Now we know the rest of the story

Some letter posted in the daily news tonight.You know, the other side of the “No Frills” Extra foods Saga. Not a lot of good news floating around out their.

Care to elaborate as I didn’t get the paper tonite, as USUAL  :imp:

I’ll transcribe it. Any bold or underlining is as it appears in the paper. The following ran as a full page (Page 17) advert in today’s paper:

A Message to Our Valued Customers of Extra Foods

We owned the Extra Foods store here in Prince Rupert. The store has closed. There have been a lot of rumours and misleading information about what happened and we want to tell our customers why we closed and correct the wrong information.

The store lost money for a long time. Our wholesale supplier supported us but the losses could not go on forever. We had one last chance to fix the problem or the store would close. We thought if we converted the store to a No Frills concept we could be successful and continue the business. No Frills is a concept which has been successful in Western Canada and gave losing stores an opportunity to become profitable and continue in business. No Frills could have saved all our jobs and offered our customers a better choice for shopping at competitive prices.

We have 2 different Locals of the same union (UFCW) that represented our employees. We presented the offer to the meat/deli employees represented by UFCW Local 247 and the union voted our offer and the employees unanimously accepted the terms of conversion. Then, we took the same offer to a different Local of the same union, Local 1518, and this Local rejected our proposal and would not let the employees vote on the offer. We tried very hard to force a vote but in the end Local 1518 won and the employee vote never took place. We were left with no options and the store closed. During this time Local 1518 was telling our employees the store would not close. But it did close.

After we gave notice of the store closing we found out that Local 1518 thought our lease expired in 3-4 years and as a result we would not close. In fact, they were wrong as the lease expires in year 2010. Once Local 1518 found out they made this terrible mistake, it did not reveal this to its members or try to have the vote save the store. Had they voted in favour of the No Frills deal it would have guaranteed all the employees a job and they would have gotten a lump sum conversion premium if they stayed or not. In addition, had they voted in favour of the No Frills deal at the time it was presented in November 2009, it would have resulted in more than 2/3 of employees receiving and increase in pay. The problem is this local of UFCW, unlike many other locals of UFCW in Canada, would not support the No Frills conversion and the collective agreement in any store. Thus, the store employees have lost their jobs.

No doubt the union will have their version of events. But they cannot deny they would not allow their Prince Rupert members to decide their future for themselves and as a result the store is closed. The union representative got back on a plane to Vancouver and went to his next assignment. We live in the community and we must live with the consequences. We liked our business and the employees. But, that was not enough to convince Local 1518 that its members should decide their own future. We will likely have to leave Prince Rupert to find work.

Thank you for shopping at Extra Foods.

Mr and Mrs. D’Arcy Koch

That is too bad,  I have seen unions do that too many time in my differnt careers.  A real shame for those employees.

The owners seem to have tried there best as well. I would not want to see my business go down like that.

too bad for the employees yes but obviously it wasnt doing well. a town this size we dont need that many grocery stores

You would think the union members would have learned after they saw what the unions did to the mill.

You’d think that but of course they don’t learn and they won’t learn either.  Unions have become more concerned about their own survival and well being over the workers they are supposed to represent.

Unions are supposed to protect workers and their jobs but actions like this only hurt them and the communities in which they live.  Prince Rupert loses another good business, more people are out of jobs, and they were right, the Union representative goes on to his next assignment.

I’m not saying unions are a completely bad thing, but Wal-Mart seems to be doing pretty good for itself without its workers having one.

Everytime I went in for grub I got a front row show to people stealing from there, and honestly, most of the peeps I saw doing it were native teens, and ussually girls, since they seemed immune to the “put your bag behind the counter” bit that all males seemingly had to do.

It made me sick to think that all us honest folk were in effect paying for these punks to drink energy drinks and wear to much make up.

From my understanding, the dollar store in their first year had 6 digit losses from theft, and Extra was even worse, something like million dollar range.

I have second hand info that a small industry was formed by some that stole stuff and sold it to a couple of local restuarants. Big blocks of cheese to pizza joints, meats for others, so on and so on…oh ya, the buyers knew exactly where and how it was gotten.

As for the union reasoning, I dont know enough, but this I can work out on my own…

All the people who stole from there, all the people who watched people steal from there and did nothing, all the businesses that profited from stolen food from there. My gist of it, is that with a big box store, it would have lowered losses, becuase its harder to steal 50 pounds of cheese than 1 pound.

As for the people who worked there, I miss them, they are great people, and my day is poorer without that smile across the counter.

