No LNG!

[quote=“PLA”]

They should not matter whatever their “decision” is, they’re in a political mess right now.[/quote]

Petronas and the provincial government do not appear to share your view that “They should not matter …”

Rich Coleman made some interesting comments about Lax Kw’alaams and Petronas a few days ago:

"The LNG minister reviewed how discussions continue on with the Lax Kw’alaams and how he believes that there has been a lot of work done since the highly publicized votes rejecting the Petronas benefit package of last month.

Coleman noted that while the Lax Kw’alaams First Nation wants the economic development, they still have concerns related to the fishery and that there is additional work being done on the proposal to accommodate those concerns." < northcoastreview.blogspot.ca/201 … hwest.html >.

lmao by who’s definition ? yours? lol…

Let’s hear yours.

[quote=“BTravenn”]

They should not matter whatever their “decision” is, they’re in a political mess right now.

Petronas and the provincial government do not appear to share your view that “They should not matter …”

Rich Coleman made some interesting comments about Lax Kw’alaams and Petronas a few days ago:

"The LNG minister reviewed how discussions continue on with the Lax Kw’alaams and how he believes that there has been a lot of work done since the highly publicized votes rejecting the Petronas benefit package of last month.

Coleman noted that while the Lax Kw’alaams First Nation wants the economic development, they still have concerns related to the fishery and that there is additional work being done on the proposal to accommodate those concerns." < northcoastreview.blogspot.ca/201 … hwest.html >.[/quote]

Fair enough. I’m pretty concerned about what they’re on to right now.

[quote=“Astro”]

lmao by who’s definition ? yours? lol…[/quote]

northcoastreview.blogspot.ca/201 … -down.html

calgaryherald.com/business/energ … low-prices

Do we need to explain AGAIN to you how this article has no bearing…Petronas has financially agreed to build this terminal…the only thing that can derail it now is the CEAA saying no to the environmental assessment…that is all.

The articles about prices, costs…that is all just talk now…the financial commitment has already been made.

u need to read the article Again! it will be tied up in the courts 4 a very long time!

I doubt it…money is a very powerful thing. Its just wishful thinking on your part.

Long long after Port Simpson sort out their own civil war?

they are just speculating on a law suit by Lax,

“Petronas can probably find ways to mitigate environmental impacts and avoid a lawsuit”
“The Lax Kw’alaams are among several aboriginal groups that claim title to the coastal land where Petronas wants to build the LNG terminal.”
“Meanwhile, Pacific NorthWest LNG continues to consult with groups including Lax Kw’alaams, Michael Culbert, president of the venture, said in an interview earlier this month. The developer’s proposal to build a suspension bridge to avoid the fish habitat is one way the venture aims to address environmental issues”

and it has already been established Lelu is Lax territory so any other native band threatening law suits over the land is moot, they are just pissed they are not getting any money because none of the pipeline goes through their territory.

I would suggest alleycat should actually read the article that she/he posted, it is all speculation going over the same ole same ole.
and hate to say this but the supreme court has stated for economical purposes they can override the ruling on development on traditional native territory without their approval as long as they made a concerted effort to involve and appease them, no court time needed.

and thanks for this to North Coast Review

northcoastreview.blogspot.ca/201 … 13-to.html

lets watch Ms Rice squirm on this vote

[quote=“Jabber63”]they are just speculating on a law suit by Lax,

… it is all speculation going over the same ole same ole.
and hate to say this but the supreme court has stated for economical purposes they can override the ruling on development on traditional native territory without their approval as long as they made a concerted effort to involve and appease them, no court time needed.[/quote]

Yes, it is all just speculation. There are reports that Petronas, the Province and Lax Kw’alaams are talking about how to address concerns about fish habitat. It’s probably best to wait for the outcome before drawing any conclusions or inferences; likewise the CEAA panel’s report.

As for the Supreme Court of Canada, what it really said was that aboriginal people do not have a ‘veto’ over economic development, but that the Crown has duties to consult and to ‘accommodate’ any infringements of aboriginal rights. What is a fair and reasonable consultation or accommodation depends on the circumstances. It appears that Lax Kw’alaams and the Province have had some serious discussions around proposed LNG projects, including at Lelu Island.

If an aboriginal community considers that the Crown (federal or provincial) failed to discharge its duties they can ask a court to review the Crown’s conduct. That can result in orders that approvals based on inadequate consultation or accommodation be quashed and that the Crown must resume discussions before proceeding. The information is sketchy, but that does not seem to be the direction this issue is heading at present.

bloomberg.com/news/articles/ … lng-prices

Not sure how long the nuclear power plants are going to operate, the restart of those plants are very controversial in Japan.

I’m a strong supporter of LNG, but I’m concerned about short term prices. LNG prices were cut in half so far this year.

oilpro.com/links/detail/20663/ir … ment-39241

LNG is 50% cleaner than coal, cleaner than oil, and doesn’t cause an environmental disaster if it leaks.

The world (especially the third world) really needs to move away from coal, which causes all kinds of nasty pollution when it burns, and switch over to LNG for industrial usage, e.g. generating electricity.

Just my opinion

ok ppl lets get real it does not matter what kind of scandal is happening in malaysia or who gets replaced or voted out, any decision on PNW will be done as a business decision, the price of LNG right now does not matter because it is a 25 year project and no one , i repeat no one can tell me what the price will be in 5 years or even a year from now, not even the experts, they can only guess, that goes with whether there is a glut or a shortage of LNG in the market, one day they say there will be a shortage, another day they will say there will be a glut, and round and round they go,
as for a business decision lets look at the facts, right now to borrow money the interest rates are so low they are almost at zero so carrying costs on interest rates are neglible, then they borrow in US dollars and the US dollar has risen at least 15% over all currencies in the last 6 months, against the Canadian dollar almost 30%, so they get more bang for the buck, next material costs, most major natural resources or material, ie steel, are down about 50% right now so again costs are lower to build, next Petronas owns Progress Natural Resources outright so any natural gas they sell to PNW is cash in their pocket only, not the PNW’s partner’s, and finally PNW’s partners are contractually signed to buy their percentage of the project regardless if there is a surplus on the market or not and most analysts do not take this into account, the only obstacle to this project going forward is the CEA, yes Lax also can derail but if the CEA takes all their objections and says they have been met then they don’t have a case over the environment side of it

so plz stop talking about the analysts for they get paid either way, if you read their blogs another month down the road they will say something completely different. plus they are comparing apples to oranges

I know that there are those who are against LNG development and will search for anything in hopes to try to show that its not going to happen. Maybe it is or maybe it isn’t. I personally hope we have some development, Better LNG than oil, but I have a feeling that we are going to see oil in this area , either coming by rail or by FN’s (they are planning something, we just don’t know what it is yet) There is still too much activity going on to make me not believe that an LNG facility isn’t going to be built. Rupert’s infrastructure is crumbling and money has to come from somewhere. The federal and provincial government’s, regardless of which party are not going to pay for it. My hope is that someday we will have a sewage treatment facility so we can stop dumping in the harbor.

thank you for a positive note. This area seems filled with negative attitudes

Nothing wrong with being skeptical and taking things with a grain of salt. But if you enjoy spreading all those doom and gloom stuff without explanation like allycat1527 did, then that’s what I would call a negative attitude.