No politics?

Shit like this needs it end:

cbc.ca/montreal/story/qc-oqlf20060106.html

And for another reason not to vote for harper here it is:

cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Politics/Ca … 29-cp.html

Scrap the liberals plan to cut taxes for low income families, to “implement his tax plan” which he has not laid out in detail yet of course but he gives his word it will save low income people more money than the liberals plan.

I have problems trusting the word of a politician. this definitly lays out my point above about harper being for the rich and against lower income people.

Oh but dont worry he will save us 29 billion :laughing: oh and I will give you a billion from my bank account too.

Someone said “He might of hit a moose on his way there” well he must use that excuse over and over because here is a so-call well sort of a wanna-be MP who has one of the worst records on the hill for being in the house, he has missed many important meetings in the riding which he was supposed to represent. I should not have to repeat myself , sorry there fun seeker but we should not have to see a repeat of Mike Scott. When we talk of Liberals spending our money well Scott was being paid for no shows as well.

See, it is hard to confirm the integrity of your arguement as this all ‘happened’ about ten years ago.

Woah, weren’t you the one bringing up the 1990’s during the last provincial election?

How far back do we go to “forget” about the Reform Party’s views? How far back do we go to forget that no self-respecting Progressive Conservative (people like Joe Clark) is a member of the neo-Reform Party?

Most people don’t vote FOR one person or party, as much as they vote against another for whatever reason. I will give my vote for the NDP as unlike the other two parties, they have not given me any reason to vote against them, and have not yet been given an opportunity to govern. The Liberals and Conservatives have both had their chance to rule and subsequently have given all of us numerous reasons to not want them back in power. It’s too bad the rest of Canada doesn’t see it that way, or are not willing to give them a chance. Looking at the local candidate Nathan Cullen, and the National leader Jack Layton both seem to be the obvious best choices amongst the competition.

Yes, the Liberals and the Progressive Conservatives have both held power.

But Mike Scott’s Reform Party, thankfully, hasn’t.

Remember, Mike was a member of the Reform team that didn’t believe in dinosaurs because they weren’t mentioned in the Bible.

[quote=“MiG”]Yes, the Liberals and the Progressive Conservatives have both held power.

But Mike Scott’s Reform Party, thankfully, hasn’t.

Remember, Mike was a member of the Reform team that didn’t believe in dinosaurs because they weren’t mentioned in the Bible.[/quote]

You wouldn’t happen to have a link to this would you? :wink:

Ah come on, you remember the old Reform party, don’t you? Or are you guys too young to remember Stockwell Day and Preston Manning. Stock was the guy who showed up at the dinosaur museum in Drumheller and said he didn’t believe in dinosaurs.

But if you want some Mike Scott goodness, just do a google groups search for “Mike Scott Reform” and you’ll find lots of great stuff from his time as an MP.

groups.google.com/groups?q=%22mi … %22+reform

I like this quote:

and

[quote]Mike Scott, Reform’s pride and joy who represents Skeena wants
citizens to arm themselves to protect themselves from the government.
He said, “the major danger of a democratically elected government is
unstable predatory mob rule.” [/quote]

I was just harassing you :wink: but thanks.

I have very vague memories of these people, as with many things at that point in my life.

Speaking of vague

cbc.ca/story/canadavotes2006 … 60107.html

Dont you just love how vague harper is being about his “tax cuts”

I especially like this part

And of course there is this wonderful tidbit of information

[quote]
Members of Harper’s team said they had costed their plan, estimating Tory tax cuts would total $32 billion while Liberal cuts would total $29 billion.
Later Saturday, on the campaign plane, Stephen Harper told reporters that the Conservative tax cuts would actually total about $49 billion. [/quote]

I dont know about you but to me that looks like they either

A. dont know what the hell their “tax plan” is or
B. They are being intentionally vague and misleading,

Judging by the rest of their campaign I am going to go with a little of A and B.

Mmm mob rule…

Mike

Woah.

As much as I don’t want the Conservatives to win (federally), I’d rather have a Conservative representing the North Coast, in a minority government with power. Because the Liberals have pretty much no chance of winning here, and they won’t do so well federally either.

But what you’re saying is basically eliminate the competition because they’re a threat. I know because someone deliberately tried to eliminate me out of a school “mock” election last year. So much for democracy. Anyways, back to the point: under the Canada Elections Act, a person can’t be a candidate if he/she was:

(i) a person who was a candidate in a previous election and for whom a return, report, document or declaration has not been provided under subsection 451(1), if the time and any extension for providing it have expired.

And I highly doubt Mike Scott would be that idiotic to not re-declare his extension.

As for Nathan Cullen, I would like to know what he has done for our region specifically so far as a MP. I remember you talking about Herb Pond just “shaking hands” with people, and doing nothing advocating better social programs for the community, yet I haven’t seen anything that Nathan Cullen has done other than “say” that he wants so-and-so for our community. Which anyone can do, unless I’m mistaken.

Well Mikeh, have you not been paying any attention here, you see Herb has the City of Prince Rupert . Now Nathan Cullen as our NDP MP represents people in the Skeena-Bulkley Valley and he has delivered. He has been in the house on the hill and I believe he has kept appointments. He still finds time to shake hands and remembers whose hand he shook. Mikeh, have Mr. Scott put his record on the table and answer some of these questions as to why he left his post and the people who trusted him. Why he would not attend the signing of the Nisga Treaty?

Well I never would vote for the Conservatives as long as I can draw a breath … but I would never vote for Mike Scott no matter what party he ran for. Back in my days as a photocopier and fax tech I had some equipment in his businesses (before he was a MP) and man what a disrespectful jerk. He basically thought I was dirt and he should get his copier and service for free … typical Conservative come to think of it.

