New Year's Resolution... have you kept it?

Well, we’re 2 weeks into the new year.

Did you have a New Year’s resolution? Are you still keeping it?

Well, since I cant keep a resolution I went a different route than usual. Instead of resolving to do something I wanted to do I resolved not to do it.

For example I resolved to continue being underpaid. Perhaps this reverse psychology will work on my life… most likely not.

I want to buy a house this year… but i dont think the bank will let me :frowning: bastards. I pay enough rent to pay more than what a mortage payment would be and have been for 3 years :unamused:

My new years resolution is holding strong at 1280x1024. Other than that, I havn’t been hitting the gym yet or eating better, though I really should. KD is so cheap though, and I also resolved to spend less money… So it’s a win/lose battle so far.

Yeah, My New Years Resolution is to stop smoking Cigarettes on my birthday this year and I am sticking to it so far.

I’m trying the “no more tech support” resolution, but I’m already sliding a bit (usually by accident, without realizing what I’m doing).

I, for one, hope you don’t keep that one. :smiley:

Nah, it’s just gotten to be too much. It’s the only conversation anybody ever has with me, so I’ve decided to just shrug and say “I have no idea” whenever anybody asks a tech question. It’s weird how that just ends conversations.

Random person at the mall: Hi Miguel, how are you? How was Christmas?
Me: Well, it was great, I went to …
Random Person: yeah yeah, that’s nice. I’m having this problem with my computer, it seems the flux capacitor isn’t working as advertised when I click the dishwasher icon. Can you tell me how to fix that? What causes that?
Me: I have no idea.
Random Person: Ok … umm…

Heh.

So yeah, no more tech support for me. Stress free for 12 days!

Yes, I see your point and I think you are doing the right thing.

So I was thinking to myself Blink Blink , "Did I see Miguel at the mall ?"Nah , that Random Person, I don’t have icon with a dishwasher on it . Hope you don’t keep that resolution there brother.

Heh, no, not one person in particular, don’t worry.

Here’s the dishwasher icon, for future reference:

Actually, it was a former CHSS employee that you may know that pointed out that it looked like a dishwasher.

Also, other New Year’s resolution: stop eating crap food. Man, this is a tough one. I’m an addict for crap food.

Another resolution: get organized and be neater.

I know the feeling. Can’t even post a letter or buy groceries without getting pestered.

(shrug)“Bring it in, Keegan will fix it. He’s dayshift. I just work graveyards now calling people who haven’t paid their bills.”

(shrug) Call our help line at 1-900-…

(shrug) I don’t know anymore. Jesus told me to buy a Dell.

Or just ignore them and ask a question back. “Didn’t they overthrow the Communists when bread was half this price in Russia?”

[quote=“MiG”]Nah, it’s just gotten to be too much. It’s the only conversation anybody ever has with me, so I’ve decided to just shrug and say “I have no idea” whenever anybody asks a tech question. It’s weird how that just ends conversations.

Random person at the mall: Hi Miguel, how are you? How was Christmas?
Me: Well, it was great, I went to …
Random Person: yeah yeah, that’s nice. I’m having this problem with my computer, it seems the flux capacitor isn’t working as advertised when I click the dishwasher icon. Can you tell me how to fix that? What causes that?
Me: I have no idea.
Random Person: Ok … umm…

Heh.

So yeah, no more tech support for me. Stress free for 12 days![/quote]

It took you that long to start doing that :wink: I no longer fix computer’s and have purged most of the knowledge on how to fix windows problems in favour of more interesting and challenging things.

Fixing peoples computers was a great gig for a while but now it is too much of a hassle and distracts me from higher paying work.

I will “fix” computers for some of the business’ I do contract work for but my fixing is a simple format and lockdown of the machine. The machines I have fixed are locked down tight enough that they can only actually do their work and nothing else. I have yet to be asked to “fix” them again, and no I didnt lose the contract :wink:

I think I know the reason we are all asked to do tech support is because people think we are the standard geeky people with no lives. so why cant we do it we have all this spare time.

:unamused:

I have about 1hr of relaxation time a week, anyone else have loads of free time?

I’m sure there’s a very funny joke in here but I can’t think of it.

My resolution was to start smoking, but it’s actually harder than I thought it would be.

it get’s easier, the quitting is the hard part :cry: something always happens to make you snap and buy a pack.

http://www.citytel.net/~mringer/mig2.JPG

Mike

[quote=“MiG”]Heh, no, not one person in particular, don’t worry.

Here’s the dishwasher icon, for future reference:

Actually, it was a former CHSS employee that you may know that pointed out that it looked like a dishwasher.

Also, other New Year’s resolution: stop eating crap food. Man, this is a tough one. I’m an addict for crap food.

Another resolution: get organized and be neater.[/quote]

Oh god, it wasnt my father was it?

I never really did make one, but I’ll make two:

• Don’t procrastinate (as much)
  • Get back into my healthy eating routine

In the summer I ate so healthy, lost a lot of weight I gained when I decided I’d rather design websites for the summer than get a part-time job and I gained some unwanted stuff. Since Christmas I’ve been slacking though.

EDIT: I forgot the reason why I was going to post on here, and that was to reply to what MiG said.

So yeah, I was going to ask if these people who want tech support butter you up first?

I usually get they

[quote=“SteveDVS”]I never really did make one, but I’ll make two:

• Don’t procrastinate (as much)
  • Get back into my healthy eating routine

In the summer I ate so healthy, lost a lot of weight I gained when I decided I’d rather design websites for the summer than get a part-time job and I gained some unwanted stuff. Since Christmas I’ve been slacking though. [/quote]

Be prepared to spend alot on food, I spend about 600/mo for both my girlfriend and myself. I eat really well because I want to stay healthy, and yes im working on quitting smoking :wink:

If you cheap out on food you will get crap food, and hey you get what you put in… so if you put crap in you get crap out… erm haha i guess thats not really a good argument but you get the idea.

[quote]
EDIT: I forgot the reason why I was going to post on here, and that was to reply to what MiG said.

So yeah, I was going to ask if these people who want tech support butter you up first?

I usually get they

For me its more of

Hey can you tell me how to fix my computer:

me: no but if you backup your data I will wipe your computer and reinstall it for $65

Them: Backup? how do i do that.

Me: future shop should be able to do this for you.

I refuse to help people who know absolutely nothing about computers because it just comes back to bite you in the ass. They expect you to support every issue they have for free because “it wasnt happening before you fixed it”

:unamused:

Yeah, it’s interesting how people will spend $1500+ on a name-brand computer only to never take the time to use it. I still know many people who don’t know what adware/spyware is, don’t have an adware/spyware remover, and then ask me why their computer is running so slow.