New look for the Daily News!

As for the new look of the Daily News… I like it… I thought it was rather Globe and Mailish… or similar to other big newspapers layout wise, but I hope the colour pictures end up getting clearer, they still seem to be quite blurry and the lines don’t matchup.

[quote][/quote]

The Colour will improve over the next few weeks as the pressman get their new press unit all tuned in. I think the last couple days have looked better already.

What about the blurriness and darkness of the photos? Maybe your folks can take a crash course in photography from the local club?

The local photo club is a good one here in Rupert. I think every photographer, amateur or professional could learn a bit by hanging out with that gang. The show at the museum was very good.
The darkness in our photos does tend to be a press issue as well depending what part of the run you pick up it can be a dark or light photo.
As for bluriness… haha…
what can I say?.. we use “auto focus” cameras…

Maybe the blurring is just caused by the shaking hands of those hard boozing reporters! :smiley:

So paperboyz I assume you work for the Daily News …

On another note - I phoned the Daily News to enquire about the subscription rate and had to leave a voicemail even though the office was still open.  If the rate does not go down considering that two days are now “free” I will be canceling my subscription.  Furthermore on the “free” days the paper is delivered much later than usual because the carrier has more papers to deliver.  Last Wednesday we received our paper at 8pm rather than the usual 5pm - and I know of another neighbourhood where the poor carrier wasn’t finished last Friday until 11pm.

I suspect that the Daily News would like to put the new free papers out of business but there are better ways to do that than offering the same thing for free twice a week.  How about improving regional NW coverage, improving court reporting, reinstating the crime report, bringing back Shoe in the comics, produce intelligent editorials rather than some of the recent garbage slamming animal rights activists and others who question the status quo.  And one last thing - nothing will get me to quit reading a paper faster than continuing all your front page stories elsewhere in the paper.  You should be able to read a paper from front to back in one go without constantly flipping through pages to find the rest of the story.

Yes, blaming the rain doesn’t quite cut it.

Thanks for the comments.

The Police Beat is back this week. For the past couple months the local RCMP did not have a media liason so we weren’t able to get all the regular information for the Beat from them.

Delivery issues. We’ve been quite late off the presses for the past few weeks with all our changes. I’d like to let everyone know it’s not your carriers who are late. We have worked out most of the issues including moving our deadlines to be on the press at least an hour earlier. Hopefully this will get our paper back on the street at a somewhat normal time.
Cheers,
Chad

Of all JJR’s points, I most agree with urging the editor to actually edit. It’s annoying to have turn to page 3, then page 5 (on some occasions) to finish a story. No news story, save something huge, like 9/11, is worth the space the paper regularly uses. So much of those stories is filler: redundant quotes and background of background material. You’re either fattening up your local content numbers for head office, or your editor is afraid he might hurt his reporters’ feelings by cutting their stories; neither reason flies.

Remember, most people have short attention spans and, when they read the paper, they don’t want it to be work.

Not to be to picky, but for whatever reason my paper carrier decided I wasn’t worthy of a “Free Daily News on this Wednesday”, normally I would have purchased at a news stand, but ahem I figured why bother if I got it for free, now I don’t have one at all…

Woe is me I know, but geez either its free or I have to pay, not to concerned either way, but consistency on the paper’s end might be nice…

We were ‘missed’ by our delivery person yesterday as well.  A quick visit into the Daily’s office this afternoon resulted in last night’s as well as today’s paper, just in case we were missed again. 

We were surprised to see an ad for delivery persons for The Extra in the classifieds…another editing issue, as there isn’t an Extra anymore.  Right? 

I’ve been told by the families of two different carriers that the kids were given one day’s notice that they would have to deliver many more papers on Wednesday and Friday.  In one case the number of papers was to jump from 28 to 100 - that carrier refused to deliver the extra papers.  The carriers have also been told that they will be compensated for the extra deliveries - but not told what the new rates will be - so they are delivering on a promise right now.  As well the other folks who delivered the Extra were let go on very  short notice and apparently are not being used to deliver the increased load on Wed/Fri.

I hope paperboyz will enlighten us and also tell us that home delivery subscription rates will drop since two days are now free.

I think there can be a system devised for homes which never recieved the paper before, sign something to get the free paper, but still don’t have to pay for it.  Kind of like a subscription, but the service is still free.  That way, the kids don’t get bogged down delivering papers no one is going to read, and just toss away or use to line bird cages, and the Daily News saves on paper and printing costs.

If you have missed deliveries, please let us know so we can look into why you had a missed delivery and can make sure you get it for the next one.

Home delivery rates have dropped to 9.23 per month, or $0.71 per paid day.

Smart*$% - Did you work for a paper before? It sounds like you may have.

Come on, Paperboyz, you can write “ass.” God won’t punish you.

Ah heck, why not just give it away five days a week! I don’t quite understand the rationale behind the two days free thing anyways, it only serves to confuse the paper boys, store clerks and subscribers.

Now if the other two, three or whatever amount of free papers we now have all go out of business, will the value of Wednesdays and Fridays suddenly increase, and thus we then lose the two free days we have been given?

Is it a plan to go to two days a week (Wed and Fridays) instead of a daily paper?

Must admit to a certain amount of sympathy with the local street carrier, who probably didn’t anticipate the heavy workload when he signed on to deliver the Daily in the beginning.

Suspect that there will be a fair amount of angry parents phoning after Wednesdays and Fridays when the young ones don’t get home until 8 pm having hauled their papers across the neighbourhood.

Is there an Image I can see of the newspaper I once delivered on 5th and 4th West?

No, I have never worked for a newspaper before. 

I was also wondering if I could phone the Daily and “opt-out” of the free paper. Not that I want to, but I’d feel better knowing that I could.

Agreed.  Folks who pay for home delivery should now get a 40% discount on their subscription costs imho.

Ah, Newsprint Spam.

Does everybody get the “free edition” ?  Or just those who request it?