I’ll tell you one thing nathan has done. $58 million was spent in the BRAND initiative, broadband for rural access. The definition of ‘communities’ was vague, so it got interpreted as ‘reserves’. The list was incomplete and missed some of those too.
By it’s charter, it was supposed to ‘co-operate with LOCAL internet providers’, but every single one decided it was just another gov’t rip-off to steal their markets, serve the native population only and then celebrate their accomplishments with a bureaucratic group hug. We decided to participate to protect ourselves.
True to form, they ripped clean thru our area and stole a reserve away. I spoke with Nathan several times, and I’m sure merely mentioning that was the only reason they didn’t steal all our customers on reserve land.
Now it’s one thing for Telus to lure our customers away by offering up to $300 in incentives, that’s their sharholders money. But I have a problem when the tax dollars I harvest for the people who are supposed to represent me is used to screw me over.
In the end, we managed to get included in the project here and deliver broadband to what I believe are the only taxpaying citizens served by the project.
Now I only have to listen to customers whining that I won’t give them $300 worth of goodies…
So that one thing is one thing more than our former MP Dick Harris ever gave to this town with several consecutive terms.
And my woman NOTICED the tax reduction on her last check! They want to take it away. I am totally opposed to clawing it back, reducing the basic personal exemption (so more low income earners PAY) so that you can save a mere penny on what you spend. The utter callousness that the $350 they take back off income tax could be saved if you were a low income earner who could buy a $45,000 car is beyond comprehension.
The Tories appeal to the lowest common denominators of society with their announcements.
-minimum sentences: for people who think they know better than a judge on a case by case basis. One law for all, or more accurately one sentence fits all.
-1% reduction in GST. Wanna help? Take the GST off home purchases, than you’d save us $7000 or more and more of us would buy houses. More sales = more construction, more wood used here. That’s less wood subject to the Yankee duty. Take it off clothes. Take it off non-prescription medicine. Take it off toilet paper and tampons and soap. Leave it at 7% on a car or a Big Mac!
-they want to raise the age of consent to 16. So if I catch my 15 yr old boffing an 18 yr old guy, the LAW can step in. Screw that, I’ll boff him, what my kid that age does with her body is none of the government’s business.

I stopped myself in that rant. I’d like to simplify my contempt of conservative values. Inspite of the rhetoric that ‘liberals’ favour gov’t intrusion in our daily lives, it boils down to:
‘liberals’ support LESS intrusion in your lives. Unless your a laissez-faire capitalist. If you’re not one of those vote ‘liberal’.
‘conservatives’ are the ones that always say ‘I don’t like that’ about your personal lives and make laws to stop you.

[quote]And for another reason not to vote for harper here it is:

cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Politics/Ca … 29-cp.html [/quote]

Let me supply the rest of the information you failed to provide:

**But he made no apologies, saying the move is part of a broad tax plan that would substantially reduce taxes for everyone.

“We have a tax-reduction plan, the Liberals have a tax-reduction plan,” Harper said during a campaign stop in New Hamburg, Ont., to roll out a tax promise involving charities.

“We’ll be doing our plan, not their plan.”**

I can think of two reasons for not voting for them…1. Failure to live up to their promises to voters by supporting $70 million into the Gun Registry. 2. Allowing a confessed thief to take the NDP nomination in Vancouver Centre. As for not having a chance to govern, I don’t see that as a reason to give them my vote. I don’t give out pity votes

[quote]… I’d rather have a Conservative representing the North Coast, in a minority government with power. Because the Liberals have pretty much no chance of winning here, and they won’t do so well federally either.

As for Nathan Cullen, I would like to know what he has done for our region specifically so far as a MP. I remember you talking about Herb Pond just “shaking hands” with people, and doing nothing advocating better social programs for the community, yet I haven’t seen anything that Nathan Cullen has done other than “say” that he wants so-and-so for our community. Which anyone can do, unless I’m mistaken.[/quote]

I strongly agree.

Your ideas for cuts to the GST are good…I like it.

I’m sure you’d change you tune if your daughter was a 15 year old prostitute. Actually it is the governments business to create laws to protect our kids in the only way that they can.

I dunno about that one. The Gun Registry has provided the feds and RCMP with alot of information about the public, their personal property and given them sepecific rights to access your home and your belongings.

Oh, I thought the Reform Party was in favour of gun control now?

Why did they change their minds?

I wonder if Mike Scott has changed his mind.

Which party is against gun control?

Can someone post a list of all the candidates and the parties that they represent for our riding?

[quote=“MiG”]

Oh, I thought the Reform Party was in favour of gun control now?

Why did they change their minds?

I wonder if Mike Scott has changed his mind.

Which party is against gun control?[/quote]

I am assuming that when you speak of the Reform Party that you mean the Conservatives??? Gun Control and the Gun Registry are two different things. No one wants to see tragedies like the one that happened on Boxing Day in Toronto. Opponents to the Gun Registry have always maintained and still maintain that the Registry will do nothing to prevent crimes involving guns. I think that it is obvious now that they were correct. The Conservatives and old Reformers like Mike Scott as well as many other groups and citizens were and are opposed to the Registry. The money could have been much better funding policing and gang related task forces. The Liberals were so far off of the mark thinking that a national Gun Registry would prevent crime. It just ended up costing taxpayers over $1 billion and counting to have hunters who use firearms to feed themselves and their families put under a microscope.

Gun Control to keep them out of the hands of criminals and children?? Yes!!

$ 1 billion+ to have the average citizen register his hunting rifles?? No!!

I don’t see where anyone changed their minds. Those for it and those against it seem to be maintaining their positions.

So Mike Scott still thinks we all should have guns to protect ourselves from the government?