Northern Gateway

I’m starting a new thread instead of going back.

Its just been anounced that BC has rejected the Northern Gateway project. What do y’all think about this? Do you think the Federal government will go over our provincial government or is it dead?

I would bet that the concerns listed end up being satisfactorily addressed and the project ends up bing pushed through at some point. Oil will be sold to Asian markets its whether or not its shipped through a pipeline to our coast or not. Oil tankers will sail the Pacific, from where they launch I don’t know.

I am pleased with our provincial governments willingness to listen to the arguments and make a fair and educated judgement rather than just saying no at the outset, like others have done. Critical thinking at its best.

[quote=“Gracies Mom”]I’m starting a new thread instead of going back.

Its just been anounced that BC has rejected the Northern Gateway project. What do y’all think about this? Do you think the Federal government will go over our provincial government or is it dead?[/quote]

Here’s a CBC story for details. < cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c … ml?cmp=rss >

It’s dead. The feds can’t force BC to give land access for the pipeline right-of-way, approve highway crossings and so on. Without provincial cooperation there are too many practical difficulties.

[quote=“Crazy Train”]
I am pleased with our provincial governments willingness to listen to the arguments and make a fair and educated judgement rather than just saying no at the outset, like others have done. Critical thinking at its best.[/quote]

Ditto

Anyone else reject the pipeline = bad.

BC Liberals reject the pipeline, for the exact same reasons everyone else was rejecting it = good.

Got it.

And people were worried about the Liberals screwing the province…

They’ve now solidified their place within the B.C. residents hearts for another 4 years.

Crack the champagne!

[quote=“MiG”]Anyone else reject the pipeline = bad.

BC Liberals reject the pipeline, for the exact same reasons everyone else was rejecting it = good.

Got it.[/quote]

Not quite. Everyone else just said “NO”

Clark said “Yes, if certain conditions are met.” Apparently they weren’t.

[quote=“crazy Horse”]

Got it.[/quote]

Not quite. Everyone else just said “NO”

Clark said “Yes, if certain conditions are met.” Apparently they weren’t.[/quote]

Excellent correction, Crazyhorse. A lot of people jumped to “No” AND “yes” right from the get go, when the fair thing to do was to first consider and weigh all of the evidence.

Got it.[/quote]

Are they the exact same reasons? Do you think the anti-Enbridge crowd support the pipeline if the conditions the provincial government set are met? I doubt it, because their ultimate goal is not to do it safely, but rather not to do it at all. Obviously my assumption could be wrong, but I guess we’ll just have to wait and see what Enbridge does next.

Oh jesus they could sell some of you guys anything.
What condiditons weren’t met now that were different than three weeks ago?
I’ve got a bridge for sale - contact Christy Clark for details.

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”]Oh jesus they could sell some of you guys anything.
[/quote]

Because environmentalists delve so deep into the issues, right? Watch the video to see a bunch of forward thinking people sign a petition banning water.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yi3erdgVVTw)

Sure, I’ve seen videos of right-wingers making fools of themselves too. What does that prove?

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”]Oh jesus they could sell some of you guys anything.
What condiditons weren’t met now that were different than three weeks ago?
I’ve got a bridge for sale - contact Christy Clark for details.[/quote]

Not sure what the big deal is here. I think it was pretty obvious when Clark went to Alberta with demands that this project was doomed. It seemed logical to me that Enbridge was a no, and Kinder Morgan was a yes.

Um nothing? If you take a sec and think you’d get that I’m making the exact same point as you.

dont think it is dead yet, NEB will probably grant the license, Enbridge will try to appease the natives, ie more money, and the other conditions will probably be met. if not hitch a ride on the oil trains coming our way, either pipeline or railcars we are getting that oil Correct me if i’m wrong but going by rails will only need federal permission since trains are federally regulated.

I should add that it is a “no” in the eyes of the provincial government as it stands right now. The federal government is the one that really decides, and you never know what can happen there. I wouldn’t go as far as BTravenn and say it is definitively dead.

Oh, so you agree that BC Liberals rejecting = good, everyone else rejecting = bad?

If anybody can get things done, it’s these guys.

[quote=“MiG”]

Oh, so you agree that BC Liberals rejecting = good, everyone else rejecting = bad?[/quote]

Two things:

1. I haven’t heard anything that resembles it being bad that the general population and the opposing political party don’t support the pipeline. It has seemed for quite some time that the majority were already rejecting the project.

2. The difference here in my view is that many groups, communities and a certain political party rejected the project even before due process ran its course. It was fair to allow Enbridge to present its case and outline its plans and I would expect nothing less from a governing body.

[quote=“MiG”]

Oh, so you agree that BC Liberals rejecting = good, everyone else rejecting = bad?[/quote]

Of course I’m not saying that. Are you just being contrary to be contrary?

I made a comment to herbie trying to allude to the idea that every side of an issue has it’s share of followers who will blindly accept what their ‘leader’ says–I thought it was simple enough idea, but there’s the explanation since you seem confused.

I’m not trying to start an argument with you, I was making an observation to another person’s post. If you want to keep up this straw man act, that’s up to you–but I think at this point I’ve clarified it as much as I can.

Now, since I’m sensing that you’d like me to revisit the original post I made to you (unrelated to the other posts you’ve incorrectly bunched it with), I think there is a big difference between, for example, Jenn Rice et al being against this kind of project from the start and the BC Liberals waiting until things played out to state their official position. ‘We are against this in its current incarnation’ is not the same as ‘We are against this.’

Also, as someone said earlier, Christy Clark has been wary about the Northern Gateway for months.

I only made one point in this thread. You said you’re making the exact point as me.

I think you just confused me with herbie.