[quote=“loneblackbear”]I have second hand info that a small industry was formed by some that stole stuff and sold it to a couple of local restuarants. Big blocks of cheese to pizza joints, meats for others, so on and so on…oh ya, the buyers knew exactly where and how it was gotten.

snip

All the people who stole from there, all the people who watched people steal from there and did nothing, all the businesses that profited from stolen food from there. My gist of it, is that with a big box store, it would have lowered losses, becuase its harder to steal 50 pounds of cheese than 1 pound.[/quote]

[size=9][/size]

[quote=“WhatToDoNow?”]
I’m not saying unions are a completely bad thing, but Wal-Mart seems to be doing pretty good for itself without its workers having one.[/quote]

You said unions are supposed to protect workers and improve things for them.  Then you say that Wal-Mart is doing pretty good for itself without a union.

Well duh.

If they had a union, then perhaps the workers would be doing pretty good for themselves as well.

So your one of those people to just watch a crime happen? Hmm! And seems to me your one to start a rumor, LIKE I ALWAYS SAY if you dont know for a fact then dont say anything at all, cos u end up looking like an ass.

When I said Wal-Mart, I meant all of its employees, from the CEO to the door greeters, but I’m pretty sure you knew I meant that. 

Anyway, if a multi-billion dollar chain store corporation which employs over a million workers is doing so well without its workers being unionized and the workers being treated relatively well, the question is, are unions of today archaic institutions that have outlasted their usefulness?

[quote=“WhatToDoNow?”]and the workers being treated relatively well…
[/quote]

Well, this is where we disagree.

Relative to what?

To tombstone dirt!

They dont call it prince rumors for nothing, and I didnt just sit here and make everything up, I spent months putting everything together before coming to a conclusion. Following tire tracks, interviewing a couple hundred people, staking out houses, apartments,and dumpsters, and you know what?

If its riding a different, painted black, stickerless bike every other day, here the night before almost every bike was stolen, fingered in numerous bike thefts by parents, telling people he is finding bikes under bridges and not turning them into the police, then guess what…he’s a duck. or a bike thief. or an ass.

and I didnt just sit there watching people steal from E or anywhere, I talked to management about the holes in their security, but I didnt know any names at the time, now I do know some names, like s and e, and i, and j or JP as some call him, and what I do know of JP is he rolled on S and E when I cuaght JP on one of my bikes, and in checking out those two I had one name come up repeated, and without me saying jack sheesh… give you Pi guesses who…

so, in conclusion, with enough research, rumor can become fact.

3 stores isn’t that much, you have one on the east end right when you enter the down town area, and one on the west end, those are great for when you want to get down town and get groceries and head back home.

as for Extra foods, it was good too because if you had to go to the mall to pick anything up it was right there you didn’t have to leave to get what you needed, on the other hand do we really need all of the liquor stores to be so convenient? lol.

also for this post:

I shopped there from time to time, and they always had good prices, now they never went up, blocks of cheese never raised in price, nor did any of the meats, and they obviously lost money, so how were you, the not so honest person paying for their energy drinks and make up?

They had people putting stock on the shelves all the time, customer service right by the entrance, and what? five tills blocking the exit? was it really that hard to lean over and tell a worker that the lady in the (what ever the kids were wearing) had stolen something?

and you say you had all this information about a…small industry that formed and sold their stolen goods to local business’, yet again you did nothing, you seem to have held on to a lot of information over the years, I guess it makes it alright if you just blame the natives huh.

perhaps I should buy a satchel/man purse and steal blocks of cheese, if I ever see you I know you won’t turn me in you’ll just wait until the store closes and then tell the whole town how you saw me take it :smile:

very terrible.  anyway… it’s closed and the owners of the store were nice enough to provide us with an explanation. 

its sad to see another boarded up set of windows in this town,  everyone knows we have enough of them. 

I just got off a very long night shift and haven’t slept in over 18 hours so if that seemed harsh at all i’m sorry. 

I started reading this thread because I thought it had something to do with Paul Harvey… man I miss those days…

The one thing I am going to miss most, people may not have been aware of is the Presidents Choice Children’s Charity. In our community alone they had donated a lot to disabled children and families with disabled kids. I remember seeing the 2 brand new wheel chair accessible vans showing up all made possible by that charity. So many charities these days you drop our dollars into and never see anything happen locally. Anyways to all the former employees and the owners good luck in the future! And to the union, GG!

I like the part about charities and the fact that we are seeing some of our efforts staying or being applied to our own community. That is very nice to see and hear. I always found the staff very friendly and user friendly when looking for something but I found Darcy was hot and cold in his manner. This I believe may have caused some people to shy away from dealing with him.

having three in the downtown core sure great for convenience but they arent that far apart lol