s up with Edwards, he’s not been quite as visibile in NH as elsewhere… but then his movement comes up in a few weeks when he battles it out with Obama for some of the southern states votes,

It’s all but over for Richardson who is probably trying to figure out which one might want a VP candidate…

As for the Republicans, I’m hoping McCain wins NH, if only to give Romney something to think about,  Man there’s not much to choose from in the Republicans really, Rudy isn’t even running in NH it seems, instead trolling for votes in Florida (call Jeb he can probably find a few chads to swing your way Rudy), Huckabee kind of shot himself in the foot at the debate, though he does handle hecklers nicely, Chuck Norris for Secretary of Defense!, Huckabee is different that’s for sure, a leftie Republican who is at home in the Christian right, my head spins just thinking about it all.

Ron Paul can’t get on Fox, but he can get on Leno, then again right now Leno is so desperate for guests he’d probably book Satan if he was willing to travel…

Not sure what ole Fred Dalton is up to, short of wondering how to get Jack McCoy out of the office back at Law and Order.

Should be an interesting night, I’m starting to like MSNBC’s coverage, especially when Olbermann is on, even more so when he’s taking those delightful shots at Bill O’Reilly over at Fox, great television all in all…

Interesting.  CNN is projecting that Clinton will win NH.

MANCHESTER, New Hampshire (CNN) – Sen. Hillary Clinton has won New Hampshire’s Democratic primary, CNN projects.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/01/08/nh.main/index.html

Close but sure better than the way the pundits were telling it earlier this afternoon.

I tuned into CNN and MSNBC earlier this afternoon and they were all talk about how the Clinton staffers were looking for parachutes, how Bill had shown his angry side damaging his wife, how Hillary was ready for the scrap pile…

Guess they forgot to let the voters actually go and vote.

This is good for the Democrats, whichever of their candidates should eventually win.

They now will narrow the field a bit, and we’ll get more of where they stand on the many issues that the US has to face shortly.

Though I’m not sure even if I won the nomination that I’d want to be President come January 2009, this is going to be a rough year for the US economy and with two wars (maybe three if the Iranians keep pointing there speedboats in the wrong direction) being President sure will come with a bag full of sharp rusty nails.

At any rate, good that Obama wasn’t given a coronation today (still not sure how the heck you come to that decision based on three small state votes, but it’s their country) the longer both he, Clinton and Edwards are out there spreading their messages the more and more different they’ll seem from the Republicans.

McCain coming back to life is good too, he and Romney are going to have a nasty little period of time in Michigan and South Carolina, all leading up to Super Tuesday the first Tuesday of February, that’s when we’ll see who really is a front runner for both the Republicans and Democrats…

msnbc.msn.com/id/22564014/

:sunglasses:   

Agreed.  I don’t particularly like any of the GOP candidates, but, McCain seems to be less of a snake-oil salesman than Romney ( maybe he’s a better actor).  Romney really looks like a white collar full-of-shit Captain of industry (he’s being himself). :smile:

I think that McCain would be a good candidate for the GOP and spell bad news for the Democrats; he would be tough to beat.  Huckabee or Romney would be better opponents for the Democrats in my opinion.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – John McCain’s victory in Tuesday’s New Hampshire primary appears to be paying off.

Sen. John McCain wins 34 percent of registered Republicans in a CNN/Opinion Research Corp. poll.

The senator from Arizona is the front-runner in the battle for the Republican presidential nomination, according to the first national poll taken after the New Hampshire primary.

McCain has the support of 34 percent of registered Republicans in a CNN/Opinion Research Corp. survey out Friday. That’s a 21-point jump from the last CNN/Opinion Research poll, taken in December, well before the Iowa caucuses and New Hampshire primary earlier this month.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/01/11/2008.poll/index.html

GOP Fred Thompson could walk into a job on the set of Law & Order in 15 seconds. I thought he was one of the guys who played a DA on there when I saw him the first time.

Yeah, he was one of the admirals in “Hunt for Red October” as well.

He was also in “Die Hard 2” – imdb.com/name/nm0000669/

OMG I didn’t realize he really WAS !!!
I guess Hillary should be grateful Martin Sheen didn’t run.

The pundits are saying that SC is a must win for Obama to even things up with Clinton.  The polls closed 30 minutes ago.  Stay tuned.

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/

Edit:  added later.  Obama wins.

The man sure knows how to give a speech, that was a very powerful bit of oratory that he delivered upon his victory.

Compared to the autotrons that the Republicans can offer up, they’re not even close when it comes to spreading their word.

It will be interesting now to see how the Clinton campaign tries to counter the momentum that Obama takes out of South Carolina, Super Tuesday is going to be a pretty great night for political junkies… :smiley:   

Oh yeah!  February 5th will be exciting indeed.  I’m looking forward to that. :smiley:

I’m on the edge of my mothergrabbin’ seat through all of this. Tonight has been really interesting. I might have to throw a Super Tuesday party.

Did herbie’s teenage daughter get a hold of his account?

I think Obama may be gaining some traction as a result of his win in SC yesterday.  I heard on CBC today that political heavy weight Ted Kennedy is set to give his endorsement of Obama tomorrow.

http://www.boston.com/news/politics/politicalintelligence/2008/01/ted_kennedy_end.html

Ted Kennedy still alive!! holly shit i thought he drank him self to death… :astonished:

Well I’m sure he appreciates Mr. Kennedy’s support, but he’s probably happier about the endorsement in the NY times on Sunday by Caroline Kennedy, JFK’s daughter…

nytimes.com/2008/01/27/opini … ei=5087%0A

But you’re right, the Democratic establishment may beginning to move in the direction of Obama, perhaps a little put off by Mr. Clinton’s recent rants on behalf of his wife, which haven’t been particularly helpful to her cause.

nytimes.com/2008/01/28/us/28 … ref=slogin

However, never underestimate the Clinton’s will to battle it out, Super Tuesday is going to be the key date, expect a non stop run until then, many of the pundits suggest that Hillary has a good chance to pull far ahead on that day, which would slow down this Obama-mania.

all in all a highly entertaining bit of political theatre…

Agreed.  The slug-fest between Obama and Clinton is far from over.  Clinton is a very shrewd politician and she will not give up willingly. 
High entertainment indeed. :smile:

They’re all pieces of crap, both parties are exactly the same.  You have two choices when it comes to American politicians, douchebag or a**hole. 
Personally the only one to gain my respect was Ron Paul, too bad he didn’t get anywhere.
Things aren’t going to change no matter who’s in the White House., anyone who does is deluding themselves.
Lewis Black said it right when he said “Republicans are a party of bad ideas, and the Democrats are a party of no ideas.”