No Boys allowed

NDP adopts equity policy for nominating new candidates

vancouversun.com/health/Siho … story.html

Just one more reason, in a LONG list of a reasons for which I will NEVER vote for the BC NDP!

I don’t really understand the policy, it’s not particularly democratic and certainly won’t be reflective of each individual riding association and who they believe would best represent the party and the riding’s residents. I always kind of thought politics was a case of the best person for the job, at least in theory, sometimes in practice that isn’t always the case :wink:

I don’t understand the policy either. Sometimes governments put in affirmative action quotas as a means of addressing an imbalance where the organizations (business, education, whatever) are unwilling or incapable of correcting that imbalance.

By putting in the policy, it looks like the NDP doesn’t think its members are capable of selecting a woman or a member of a visible minority without having a policy to force them to do so.

[quote=“DWhite”]I don’t understand the policy either. Sometimes governments put in affirmative action quotas as a means of addressing an imbalance where the organizations (business, education, whatever) are unwilling or incapable of correcting that imbalance.

By putting in the policy, it looks like the NDP doesn’t think its members are capable of selecting a woman or a member of a visible minority without having a policy to force them to do so.[/quote]

That would seem to be the impression, kind of a we know better than you attitude. Also, for those that sit on the fence politically it kind of sends the wrong idea as to where their priorities might be,I don’t know but I haven’t really heard a great clamour across the province for guaranteed positions for any number of groups.

It should be, at least at the riding association level, left to each riding to decide who best should represent them in an election, not dictated to them by some party central committee.

all parties are doing that to some extent and yes they think women need help to get the nominations, instead of the best person whether it be woman or man, because by doing this they think women voters would vote for their party